Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Eggs.....

coker
Posted 01/06/2020 - 11:47 Link
....of a shield bug on a leaf of Woundwort, a wayside flowering plant, common on the verges around here.

Comment Image

There is a species of bug called the Woundwort Shield Bug, as here.....

Comment Image

which lives its entire life on this plant but I'm not sure these are its eggs, since I've seen other s/b eggs on the same plant but some of those are yellow/orange & some a sort of milky/clear colour.
There are either other species using the same plant or there is variation within the eggs of the one species.
I'm leaning to the latter theory, perhaps the eggs change appearance with age.....?
interestingly, the row of hook-things around the top of each egg indicate the "lid" which hinges open to allow the young to escape the egg case when hatching. I don't know what, if any, purpose these structures serve.

Both k5, off-camera diffused AF200T flash.
The eggs, 50mm reversed on 200mm, stack of 23in Combine ZP.
The bug, 100mm. D FA Macro,Tamron-F 1.4x Pz-AF converter, 31mm ext. tube.
Both elements 11.

Any thoughts you may wish to share will be most welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Edited by coker: 01/06/2020 - 11:56
Lubbyman
Posted 01/06/2020 - 12:24 Link
Nicely done, as usual. And thanks for explaining about them. I've learned something new today, which makes it a good day.

A disturbing thought - from now on, sight of a pork pie will make me think of shield bug eggs.

Steve
coker
Posted 01/06/2020 - 13:39 Link
There's always a price to pay, Steve!
Thanks for looking & your encouraging remarks,

Roger.
Aitch53
Posted 01/06/2020 - 14:03 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
Nicely done, as usual. And thanks for explaining about them. I've learned something new today, which makes it a good day.

A disturbing thought - from now on, sight of a pork pie will make me think of shield bug eggs.

Steve

Funny, I thought they looked more like the woods used in crown green bowling.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
coker
Posted 01/06/2020 - 14:11 Link
True, Steve H.,

but wouldn't the little spikes stick in................?

Roger.
prsjnb
Posted 01/06/2020 - 16:44 Link
To the high standard we are coming to expect but not take for granted, Roger

Jon
McGregNi
Posted 01/06/2020 - 17:12 Link
Amazing colours on the bug and the flash diffusion has kept the detail and tones even across the subject. A fascinating image!

Now I'm not so sure about the burnt pork pies.....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
coker
Posted 01/06/2020 - 23:37 Link
Yes, Nigel.
The second one needed (even) more diffusion.
The stacking seems to have had an (even) more adverse effect on the highlights than usual.

Note to self:
Must try harder not to burn the pies!

Thanks for all your thoughts, Chaps.

Roger.
LongTimeLurker
Posted 11/06/2020 - 23:08 Link
Very nicely done Roger and educational, for me, to boot.

The bug appears to be well trained: none of the ones I try to capture stick around long enough
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.