Entries for Fortnightly Competition # 40 - Industrial Landscape

Anvh

Link Posted 28/04/2010 - 23:12
Sorry all, but something came up and I'm just back.

I'm now going to judge so give me some time.

Already thank you for you patience.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 28/04/2010 - 23:12

Anvh

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 01:28
I hope youíve enjoyed it all, it was my First competition and the First time being a Judge so hopefully everything went quite right ^^;
Now to the judging, Iím not going to chit chat so if I sound short to the point then you got that right
Iíll open all the photos in a separate screen so it will be only your photo on the screen with a grey border if the photo is too small to fill the screen and the monitor is just calibrated so got those point covered.

Elscotto - The Hang Out
It clearly shows how normal this kind of sight has become, sad if you think about it.
The composition is perfect, the colours are good even the exposureÖ Iím trying to find something where I could say something bad about but Iím unable to find something so great job!
There is one point though there is no EXIF data!!!

Bforbes Ė Pollution
Sorry Barrie but I find your photo to deviate too much from the theme but what the hell right, Iíll just evaluate it.
One of the biggest problem with your photo is that it lacks a point of focus, you donít know where to look however the photo is interesting, certainly if it is alone on the screen. The patterns and the colours in the photo become visible then and it looks pretty nice but still too busy for me.

GlynM - Farnborough Landscape
I so wished you had a bigger version of this one, I think the size really doesnít do it judgment.
Composition is always quite hard but youíve done a great job, the white (cleaning?) truck on the runway gives the interest the foreground needs to balance things out and the tower is also placed precisely right in the frame. The only sad thing about the composition is the grey weather.
All in all a very good photo, I only wished you had cropped or cloned out the bright yellow sign on the far left but thatís the only bad thing.

i-Berg - Park View Towers
I see youíve been busy here also with the post-processing I saw with your other photos, I really liked it there but with this photo itís not so great. The problem is that it makes the photo feel soft & old and it just doesnít feel right with this photo, I would rather have seen the opposite. Some little dark vignette to emphasis the focus on the towers and let the photo speak for himself because there is this great contrast between men and nature in this photo which doesnít come out as much as you could have.

dougf8 - Newlyn Fishing Port
I see some great things in this photo and you took a great risk with the fence and it might have worked very well if it wasnít for the strange curve in the fence, I wonder if you could correct that without making it look fake? Now for some good things because if you look past the fence the old scaffold and the boat on the left give you some framing so that when you look further the attention really comes on the landscape, youíve my compliments for leading my eyes so well.

JudithAnn - Smoking on the Mountian
It looks very strange, it makes you wonder whatís going on. It makes it mysteries but I wonder how the photo would have been if you saw a bit more off the industry, still a stunning shot. I really like how the mountains (for us Dutch something larger than an hump is a mountain) give you this natural framing around the industry part of the photo if we donít include the road. Once again itís very hard to say something that might have being able to be improved, great shot Judith.
Next time include the EXIF data!!!

Dr. Mhuni - Tea Factory, Sri Lankan highlands
I almost got the title wrong
Dr. Mhuni next time just ask if no one has any problems with reposting it because of this reason, I think many would not mind because now the photo doesnít look so great. It looks oversharped since you got the halos and the highlights in the plants on the foreground looks very big and harsh, I think a softer photo would have been far better even if you would reduce the details. Besides the obvious fault I really like the photo though, the composition is very nice because the only really bright thing in your shot is the tea factory so itís very clear where to focus is and the colours are very nice.

Mikew Ė untitled
Mike you knew I was easy with the theme, itís okay with me.
Your photo is a great B&W conversion, I think it would look only half as good in colour. I really like the balance in your photo, because the barbwire is infocus it gives it the power to balance itself against the two big silos in the background. Iím also very pleased with the grey weather for once because it gives you this soft light and the flat one grey toned sky which make the photo look very simple and thatís also one of his powers. Great shot Mike, Iím glad you entered it.

davidtrout - Stairway to Heaven
Donít worry either itís fits in my scope of the theme and you wonít get points for things that arenít in the photo.
Quite a strange composition but it works well for me. I wonder if it would have been better in monochrome or not to give the photo more contrast, what do you think David? I really like the little details you can see on the building(?), all those nuts and bolts and I like the fact that the angle of the stairs comes back on the right. Nicely done.

Jo - Fish factory at New Quay, Pembrokeshire (and yes, it did smell!)
For the ones that canít find the photo link
Jo very nice shot and Iím glad you could enter this one since itís so problematic for you.
I wonder if you could have aimed the camera more to the right so that you lose some of the big grey buildings on the left and placing more of the interesting stuff on the left rule of third line, it now gets overpowered in my honest opinion. The boldly coloured stuff in the centre does pull the attention back to that but not enough to my taste.

TOZZA27 - ........"this all used to be fields !! "
Sad how things can change so much certainly because itís right infront of your doorstep.
I whised you had waited for some blue skies because the photo looks very grey now but you live in Britain after all. Somehow though the grey does emphasis the little colour thatís in your photo though and Iím glad the yellow you see in the building can be found back in the flower.
I wanted to say something about the shadow on the right bottom corner but I canít anymore but the more I look at the overall photo the better it become, strange reallyÖ
Youíve no EXIF data in the photo you know!!!

cardiff_gareth - Porthkerry Viaduct
Gareth, what a stunning shot. The monochrome really works well and the composition is very nice, because you aimed your camera up while you were standing close to them they look huge. Iím not so fond on the halo though, did you use HDR treatment on it or something like that?
For the rest there itís hard to say something bad about it
You donít have any EXIF in your photo!!!

Wow finally done, it took more time than I thought. I wanted to did some judging yesterday but I couldnít.

what is the rule about EXIF!
I want to be quite harsh to be honest, I think itís quite clear what EXIF is but I donít want to go against whatís customary here. Can anyone give me some details?

