Every button press sounds like a photo is being taken!!

Kenty

Link Posted 14/06/2012 - 21:12
A point - just checked and my K5 is under a year old so I can invoke the warranty - BUT - I bought it from Jessops (A bit cheaper than SRS but the big selling point was free instalments over 10 months!!).

I can't do anything about it 'till I'm home from holiday but does anyone have any experience of Jessops in situations like this?

John
On a dark desert highway, cool Pentax K5 in my hand.
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters

Kenty

Link Posted 14/06/2012 - 21:47
Found this in Youtube - exactly what happens to my camera (hope the link works)

link

John
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters

Charlotte

Link Posted 14/06/2012 - 21:56
I posted a link to a different one earlier in the thread - just shows how common it seems to be.
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Kenty

Link Posted 15/06/2012 - 07:51
Whoops - missed your link Charlotte!

As you say this seems to affect many K5s
My Kit

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 19/06/2012 - 16:10
Mattmatic : Sorry just found your query -- I didn't explain myself -- it read as if I have a K5 BUT NO -- I still have just the K10D + all my FILM pentaxes .
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Charlotte

Link Posted 18/07/2012 - 21:38
Thought I'd update regarding my K-r just in case it helps anyone else.

I have been using a cheap Chinese battery adapter and 4 AA High power Varta batteries for a while now and I don't have the flip flop problem with these.

As soon as I put the rectangle Pentax original battery in I get the problem almost immediately. So I've come to the conclusion that the strange battery arrangement has some sort of problem.

I was always told a square peg into a round hole doesn't fit and it appears to be the case here.

Kind regards
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Kenty

Link Posted 18/07/2012 - 22:24
Noted Charlotte.
My K5 went back to Jessops a couple of weeks ago - and they've sent it to Pentax. I was told it could take 4-6 weeks before I get it back or a replacement. Will keep you informed.
BTW the K5 can only take a lithium ion battery. I have 3 including a non Pentax one. The problem happens with all 3 batteries. Thank goodness I kept my K7. No mirror flop with it.
Cheers. John
My Kit

MattMatic

Link Posted 25/07/2012 - 13:55
After a long break, the K5 started with the odd mirror flap - even unattended!
Measured the battery at 8.29V
The times it has done it in the past couple of days, just removing and putting back the battery solved the problem...

...going to investigate chargers now...

EDIT: re-read the article and the diagram is just a sample diagram (and a bad one for Lithium Ions too!) - http://ricehigh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/new-pentax-lithium-rechargeable-format.ht...
Would be interesting to see what the Pentax one is... The K10D charger is a fairly complex charger made by Tamura (a LOT more complex than Ricehigh's sample )

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 25/07/2012 - 14:04

wvbarnes

Link Posted 25/07/2012 - 14:09
I've had KX, KR and since May K5. All worked fine. Always used the latest firmware as it came out without issue.

MattMatic

Link Posted 25/07/2012 - 15:13
My feeling is that the batteries are gradually being overcharged. 8.29V for a nominal 7.4V Lithium Ion is not quite right, and I can imagine that things may go awry at those levels.

My K5 never had a problem before either
Matt

Mannesty

Link Posted 25/07/2012 - 18:24
I've had the mirror lockup problem, but only when using third party batteries.

Everything's fine with genuine Pentax batteries, except they do seem to self discharge rather more rapidly than those in my K20D.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 25/07/2012 - 18:25

Kenty

Link Posted 27/07/2012 - 20:28
Kenty wrote:
Noted Charlotte.
My K5 went back to Jessops a couple of weeks ago - and they've sent it to Pentax. I was told it could take 4-6 weeks before I get it back or a replacement. Will keep you informed.
BTW the K5 can only take a lithium ion battery. I have 3 including a non Pentax one. The problem happens with all 3 batteries. Thank goodness I kept my K7. No mirror flop with it.
Cheers. John

Well...collected my K5 from Jessops on 23/7 so the repair took just over 3 weeks - fairly reasonable.

The work done was "Replaced AF Motor, cleaned and tested"

I've taken a dozen photos and the problem has - so far - not been repeated. Fingers crossed it will be OK for the future.

Thanks for all your comments/help.
John
My Kit

K10D

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 01:10
MattMatic wrote:
My feeling is that the batteries are gradually being overcharged. 8.29V for a nominal 7.4V Lithium Ion is not quite right, and I can imagine that things may go awry at those levels.

My K5 never had a problem before either
Matt

Not so Matt. The DC input socket on a Pentax is labelled 8.3VDC and here is a link I've posted before: link

I use a microprocessor based R/C type charger and charge both Pentax and Nikon batteries in one hour. No ill effect. The problem is with the camera, either firmware or faulty power circuits.

The majority of electronic goods these days have built in regulator circuits, why would Pentax or any other manufacturer risk instability of a product due to critical voltage values?

Best regards

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/07/2012 - 09:35
Quote:
The majority of electronic goods these days have built in regulator circuits, why would Pentax or any other manufacturer risk instability of a product due to critical voltage values?

My 'day job' is electronic design & firmware I've worked in the electronics industry for well over 25 years

It depends very much on the circuit design. Any design has limits and bounds - the wider the range, the more complex the circuit and more expensive. For example, it's quite possible to have a separate circuit for the DC power input, perhaps with a diode for protection (which gives between 0.3V and 0.7V drop, depending on the type of diode). Such diode protection is unlikely to be present in a battery circuit because you're wasting power, and it's impossible to put the battery in back to front

I agree that something's amiss - and I wonder if it's my charger... 8.3V fully charged from a 7.4V Li-Ion isn't that brilliant, IMO. And, I've noticed that if I put the camera in LV for a while and run down the battery a tad then the mirror flap doesn't occur.

My hunch is that the firmware is going a bit nuts - perhaps thinking that the mirror isn't in the right position, because some feedback into the CPU is slightly out of bounds.

From what I've read, there may be at least one other cause of this mirror flap issue... but it seems batteries are one of them.

Quote:
I use a microprocessor based R/C type charger

What's your charger?

Matt
Last Edited by MattMatic on 30/07/2012 - 09:36

MattMatic

Link Posted 14/08/2012 - 11:08
Just a little update...

Noted that the charger labelling shows that the output is 8.4V

So, think this is a hardware failure on my K-5 that in some way thinks the mirror hasn't returned properly and keeps trying again. Oh dear

Matt
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.