First attempts with the 55-300 mm

aminstar

Link Posted 20/02/2009 - 16:06
Not exactly the most interesting of subjects to photograph but with the kind of grey weather we have been having lately I hardly get the chance to go out with the lens and attempt a few shots.

Had a couple of hours opening window with the sun shining so decided to give it a go. Was more interested in seeing how I could handle it and try to correct my mistakes with your usual great and kind suggestions and advice.

So here it goes, had to be on a tripod. So far all my handheld shots have come pretty bad, but could have been due to a cumulative range of mistakes, including wrong settings and non steady hands.

All comments and advice are greatly welcome and sought after

Amin Photo Gallery

aminstar

Link Posted 20/02/2009 - 16:16
Not sure if this one came up better though, as mentioned before I lack that skilful analytical observant eye that only you the more experienced around here possess . So help me out with some clues please. Overall I find these two images the same with the exception that this second one has the beak better captured, so the balance of the scale tips more towards this one, in my opinion. But would be interesting to hear your views please

Thanks

Amin

Amin Photo Gallery

fatspider

Link Posted 20/02/2009 - 16:20
Quote:
Not exactly the most interesting of subjects to photograph

SHAME on you

The Magpie is a beautiful subject, and not all that easy to photograph with the contrasting plumage, and this is quite a good attempt.

I suppose you either love or hate Magpies but you cant deny the fact they are magnificent looking creatures.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

aminstar

Link Posted 20/02/2009 - 16:26
impotentspider wrote:
Quote:
Not exactly the most interesting of subjects to photograph

SHAME on you

The Magpie is a beautiful subject, and not all that easy to photograph with the contrasting plumage, and this is quite a good attempt.

I suppose you either love or hate Magpies but you cant deny the fact they are magnificent looking creatures.

Oops, I take back what I just said . In my attempt to just concentrate on the vibrant colours of a bird I was just concentrating on the fact that they only have minimalist colours and I have plenty of them in my backgarden .

I suppose I better start to appreciate it then. In my ignorance when it comes to birds I really thought they must be so abundant around and yet I dont see many being photographed, so made the wrong assumption.

Thanks for your comments impotent spider, that boosted my spirits up, I will have to look further into how to explore further the field. I definitely like it more than macro, its just the weather that doesn't help at all.
Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 20/02/2009 - 16:27

matic

Link Posted 21/02/2009 - 07:46
hello,

i think birds are photgraphed alot, and would suggest you keep snapping away, they can be difficult subjects to capture, at least to convey any sense of mischief, or motion. maybe follow a bird round the garden( with the lens ) and catch it going about its daily buisness, sharpness and clarity are not always needed.

patience is the best tool you will have.

keep posting
many thanks,

roger.

pentax cameras - spotmatic, spotmatic spII pinhole, MX, Sfx-n, k1000, p30
pentax lenses - 28mm,50mm,105mm,150mm,300mm

Cliff-P

Link Posted 21/02/2009 - 08:55
Nice attempt aminstar. Birds can drive you mad trying to photograph them, set yourself a bird table up in your back garden, and keep it well stocked with food,you will soon get a few visitors. As the birds get more confident you con move the bird table closer to the house, and maybe try taking some pics through the window

Good luck
Cliff.

My Flickr link
Nikon D750, D7000 , Nikkor 80-400, 70-300 and 18-200 lenses

Anvh

Link Posted 21/02/2009 - 12:02
Nice shots Amin,
I will give you a little tool for your photoshop that will do a nice job to sharpen those photos.

To at something what Cliff said.
I know you've a tripod and a RF remote so set the camera up in the garden close to the table. I suggest you use the D-FA 100mm it's the sharpest lens that you have, you will make some cracking photos with a bit of luck.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.