Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Fern-tastic?

Posted 17/10/2023 - 10:47 Link
Fantastic fern or just post-processing gone mad?

Went for a walk in our local woods and wasn't inspired - so took a photo of a fern with my 16-85 HD DA ED WR DC lens.

Came home and mucked around with it.
Some at our local photographic club think it's great and an interesting interpretation.
Others think it's a waste of time and looks radioactive.

Discussion point - what do you (honestly) think?

Comment Image
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3iii now, had a K-S2, K50 and so suffering from a relapse and so buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 50 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
Lubbyman
Posted 17/10/2023 - 11:24 - Helpful Comment Link
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:
wasn't inspired - so took a photo of a fern with my 16-85 HD DA ED WR DC lens.

Never trust your feelings - you really were inspired or you wouldn't have taken the photo of the fern.

Interesting interpretation? Yes. Ferns sort of invite different interpretations by presenting you with interesting shapes and patterns but a fairly plain colour pallete. They seem to say "Here you are, now what you can do with me?".

Great picture? Hmmm... Could do better with composition IMHO. Hard to say how without seeing what else the plant was offering. I'd have tried putting the main stem on a diagonal, or getting closer (the 'less is more' approach).

Waste of time? Definitely not. It inspired you to experiment and that's a good use of time.

Looks radioactive? Have those people ever seen something that's radioactive?? I have - and I don't mean certain camera lenses. Radioactivity doesn't make things glow green . I think they really meant fluorescent. And that's an entirely different thing. You can therefore safely ignore their negative comments .

Keep getting inspired by the undergrowth!

Steve
Flan
Posted 17/10/2023 - 17:28 - Helpful Comment Link
I have loads of mucking about experience with editing a photo or two.
If one asked how I achieved this result and that rendition in certain photos, I would be at a loss to explain

"Im still learning
Better than I ever did"
Edited by Flan: 17/10/2023 - 17:29
LennyBloke
Posted 17/10/2023 - 19:31 - Helpful Comment Link
It's great to get supportive and/or constructive criticism comments and views about our images but the most important thing is your own feelings about your images - Camera Clubs (as they were known when I was involved with them) have a big mixture of personalities with different agendas. There are usually those who have their own superiority complex, believing that other peoples work won't be as good as their own. Someone who would offer an opinion that your image is a waste of time is someone to take with a pinch of salt! It may not be to their taste or the way they would have done it but trashing your efforts is negative and pointless. Personally I enjoy the measured vibrancy and deep blacks of your image and have nothing negative to say about it and I wouldn't even offer constructive criticism because you have clearly taken time and effort to produce a worthy end product.

Keep believing in yourself

p.s. I have one photograph that I have posted in the past that I believe to be a masterpiece but nobody ever commented on it - that hasn't changed my opinion
LennyBloke
PRYorkshire
Posted 17/10/2023 - 20:53 - Helpful Comment Link
I like this the black background really brings out the varying shades of green and edge profiles of the fern. I personally think the image suits a portrait format with my eye then being drawn upwards to the tip of the fern, but still a great image as it is.
Paul

K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.
Edited by PRYorkshire: 17/10/2023 - 20:54

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.