Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Fortnightly competition -# No. 25 : A bad day at the office ! Comments and discussion

Malo1961
Posted 16/09/2009 - 21:17 Link
You know the drill.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
mikew
Posted 27/09/2009 - 21:56 Link
This is a tough subject IMO! Still I had an idea and an entry so I'm content!

Gregmoll - TD5 engine? Not the dreaded no oil pressure due to a poorly fitted part on the BMW engine was it? If so unless you caught it quickly you may have a blown engine. Or is it a V8 in which case you're probably OK as I had one V8 that showed almost no pressure for ages!

I hope it was a trivial problem!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
gregmoll
Posted 27/09/2009 - 21:59 Link
Hi, Thank goodness it's a V8 so very tolerant of abuse, I could not find the problem so had the car brought home and will strip it this weekend.
Edited by gregmoll: 27/09/2009 - 22:01
mikew
Posted 27/09/2009 - 22:06 Link
Can it be just a stuck pressure relief valve or at worst the oil pump needing an overhaul which as I recall isn't that hard or expensive? (Or as it was for me once the flipping cable had corroded and was earthing) In many ways the V8 is lovely but I found it to be a thirsty and fussy swine. If the sun went behind a cloud a misfire would kick in, when it came out again the misfire would move to another cylinder . Sounds good though and have a lovely power delivery.

Mike

gregmoll
Posted 27/09/2009 - 22:19 Link
As I was part of a group I did not want to hold up the whole party so only checked that the oil filter bypass had not clogged up. Left the car for the AA to collect and hitched my trailer to a friends Defender and had a good weekend, took some nice pics of Rhino and other game and birds.

Greg
mikew
Posted 28/09/2009 - 07:21 Link
Yes all right don't rub it in I have seen offroading in SA before and it looks spectacular both the driving and the scenery. For a while I lurked on an SA off road forum and it was amazing.

I suppose at some point we should get this thread back on topic.

Mike

gregmoll
Posted 28/09/2009 - 10:48 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="cardiff_gareth"]
Gregmoll - That looks like a safari snorkel but the top filter doesn't look standard? Nice rock sliders, is that an ARB front bull bar :

Short and sweet reply before I get kicked off this list
No, not standard but a cyclonic for dust and the bull bar and sliders were made by a friend.
Greg
Daniel Bridge
Posted 28/09/2009 - 14:30 Link
gregmoll wrote:
As I was part of a group I did not want to hold up the whole party so only checked that the oil filter bypass had not clogged up. Left the car for the AA to collect and hitched my trailer to a friends Defender and had a good weekend, took some nice pics of Rhino and other game and birds.

Greg

Sounds like a truly terrible day at the office!

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Hyram
Posted 29/09/2009 - 17:59 Link
I really like mikew's entry but I do hope that letter is made up

I had a similar thought for a shot of closed factory gates with a notice about administration but did not come across anything suitable.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
mikew
Posted 29/09/2009 - 19:33 Link
It is made up and thank you for your concern. Self employed so I guess I'd have to sack myself

Mike

amoringello
Posted 29/09/2009 - 23:26 Link
Looks like my entry is "redundant". I guess I should have paid more attention to what was already posted. Argh!

Sadly, mine is not made up. I do not believe it is a great image, but its all I got until the next "office" comes around....
mikew
Posted 30/09/2009 - 07:47 Link
Sorry to hear about your 'separation' from your employer. Gee what's wrong with plain speaking. Will you find another job easily do you think?

I know it's tough in the States at the moment. A friend's husband took a job on the East Coast just to be in employment while the family stayed in Boston (my Geography is appalling but I know it was miles away) and he was let go after a couple of months and is very depressed about finding more work.

Good luck and I hope something good turns up soon.

mike

amoringello
Posted 30/09/2009 - 12:55 Link
He, he, yeah I know what ya mean. I actually had to look up what a "Redundancy notice" was. Dunno if it is a regional saying, but I never heard of it before. I think I'd feel worse being told I was "redundant" rather than simply not being needed any more. Actually the company dissolved due to lack of sales, so it doesn't feel that harsh.

At this point I'm happy for the time off. The work environment was pretty bad.
So, I am hoping to get some extra time behind the camera now...
mikew
Posted 30/09/2009 - 13:18 Link
Still can't be good to have no income stream. I can well imagine that the workplace wasn't too good.

Hope it all works out OK.

Mike

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.