Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Flickr - How to increase traffic to my Photostream

petemasty
Posted 10/12/2009 - 17:26 Link
Have just joined Flickr. The reason for doing it was to direct visits to my website (not really worked, though its only been a week.).

I have noticed that some rather mundane ( and frankly poorly taken shots)have attracted a considerable amount of views and comments. Now, I'm not saying I'm the greatest snapper, but just wondering whether there is a way to attract viewers. Any tips ladies and gents?
Pete M
My Flickr
johnriley
Posted 10/12/2009 - 17:30 Link
Networking. be as many places and make as many connections as you can.

Certain subject matter also attracts viewers, but that depends on what sort of photography you produce. Nude/Glamour shots will double the number of views.

On my own website gallery, the Figure Studies section has in some cases a hit rate of three times my average.
Best regards, John
Mike-P
Posted 10/12/2009 - 17:34 Link
From what I can see a lot of people seem to use Flickr as a popularity site. To get views and comments on your pictures you have to "play the game" which involves posting your pictures to loads of sub groups and then commenting on others pictures as much as possible. This will bring like minded people flocking to your Flickr page ready to comment in the hope that you will do the same.

All seems a bit sad to me really.
davex
Posted 10/12/2009 - 17:37 Link
You may find this interesting. I have in the past paid a company to increase my hitrate (for business) IMHO they do not offer VFM. They work by publishing articles on the net with links to your company website, you provide the article.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
dynamosh
Posted 10/12/2009 - 19:29 Link
I've seen some very poor shots on Flickr with comments like 'wow fantastic!' A shame really as the idea of the site is sound. It seems like it has turned into a networking and poularity site as Mike-P said.
dynamosh
Posted 10/12/2009 - 19:30 Link
I've just noted the irony of my previous post given my signature!
Daniel Bridge
Posted 10/12/2009 - 20:38 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Pete,

So is your real question 'How do I get more people looking at my Flickr stream' or 'How do I get more people looking at my website'?

I think you need a bit more text on your own website, and make sure you include 'keywords' that people might google for (photography, wiltshire etc) in the general text. It's good that you have your blog, although I think you need a more prominent link back to your website from there, can't see one at the moment, only in one of the posts.

Make sure your web address in your signature here is actually a hyperlink - it's not at the moment.

Register yourself on a variety of website directories. If you haven't already done so, submit your website to Google here. With your web address, a search for 'peter masterman' should bring your website up on the first page, hopefully near the top, but I couldn't find you on the first three. Google 'Daniel Bridge' and I'll be at the top.

I'm on Twitter too.

I'm also on the ActivBrentwood website, and I've just registered on BT Tradespace, although I need to do a fair bit more to it before that's any use.

And there are many more sites that I've entered details on over the years, and still direct people to my site.

So as John says, it's about networking. I've found a printed leaflet in camera shops and nature reserve visitor centres has done me the world of good as far as business is concerned, so that might be an avenue to explore, if you can find the right outlets for them. Word of mouth's invaluable too - money can't buy happy customers singing your praises to anyone who'll listen. I really should get round to doing a Facebook page for my business too.

Hope that helps!

Dan

P.S. Who's Alexander Alekhine?!?
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
petemasty
Posted 10/12/2009 - 22:02 Link
As always gentlemen (and possibly ladies) the infromation imparted has been invaluable. Strangely enough, Daniel says my name is on page three of Google. Just checked, and yes you are correct. However, when I checked on Monday I'm absolutely 'cock-sure' my website was top of the page!!! Hey ho, the vagaries of the interweb are sometimes a law unto themselves.

I have the impression that Flickr isnt all about quality but about contacts, so i should join a few more groups and post pics regularly. Lets see if i can beat my record of 33 views in a day.!!

Daniel! Alexander Alekine!? Google him. The greatest chess player ever.

cheers chaps
Pete M
My Flickr
thoughton
Posted 11/12/2009 - 00:27 - Helpful Comment Link
No one seems to have mentioned the need for contacts. If no one lists you as a contact, you aren't going to get very many views, or comments, on your stream. People add you as a contact when they like one of your shots and want to see what else you produce. That means getting them to see and like that first shot. Which means posting to lots of groups and crossing your fingers. As you can imagine, this all takes time. If you only joined last week I wouldn't start worrying just yet

Quite often adding a contact is a reciprocal thing. When I see someone whose style of photography interests me I add them as a contact. Even though it isn't expected, and it's not the reason I add them, more often than not they will return the compliment. Once you're on their contact list they start to see your photos on their home page. All of this leads to more views and more comments.

Having said all that, most of the comments on Flickr are just a bit of ego stroking. There is rarely any useful critique (with the notable exception of PU members of course ). And posting to groups etc is a bit of a hassle, so it partly relies on how much effort you put into it.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 11/12/2009 - 00:57
petemasty
Posted 11/12/2009 - 17:53 Link
I have noticed that the comments are somewhat banal. but then again if I wanted to have a critique on my pics I'd post here or on ephotozine, as both sites have given me more-than-considerable help in becoming a better snapper.

Anyway, looking forward to finallly getting my 55mm out for some 'miniature' macro photography this weekend . Will be posting on here to get feedback.

Thank you again all and sundry for your invaluable advice and insight.
Pete M
My Flickr
Posted 12/11/2015 - 16:35 Link
very helpful networking info.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.