I was planning to make a temporary ranking but I canít, I donít want to disappoint anyoneÖ
Sorry guys and gals for keeping you in excitement even longer.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/04/2010 - 01:30

mikew

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 07:11
Given that I included my EXIF I think all those that didn't should be disqualified

Really, I think the inclusion of the EXIF was intended to provide information and an assurance the shot was taken within the fortnight on a Pentax so I have no problem taking the member's word about when and how the photo was taken.

Maybe if we agree we really care we make the rules more assertive in the future?

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

i-Berg

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 07:16
I'm with you Mike.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

Hyram

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 08:43
Apologies to Stefan for not entering but I ran out of time to take my intended shot - 'Fawley Oil Refinery by Night'.

The requirement to provide EXIF data is in the original rules and was included, as far as I am aware, to allow the judge to check the eligibility of the photograph and to provide some info' about aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc. which is readily accessible in the Weekly Competition over in the Gallery but not for photographs posted here in the Forum.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

gartmore

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 08:45
There are a number of reasons for EXIF being absent, film for example. In one competition the judge thought I had used a Fuji camera when in fact it was a Fuji scanner. 'Saving for the web' is another reason.

EXIF can be edited anyway using Photome. I think we have to take people on trust and if the data isn't embedded then the photographer should add it at the bottom.
Ken
ďWe must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.Ē - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Hyram

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 08:50
The rules state that full EXIF data should be supplied with the entry, which most of us have taken to mean as actually writing out the EXIF in the description rather than expecting the judge to interrogate the image.

If someone opts to use film, then given that they are taking the photograph specifically for this competition, they would need to note down the relevant information.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

Anvh

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 08:58
Don't worry Gareth, it's for fun after all like Mike and I-berg seems to suggest and John noted me.

I don't know maybe we can make it so that the top 3 should send a prove over e-mail if they didn't include an EXIF for any reason or another?
Well that's something to think about for the next judge.

Now the ranking, it was a hard one because many were really good.
1. Elscotto - The Hang Out
2. JudithAnn - Smoking on the Mountian
3. cardiff_gareth - Porthkerry Viaduct
all three without exif so that's what made the rule so important

And the highly recommended goes to
GlynM - Farnborough Landscape
Dr. Mhuni - Tea Factory, Sri Lankan highlands
Mikew Ė untitled
davidtrout - Stairway to Heaven

I'm very pleased with everyone's entery and those that I named were very close together.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/04/2010 - 08:58

Anvh

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:04
gartmore wrote:
There are a number of reasons for EXIF being absent, film for example. In one competition the judge thought I had used a Fuji camera when in fact it was a Fuji scanner. 'Saving for the web' is another reason.

EXIF can be edited anyway using Photome. I think we have to take people on trust and if the data isn't embedded then the photographer should add it at the bottom.

True but when you used a digital camera you should be able to provide one with EXIF data, maybe by email like I just suggest as for film, we must just take their word for it.

It's just for fun after all so lets hope nobody is so low to cheat for a friendly competition.

Hyram wrote:
Apologies to Stefan for not entering but I ran out of time to take my intended shot - 'Fawley Oil Refinery by Night'.

Aww too bad, you had some extra time last night though
Better luck next time, it's so hard to find some time to do a shot you where intended to do.
I hoped the competition was really accessible for all.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/04/2010 - 09:05

bforbes

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:22
Thanks for your comments Stefan. I thought Elscotto's entry really stood out. Congratulations to all.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

davidtrout

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:24
Thank you Stefan, it was your first judging and you did a good job.
I agree with your choice of winner, Elscotto's picture would also have been my choice. I also liked i-Berg's cooling tower shot.
I was delighted to get highly commended as I thought the lack of landscape in my industrial scene would let me down, but the picture I had in mind to enter didn't work out because of poor light and me running out of time. At your suggestion I may try it in black and white.
I don't understand how the EXIF works in The Forum. In The Gallery it's easy, you just click on 'details' but here I wouldn't know where to find it so I always write in the details when I enter the Fortnightly competition.
david
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

bforbes

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:34
davidtrout wrote:
In The Gallery it's easy, you just click on 'details' but here I wouldn't know where to find it so I always write in the details when I enter the Fortnightly competition.
david

To see the EXIF, if the image is posted in a thread, you have to save it onto your computer then open it with something like Photome.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Anvh

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:37
Thank you all.

davidtrout wrote:
I was delighted to get highly commended as I thought the lack of landscape in my industrial scene would let me down, but the picture I had in mind to enter didn't work out because of poor light and me running out of time. At your suggestion I may try it in black and white.
I don't understand how the EXIF works in The Forum. In The Gallery it's easy, you just click on 'details' but here I wouldn't know where to find it so I always write in the details when I enter the Fortnightly competition.
david

It was enough for me, I was looking for the contrast how man changed the view of this earth and yours did that.
Time is always a problem here but it's also nice to have that pressure sometimes.
Make sure to let me see the B&W conversion, I'm interested if it would do anything for the photo.

The eEXIF here can be find be right clicking on the photo and then ask for properties.
It doesn't show everything but the most important stuff is showed.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/04/2010 - 09:38

GlynM

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:45
Many thanks Stefan for your excellent judging and for such an interesting subject.

Thanks too for my "highly recommended". It was fun to do.

Congratulations to our winners, Elscotto, JudithAnn and Gareth. Congrats also to everyone else for all the well though out submissions.

Glyn

P.S. I use Firefox add-ons Exif & Exif Viewer to read the exif data in the forum based competition.

mikew

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 10:04
Well done with your first round of judging Stefan and congratulations to ElScotto which was one I would have short-listed as well.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.