F lens and FAJ lens not recognised by MZ-7 - Help!

manstanox

Link Posted 10/03/2013 - 21:17
I have just bought a very cheap MZ-7 on eBay in order to play with film again and to use my FAJ 18-35 lens. However, The camera does not recognise this lens nor my F 35-70 lens even though all the other electrical functions including flash and AF seem to be working OK. To make it more puzzling the MZ-7 does recognise my Sigma 28-200(although there is vignetting becuase it is a DA equivalent lens)responding fully in every mode available. Both the F lens and the FAJ lens work (very well) on my K-r. So I am very puzzled and would appreciate any help that can be offered.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 11/03/2013 - 08:47
Not entirely sure what you mean - you say all other functions work properly but the lens is not recognised? So - if it is focusing and metering - what isn't it doing?

I have the entire MZ series and both of these lenses and have not noticed any issues with the 7

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 11/03/2013 - 09:56
I'm thinking manstanox means that the MZ-7 is not reading the aperture of the lenses... (?)

Obvious thing to check but: Are the lenses set to the 'A' position?

The Sigma no doubt reads as it has no aperture ring so automatically sends info... I assume lenses with 'A' setting only send info when in 'A'.
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

manstanox

Link Posted 11/03/2013 - 09:56
The camera will not set the shutter speed or the aperture in Tv or Av mode. In Manual the shutter speed can be selected but not the aperture. The AF works OK, the shutter will fire, the flash works and the drive mode button works. So the communication between the lens and the camera is somehow faulty. I have cleaned the contacts on the camera and replaced the batteries.

Hope this clarifies the problem. Many thanks for your interest in this.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 11/03/2013 - 10:15
Just a thought, have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens as well?

A slight film of grime can stop them 'talking' but may not effect the lens on a DSLR.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 11/03/2013 - 10:15

manstanox

Link Posted 11/03/2013 - 11:18
Thanks for the comments. I have been careful to set the F lanes on the A position and indeed have experimented with every manually set aperture. The FAJ has no aperture ring (like the Sigma). Have also cleaned both lenses. A stubborn problem.

manstanox

Link Posted 12/03/2013 - 10:30
I have not been able to solve the problem so have decided to cut my losses and return the camera to the seller. Many thanks to those who have looked and commented.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.