Fine focus adjusted but still back focuses!!!

JAK

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 15:35
Does it look in focus in the viewfinder?
John K

pschlute

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 15:54
If you are:
getting a red focus confirmation on the bench and not the berries
not releasing the shutter half-press once focus is attained
not in AF-C mode
and not moving when you recompose

then perhaps the lens is at fault.

Further to the suggestions earlier in the thread about the camera not recognising the lens, have you tried doing a AF/FA using the "Apply All" setting when this lens is mounted ? This method of AF/FA does not require the camera to know the lens. it will mean that any lens will have that adjustment applied when mounted on the camera and the menu is set to Apply All. This latter point is important as the menu setting of Apply one or Apply all is not just for setting an adjustment but is also used to apply that setting when using the camera. At least this is how it works on the K-1. So use Apply All to set a AF/FA with your troublesome lens, then making sure you are in Apply All setting on the camera do some real world tests.
Remember to switch back to Apply one when you mount your other lens which has an Apply One setting.
Peter

My Flickr page

johnducguz

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 18:04
I've kinda decided that the lens is at fault now. When I did the fine focus adjustments on the 50mm & the zoom different amounts were needed for the 2 lenses. For this reason I wont use the 'apply all' setting. I know that I'll forget to change between the two settings every time I change the lens. My original query was to why the lens was back focusing, the answer is that it's relationship with my two bodies is one of animosity. A new lens will bring happiness back into my life. All the other stuff suggested, to me anyway seem like get arounds that shouldn't need to be made. The focus confirmation was there, more than once as I checked a few times, I didn't release the half press, I was in single shot mode & I didn't move. Everything was done that should have been done (& is done with other lenses) & the back focus occured. My relationship with this zoom has reached an end due to it's unreasonable behavior, a new relationship with a younger, better looking lens that understands me will begin soon.
Last Edited by johnducguz on 10/02/2019 - 18:05

JAK

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 18:19
Let us know how you get on once you have obtained it - fingers crossed, eh?
As to your current one, have you had it long? Any chance of returning it to the supplier to have it serviced, replaced or refunded given you've determined it's not fit for purpose?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 10/02/2019 - 18:22

johnducguz

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 22:04
No, had it too long now. Should have tested it sooner, always managed to sharpen things enough in Photo shop to sort things out.

johnducguz

Link Posted 23/02/2019 - 09:51
A shiny new Pentax 70mm f2.4 has entered my life. We are happy together. The end.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.