First roll of Infrared

womble

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 17:06
I shot a roll of Rollei Infrared film using a 720nm filter and metering for ISO 6, taking two shots, one as metered and one over. I haven't got the negs back yet to check, but it looks like the ISO 6 was plenty, if not slightly too much. Here is one photo from the roll taken using my MX and a SMC Pentax "K" 24mm f/2.8 lens. I wish there was some way to attach a filter to the shift lens...

St Helen's, Wheathmpstead par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Sry

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 22:39
Like it very much Kris, great framing and treatment - and converging verticals are fine by me, they even work quite well here.

womble

Link Posted 13/04/2021 - 09:20
Sry wrote:
Like it very much Kris, great framing and treatment - and converging verticals are fine by me, they even work quite well here.

Thank you. You had me rushing back to Lightroom to check, but there aren't any converging verticals in this one. I spent some time setting-up the camera with a spirit level to make sure. It can be a little difficult with old film cameras as things like dented pentaprisms make getting everything level a bit of a chore.

I have, however, discovered that Rollei make their infrared film in 5x4...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnha

Link Posted 13/04/2021 - 10:51
Which shift lens is it? The K28/3.5 apparently has a gelatine filter clip at the back: link - not suggesting the filter might be easy to get though!

In this case the foreground interest really adds to the image, well done for picking that vantage point.

If I ever get my Intrepid 4x5 going, I might try some infra-red - can't see me using a whole roll in any sensible timeframe, although I do have a couple of expired Ilford SFX200 somewhere.
PPG Flickr

Sry

Link Posted 13/04/2021 - 18:33
womble wrote:

Thank you. You had me rushing back to Lightroom to check, but there aren't any converging verticals in this one.

Oops. I have to admit my eyes were (are) playing tricks on me. What's more, I actually meant 'diverging'. I guess it's all because of that great composition - I am visually swimming all around that image, so floating every which way and bobbing up and down... I still wouldn't mind skewed verticals if they were there, though.

womble wrote:
I have, however, discovered that Rollei make their infrared film in 5x4...

Uh-oh.

womble

Link Posted 13/04/2021 - 22:03
Two more.

Lamer (infrared) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Heron's Farm in infrared par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Kris Lockyear

My website

bjolester

Link Posted 13/04/2021 - 22:17
Very nice images. The Church and grave stones is a very suitable motive for infrared, and is very nicely framed. I also like the trees/countryside motives in images 2+3, great skies. Does the Rollei infrared film require special handling (when loading the film i.e.)? Have you tried using this film with a 850nm filter?
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

womble

Link Posted 13/04/2021 - 22:33
The instructions just say to load it in subdued light. I did notice that one or two frames have some light piping so I would be tempted to make the light very subdued next time or use my changing bag.

This is the first roll I have tried and only have a 720nm filter. I like the results though and will probably be trying some more.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 26/04/2021 - 10:15
The tree images
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.