First snow of the winter

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 28/11/2021 - 18:45
After the wind and the lack of sleep on Friday night due to the expectation that the roof was about to be relocated to the next town, today we had the first snow of the winter. Pretty views, even with the limited sunlight, and cold.

Sometimes I take a photograph of one of my regular views, not for artistic merit, rather as a visual diary so I can look back in future years to 'see' the weather. Here I present a couple of photographs in that vein.

Snowy Lane. A brief moment with the setting sun peeking through the low cloud.

Pentax K5, Pentax A 70-210mm (at ~200mm), F9, 1/60th, ISO 320.

Townscape at Night. A view across Ilkley with low cloud following the path of the river Wharfe along the dale.

Pentax K5, Voigtlander Nokton 58mm, F9, 30s, ISO 320.

Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 28/11/2021 - 19:38
Stunning, both of them . And they both have 'artistic merit' .

Bet it was cold...

Steve

pschlute

Link Posted 28/11/2021 - 19:47
I like them both. Lovely winter scenes.
Peter

My Flickr page

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 28/11/2021 - 22:38
Really like the nightscape...superb.

regards

Karlo

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 28/11/2021 - 23:10
pschlute wrote:

+1. They both capture the 'cold', as Lubbyman says, especially the second one. Lovely job there, LongTimeLurker. I also like, and agree with, the comment you make about a 'visual diary.' So do I with some of my images.
Be well, stay well.

Daronl

Link Posted 29/11/2021 - 08:06
Lovely photo-craft particularly #1 - love this image which shows that getting yourself in the right place at the right time in the right conditions is a key princiipke of good photography.
Daronl

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/11/2021 - 09:43
Both are beautiful images, skilfully taken.

I noticed the unusual lens used for the second shot, it seems to be pretty good!

Kind Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

LennyBloke

Link Posted 30/11/2021 - 07:50
Both lovely images Nigel, but the beautiful atmosphere you've captured in that 2nd shot is spot on
LennyBloke

Sry

Link Posted 02/12/2021 - 22:32
LennyBloke wrote:
Both lovely images Nigel, but the beautiful atmosphere you've captured in that 2nd shot is spot on

My thoughts exactly.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 12/12/2021 - 17:51
Dear all.

Thank you for the comments, they are appreciated.

I was in two minds whether to convert to monochrome and decided to stick with colour, especially for the townscape as the sodium street lights add a little warmth to the view. I guess this may change in years to come as the programme to switch to LED lighting comes to an end.
Nigel.

A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 12/12/2021 - 17:52
Lubbyman wrote:
Stunning, both of them . And they both have 'artistic merit' .

Bet it was cold...

Steve

It was, which is why I stayed inside and poked the camera out of the window
Nigel.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 12/12/2021 - 17:53
Urbanmeister wrote:
pschlute wrote:

+1. They both capture the 'cold', as Lubbyman says, especially the second one. Lovely job there, LongTimeLurker. I also like, and agree with, the comment you make about a 'visual diary.' So do I with some of my images.

I'm not sure where I picked the idea up from. It may well have come from this forum and therefore you. If so, thank you
Nigel.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 12/12/2021 - 17:55
Daronl wrote:
Lovely photo-craft particularly #1 - love this image which shows that getting yourself in the right place at the right time in the right conditions is a key princiipke of good photography.

Thank you Daron. I should fess-up: I had to crop the first picture to improve the composition despite having used a zoom
Nigel.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 12/12/2021 - 17:58
davidstorm wrote:
Both are beautiful images, skilfully taken.

I noticed the unusual lens used for the second shot, it seems to be pretty good!

Kind Regards
David

I love it, and manual focus lenses in general. The smooth, tactile, cold metal feel of a quality manual prime adds something to the process for me, even when I take a rubbish photograph (which is most days!).
Nigel.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.