First k-01 Experiences

Pheo

Link Posted 03/01/2013 - 21:54
Picked up a K-01 from SRS via eBay body only for 219 (pentax ex demo) as a spare ody. Used it at an event over the weekend, very impressed so far, colours from the JPG engine seem better. Also found the CDAF to be perfectly acceptable, even for action shots if you pre focus. Thought I'd share a few shots.

IMGP5954 by Pheo, on Flickr

IMGP6050 by Pheo, on Flickr

IMGP5689 by Pheo, on Flickr

Happy to answer questions if anyone has any!

johnriley

Link Posted 03/01/2013 - 22:15
Really good, I'm desperately trying to find an excuse to have one of these....
Best regards, John

alistairlamb

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 17:52
I got a K-01 from SRS as well, though the poor weather hasn't given me many outdoor opportunities to have a play. I shall be taking it on a trip to Cape Town next month. One glitch, a Miranda 28mm with a PK-A mount will not fully turn and click when attaching to the K-01, whereas it fully engages on my K-m. Odd, but not a train smash.

Algernon

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 18:51
Superb quality... the lighting looks very good.

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

smc

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 05:28
+1 these look really good.

SteveF

Link Posted 06/01/2013 - 11:12
+1 - very impressive performance by both camera and photographer (and dancers!)

obione

Link Posted 06/01/2013 - 16:40
Great Pics, Is the Mono (1st pic) out of camera,or is it converted with photoshop? u have some great pics on ur flickr account...

k-5, K-5ii,60-250 f4, 50 f1.4 af,17-70 f4, 100mm macro wr,siggy 10-20 siggy 100-300f4
Last Edited by obione on 06/01/2013 - 16:45

Pheo

Link Posted 07/01/2013 - 21:54
Sorry for the delay in answering these - been rushed off my feet going thru all the photos from this event.

All conversions done after the fact in Apple Aperture only. What I just can't figure out is why the K-01 has much better punch than my K-30 - I'm much prefering the output. Could be the lens I was using, but I'm not sure. And this is despite being on the same JPG setting - I thought these cameras had the same sensor and same engine, perhaps I was wrong.

Tempted to sell the K-30 and pick up a K5II at this rate. Although I'd prefer a Pentax FF body lolz

gwing

Link Posted 27/02/2013 - 13:41
So here's my first impressions then: I've just obtained one specifically for a series of indoor bad light shots where previously I was barely able to achieve reasonable shutter speeds , despite shooting at f2.5 and pushing the ISO as high as I can tolerate (3200 on my K7).

After considering my options I decided to take advantage of the cheap K01/40mm lens combos around rather than stumping up for a K5 something just yet. Not an easy choice for me as I have generally hated all cameras not posessing a decent optical viewfinder. So what did I find:

High ISO. This is of course why I bought the camera and it has lived up to my expectations. I can shoot at 6400 and get cleaner results than 3200 on the K7, very little PP attention being needed to get the noise under control.

Focusing. Not a problem for me as my fast glass is all old MF stuff anyway. I did try AF with my 50/1.4 and under these conditions it did a significantly worse job than MF so I turned it off quick again and to my surprise I absolutely loved the focus peaking feature in MF mode. Quick tests with AF outside seem to work fine.

Operability: As expected I detest using the LCD instead of OVF in general us - For my specific indoor use case it actually works OK though and the old fashioned manual exposure, manual focus plus focus peaking is really nice for the fairly static conditions I have. It is SLOW though compared to a DSLR and that is my biggest crticism, trying to catch moving expressions on faces is a real problem and my main criticism. I think that quality wise it feels in the hand like an absolute gem (except for the horrible rubber cover over the card slot etc.)

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I'm less pleased with the unbelievably noisy 40mm lens coming with it but haven't given that a fair test yet. Neither have I tested the movie modes.
Last Edited by gwing on 27/02/2013 - 13:42
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.