Filter for underwater photography - worth it or not?

geclinke

Link Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:19
I'm planning to try some more underwater photography, and am considering buying a proper blue water filter (basically a good red filter). I'll be shooting RAW so I was wondering if it's actually going to make any difference? Basically, am I going to get exactly the same effect from adding a red filter in post production, or is it worthwhile getting it "right" in the camera first?
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50

johnriley

Link Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:28
You will get the same tonal effects in post production, but not the same effects where you are enabling youself to see past haze, or polarise the light, or indeed punch through the murkiness of water.

So there are still some circumstances where a filter is helpful, and you may well have found one here.
Best regards, John

geclinke

Link Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:40
I hadn't even thought of using the polariser. Might have to be a bit hit and miss - the polariser I have is circular so I'll have to set it before sealing the case. I'm using a Ewa Marine case (well, bag really) so opening and closing near the water isn't that practical...
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50

johnriley

Link Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:48
It was just an example of the sort of effect that can't be replicated by post production, but whether or not it's applicable to your situation I don't know.
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 27/05/2010 - 15:01
I think the polariser will be too hard to operate underwater and you'll lose too much light depending on the weather and water conditions.

If the purpose of the filter is to colour balance (sounds like a film filter) then you would are right to shoot RAW and sort it out later, I have a proper dedicated 'hard' marine housing and even under water it can be very difficult to see the screen in Mediterranean conditions. I've ended up literally pointing and shooting! Interestingly the Optio that the housing is designed for has a fish symbol in the menu (and its not for food) which cuts back the usual cyan cast.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

geclinke

Link Posted 27/05/2010 - 15:24
I'll definately give the polariser a go - it'll be in the Indian Ocean so hopefully light won't be a problem, and I won't be that deep.
I'm interested to see what effect (if any) the polarisor would have on refraction in the first 10 metres....

I can just about look through the viewfinder with my dive mask on - can't see any of the settings though - another win for the LCD top display on the K200D Although, live-view probably would make life easier
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.