Film era lens hoods. Why have I only ever seen one?

Jetsam1

Link Posted 19/06/2015 - 20:00
And that was for the M42 SMC Takumar 135 my Dad bought new and got the hood for, but not for the other lenses he got at the same time? Or that the M, K and A lenses I have purchased over the last few years have not included hoods? While all modern Pentax lenses have?

Is there a difference between film and digital? I like lens hoods. It is a major annoyance my choice of M43 sees fit not to provide them with their lenses. But am interested if there is a reason lens hoods seem less prevalent with the older lenses when I am assured that they really improve the performance of said lenses?

Also aesthetically, lenses do not seem complete without hoods. But that might just be me with my independent photography having started with digital Dslr....
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

RobL

Link Posted 19/06/2015 - 20:42
As I recall lens hoods were not supplied with the lenses but could be bought as accessories. I have just bought a screw thread hood for my F zoom 28-80 lens which came with a Pentax SF-7 35 mm camera and which hopefully will prove useful if I plump for the new FF camera!

johnriley

Link Posted 19/06/2015 - 23:16
Lens hoods were available as optional extras, so only a handful of people would buy the dedicated marque hoods. Most bought Hoya and similar third party hoods.

However, the Pentax hoods generally were clip on and much faster to employ, so as time went by I ended up buying the specific hood for a lens. There are plenty of them about and the 50mm hood is still available today. I wonder if it's the longest lasting item in the Pentax catalogue?
Best regards, John

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 20/06/2015 - 09:21
The 50 mm hood is cool, adds a level of awesomeness to the camera's appearance...the fact that lens hoods are available for most, if not all (I assume the 35 and 50 DA do not) in the Pentax range is an advantage and make even the 18-55 more imposing. I think some budget Nikon and Canon lenses still do not come without hoods, I think the 100 Macro USM didn't either....
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Algernon

Link Posted 20/06/2015 - 10:07
Most hoods are rubbish You can't fit a lens cap on them

Heliopan hoods are about the best.... Threaded at both ends.
I've been using them for years.

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/heliopan-short-metal-lens-hood-p-19310.html

Teamwork also sell them on ebay.

Cheaper alternatives are available off ebay, but they usually
require a slightly larger cap.

Some info in this thread....

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33808-heliopan-...

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 20/06/2015 - 10:19

johnriley

Link Posted 20/06/2015 - 10:39
You're not intended to put lens caps on a dedicated hood Algi, I'm not sure why you would want to.

Some people store hoods reversed on a lens, but as I've said before I'm not a big fan of this approach. It makes the lens diameter much larger when putting the camera in a case and tempts us to use the lens as is with hood reversed, which isn't doing anything to reduce flare.
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 20/06/2015 - 12:25
Algernon wrote:
Most hoods are rubbish You can't fit a lens cap on them

Heliopan hoods are about the best.... Threaded at both ends.
I've been using them for years.

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/heliopan-short-metal-lens-hood-p-19310.html

Teamwork also sell them on ebay.

Cheaper alternatives are available off ebay, but they usually
require a slightly larger cap.

Some info in this thread....

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33808-heliopan-...

--

Thanks for the link, these look a nice product. However they are pretty short so I suppose the reason they have two threads is that they can be stacked to get a deeper hood for telephoto.

RobL

Link Posted 20/06/2015 - 12:33
johnriley wrote:
You're not intended to put lens caps on a dedicated hood Algi, I'm not sure why you would want to.

Some people store hoods reversed on a lens, but as I've said before I'm not a big fan of this approach. It makes the lens diameter much larger when putting the camera in a case and tempts us to use the lens as is with hood reversed, which isn't doing anything to reduce flare.

When reversed these lens hoods clip onto the lens making storage and handling easy and take less space than storing them separately. I have never been tempted to keep them on reversed they are so easy to twist off and drop in the bag or a pocket.

sterretje

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 06:27
I can't talk for Pentax as I was a Minolta X700 user in the days. All lenses except for the (kit) 50/1.7 came with a lens hood.
28/2.8
70-210/4
35-105

Most of my 2nd hand Taks also came with hoods (85, 135, 200, 300). Exception were the 55/1.8 and the 50/1.4; the latter came as part of a kit I bought on Saturday and does not even have caps

So my conclusion is that most lenses used to come with hoods. But 2nd hand is always tricky; people simply loose the stuff.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)

LennyBloke

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 08:55
The Pentax clip on hoods are getting harder and harder to come by (at a fair price) so many users have turned to other manufacturers (the Heliopans are excellent as Algernon suggests) - I've collected as many matching Pentax hoods as possible, but a couple still elude me (I won't pay 30 plus for a clip on bit of plastic ).

I've recently discovered the Nikon HS series of metal hoods - they have a slightly unusual clip-on system but are excellent - I find them an great alternative, especially if you're looking for a 52mm hood (for the 50/1.2 and 85/1.
LennyBloke

Algernon

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 11:28
I've got a few of these in 49mm and 52mm. They also do 58mm and vented 49mm.

The front is threaded to take a 58mm cap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-SCREW-IN-LENS-HOOD-49MM-LENS-SHADE-20MM-DEEP-/19...

An alternative would be the 43mm (if your lens front element is small) + 43mm to 49mm stepping ring. That would take the 49mm cap.

I didn't get mine from this supplier, but they look the same and are of good solid quality.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.