Evaporated Crystals of Thiourea....

coker

Link Posted 03/01/2021 - 22:52
...from Mrs. C.'s silver cleaning liquid.

Set-up a little difficult to explain, so an image or two to follow, tomorrow.

Thanks for looking, any C & C welcome.

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

Lubbyman

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 09:04
Thiourea - I used to know the chemical formulae for things like that . Brings back memories...

Interesting picture. Nicely composed. How small are those threads of crystal?

Steve

coker

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 15:01
Thanks, Steve.

Here's a quick random (sooc) shot of the crystals on the glass with a plastic ruler for some idea of scale.
Each division on the ruler is 1mm.

So, it can be seen that the FOV is just under 3mm. high by about 4mm. wide.
I make the needle crystals at bottom right 1mm. long.

The other images are slight crops, just enough to lose the stacking artifacts from the edges of the frame but I think they are near enough to use the same scale.

Another image:

This one, a stack of 20 in Combine ZP, then Elements 11.

Thanks again for looking,

Roger.

coker

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 17:08
Last one.

Promise!

Thanks for looking,

Roger.

Flan

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 17:15
very interesting photos, you could end up with a wonderful wall art picture like the first shot which almost resembles bird feathers. it already looks great.

Sry

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 17:52
Really cool stuff, Roger. The 20 stack looks like some strange landscape seen from the sky... Would love to see more if you have any.

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 05/01/2021 - 10:58
I used to do those 'Cross Polarised Photos' on Ferraniacolor film when I was a Scientific Photographer in Geology Dept. of University College London until 1970 . I had to take sections of various minerals, but I also did some Photo Chemicals for my Club use and won a few awards !

been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

coker

Link Posted 05/01/2021 - 23:15
....a couple more from today's activity, (Sry).

K5, 100mm. D FA Macro.Auto Bellows M. 2 x polarising filters.
Both stacks of 20 in Combine ZP.

Thanks all for looking & the interest shown,

Roger.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 06/01/2021 - 09:51
The first picture was impressively interesting, but you've now revealed a fascinating exploration of a miniature, alien landscape. Such a huge variety and all done so artistically, too.

I hope that Mrs. C. appreciates your efforts with her silver cleaning fluid - or was she expecting you to clean the family silver rather than take photographs of the cleaner?

Steve

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 06/01/2021 - 16:12
Wow

That 2nd from last image

Super set! Bet DOF is thin
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

coker

Link Posted 06/01/2021 - 21:48
Thanks Lubbyman. Mrs.C.'s only reply to your query was, "to which family silver do you refer.....?!"

And thanks Gareth, too!
The developed technique with regards to the rather thin () DOF is to find the optimum point of focus (L/V screen ) Then go with 10 shots either side for the stack, all at f8
I find it difficult to differenciate from, say, shot nos. 4-5 or shots 12-13, but it needs all 20 total at quite minimal step size (that I can manage!) to achieve the sharpness shown in the latter images.
I will make an effort to image the set-up tomorrow, which will make the technique much clearer......

Again, thanks all, for the interest shown,

Roger.
Last Edited by coker on 06/01/2021 - 21:51

coker

Link Posted 08/01/2021 - 22:33
From the air, I saw this island, set in a jet-black sea.
Its coast was bounded by shimmering cliffs, coves, small peninsulars & islands, whose surfaces were clad in broken, shimmering crystal rocks,
Inland from the bordering cliffs the whole landscape consisted of tightly packed conical, sharp-summited, volcanoes, whose fine grained ash & pumice tumbled down the slopes in feather-like patterns.
All were topped by a black hole where each had, many eons before,ejected there molten contents to the land.
The lower I brought my craft the more detail I was able to see & at which I found it impossible not to marvel.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188519063@N07/50815131761/in/dateposted-ff/

R.

coker

Link Posted 08/01/2021 - 22:37
Re: my previous post

.....OR

Evaporated crystals of Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin C.

Thanks for looking,
Roger.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 08/01/2021 - 22:52
Have you been flying with the RAF over that huge iceberg that's off South Georgia???

Well worth looking at the flickr version, the amount of detail is phenomenal. Definitely a big like .

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 09/01/2021 - 01:53
You should send that one to @RAFLuton on Twitter. They would love it!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.