Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

First Outing With Samyang 135mm F/2

1stEverPentax
Posted 07/03/2021 - 20:11 Link
Just taken delivery of the above lens after a long wait...paired with my K-5IIs and set off down to the river to try out.

Weather was dry but very cloudy with the occasional attempt at a solar breakthrough.

1. Horse
Comment Image

2. Four Mallards
Comment Image

3. Lichen on branch
Comment Image

4. Duck Pair
Comment Image

5. Riverscape
Comment Image

6. Great Crested Grebes
Comment Image

7. Squirrel Down
Comment Image

8. Gull in Flight
Comment Image

9. Spot The Pigeon
Comment Image

10. That's Close Enough
Comment Image

11. Berries
Comment Image
cardiffgareth
Posted 08/03/2021 - 11:37 Link
I like that focal length, gives everything a nice flat look. Looks like you've got the hang of it already
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
davidwozhere
Posted 08/03/2021 - 22:28 Link
I think the Ivy berries show it off best but overall it makes some really nice rich colours as well as producing just the right degree of sharpness.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
1stEverPentax
Posted 08/03/2021 - 23:15 Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
I like that focal length, gives everything a nice flat look. Looks like you've got the hang of it already

Thanks Gareth.

I do like the focal length...coupled with max aperture and close focus (80cm) makes for a very versatile product.
Only thing it lacks is WR...MF also allows for possibility of rapid reaction 'grab shots' faster than for example my son with his new Sony A7II and 70-200 F/4 who was still trying to focus on one or two shots that i managed to make a decent stab at.
1stEverPentax
Posted 08/03/2021 - 23:21 Link
davidwozhere wrote:
I think the Ivy berries show it off best but overall it makes some really nice rich colours as well as producing just the right degree of sharpness.

I agree David...left the berries until the last for that reason.

Colours are nice and it's the sharpest lens i've owned...although that's not saying much.

It crops nicely as well to partly compensate for lack of reach.

Will no doubt be posting more with it from time to time.
GeoffMoore
Posted 09/03/2021 - 17:46 Link
I picked up this lens before Christmas, still not used it in any meaningful way. Just like knowing I have it in the collection should there come a time where by its needed; which I think will be in the next few weeks and months as we start to come back into the summer and the return of the Galactic Core Milky way season. Its apparently rather good for Astrophotography. Weather permitting.
davidstorm
Posted 10/03/2021 - 11:35 Link
Hi Geoff

The lens looks to be very sharp, but to my eyes the colours look a bit 'flat' and don't seem to pop? Just wondering what your thoughts are?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
GeoffMoore
Posted 10/03/2021 - 14:09 Link
davidstorm wrote:
Hi Geoff

The lens looks to be very sharp, but to my eyes the colours look a bit 'flat' and don't seem to pop? Just wondering what your thoughts are?

Regards
David

I have to agree, I find the rendition of the of the image a little muted in colour, to what I'm seeing with my eye. That being said my eyesight is failing and perhaps that's the real reason. Joking aside, I always process my images after the fact so, On the limited use I have had with the 135, I would added back in what the image needed I suspect.
Edited by GeoffMoore: 10/03/2021 - 14:09
HarisF1
Posted 12/03/2021 - 21:37 Link
davidstorm wrote:
Hi Geoff

Regards
David

Yes this is something I noticed too, especially in direct comparison to the older A 135/1.8. It seems to have an insane level of sharpness with very little CA but that comes at the expense of contrast.
All the gear with no idea

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.