First impressions of Luma Labs Cinch strap

Gwyn

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 18:25
So my Cinch finally arrived today.

For those of you unfamiliar with the strap: www.luma-labs.com

I chose this strap over a BlackRapid or similar because it attaches at two places, the tripod mount and left hand strap loop. It also has the advantage of being usable with a QR plate in place, either using the strap lug on the QR plate, or the optional membrane connector which fits between the camera and QR plate.

It seems very well made, with a comfortable stretchy shoulder pad. The cinch means you can have the camera snugly against your body whilst walking, yet can quickly lengthen the strap to shoot. The camera doesn't bungle around, but sits comfortably and is still. It is possible to use the strap as a sling, shoulder or neck strap, but it is most comfortable as a sling.

It completely takes the weight of the camera and lens. I have tried it with the 60-250 on the camera and it feels as comfortable and light as with the 17-70. I haven't yet tried the Bigma on it, nor have I used the strap in anger yet. I hope to do that this weekend, head cold and weather allowing.

Luma Labs is clearly a small company struggling to meet demand for their product but it is imho worth the wait to get such a comfortable, well thought out and well made strap.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 19:26
Look forward to a review about it when you have been using it for a while.

Certainly looks interesting so far
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Frogfish

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 03:35
Looks like an excellent design - an improvement on the Black Rapid.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

K10D

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 07:56
Looks ideal for people needing a strap which handles a tripod mount attached.

Best regards
Плутон идет

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 08:22
Thanks for the mini review Gwyn, will take a look as I'm after a new strap.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Gwyn

Link Posted 08/04/2013 - 18:53
A further update on my strap - it is just the best thing I have ever bought for my camera. Seriously. I can happily carry the Bigma all day on it and not end up with shoulder ache. It keeps the camera tight to my body, and is quick and easy to use.

They have now developed Mk2, which is cheaper, but looks even better and comes with an Arca Swiss compatible QR plate. It's on pre-order at the moment and I have ordered one for His Nibs since he coveted mine.

Here is their preview Blog, and if any of you are then convinced you can pre-order one here.

It will take a while to arrive - first they have to make the thing (they hope to start making Mk2 around mid April) and then it takes a while to arrive by post. Mine took a month, but that was during the Christmas rush, so hopefully now the delivery will be faster.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.