Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

Edinburgh

NaimKhan
Posted 22/12/2017 - 22:47 Link
I am not sure what has happened because I posted this message just a few minutes ago but I can't see it so I am posting it again.
I am going to Edinburgh, over the New Year weekend, after a number of years. I would appreciate it if you could help me get some good shots of the city and surrounds.
Many thanks and Merry Christmas.
PPG
johnriley
Posted 23/12/2017 - 00:15 Link
I presume you are thinking of general photography, in which case a small number of lenses should suffice to cover most things. A wide zoom, standard zoom, longer zoom plus a fast 50mm would be great.

There are plenty of places to photograph in the city centre, but perhaps an online look or buying a guide book would make sure you don't miss the things of most interest to you.
Best regards, John
graevy
Posted 23/12/2017 - 18:43 Link
If you want some landscape shots of the city in its entirety, there are a number of good viewpoints (it is built on seven hills after all!). Calton hill and arthur’s Seat are the obvious ones but there are also good panoramic views from Blackford Hill. Though it’s a bit out of the centre, it’s barely much of a climb and you’re away from the crowds. Other than that, ducking in and out the closes off the royal mile can give some interesting light and shadow and some unusual perspectives on the usual sights. Enjoy!
McBrian
Posted 23/12/2017 - 20:29 Link
Just look for the tripod holes

There are things and sights to snap everywhere around the City Centre, Dean Village is another good area with the Water of Leith, The Forth Bridges are a 30min bus /train ride away but don't waist your time going if the light is not good. Something to remember up here in the north is the short days, the sun sets at 15:42 on New Years Eve but it is a full moon, fantastic shots of the Castle and Princess Street with the Moon from Calton Hill if it's a clear evening.

The city centre is awash with festive light shows which are pretty amazing again this year, the Virgin Money Street of Light (Royal Mile) is a must, the lights on the Dome are also pretty and there is a a huge light dome along George Street. Also be ready for the Fireworks on the Bells, Princess Street Gardens for these.

It will be busy, very busy, very very busy so watch your gear, best to be accompanied although I've never encounter any people problems.

Here's a link to explore

Above all, enjoy and have a very merry time.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Edited by McBrian: 23/12/2017 - 20:32
NaimKhan
Posted 23/12/2017 - 21:40 Link
Thank you all for you tips.
Brian, I'll be on my own so will try and be careful. I'm going to stay in Kirkcaldy so was thinking of shooting the Forth railway bridge at sunrise, from the North Queensferry.
PPG
McBrian
Posted 23/12/2017 - 22:03 Link
Staying in the Langtoon eh! Lino (Raith Rovers) teritory

Are you driving or planning to use public transport? personally I would not recommend taking a car in to Edinburgh at this time of year, parking is sparse and expensive in the City Centre.

At this time of year it's quite and ablique angle to get The Bridge at sunrise, I think you will get the best views from the old jetty off Ferry Road in North Queeensferry, the one with tha anchor is the one nearest the bridge.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Edited by McBrian: 23/12/2017 - 22:04
NaimKhan
Posted 23/12/2017 - 22:08 Link
I am was thinking of taking the train. My friend who works in the hospital in Kirkcaldy said it's about 30 minutes into Edinburgh. I will have to drive to the bridge though (I think).
PPG
Defragged
Posted 23/12/2017 - 23:01 Link
I lived and worked in Edinburgh for a while. It's a very cosmopolitan city. The Grassmarket area at the back of the castle was an interesting if not somewhat earthy place. I recall something like 12 or 14 pubs in the square if you fancied a pub crawl. But alas that was thirty sigh years or so ago so things might have changed a bit now. However, you can always have a look at Google street view to check some areas out for targets of interest and make a hit list before you travel.
It's a great place to visit but a short visit isn't time enough to explore everywhere.

Have fun
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
andymat
Posted 24/12/2017 - 15:33 Link
We were in Edinburgh last weekend - up from Newcastle on the train and it was COLD! Take some gloves!

I would echo what has already been said about the hills. Arthur's seat is high and the rocks were slippery. They have been worn smooth by thousands of feet.

Salisbury crags I think is a better view point as it is closer to the centre of the city and castle and the cliffs are good foreground. Carton hill was very busy at sunset so it was difficult to avoid many people in the shots but the low sideways lighting , if you get good weather, is wonderful.

I also think Holyroodhouse and the parliament make good locations and subjects.

This picture of Carlton hill was taken as we came down Arthur's seat with the Hills over the Firth of Forth in the background.

Comment Image
Chrism8
Posted 24/12/2017 - 16:21 Link
I can second the Forth Rail bridge from North Queensferry as long as u get some clear sky's.

There's also some good vantage points on the south side particularly from a pier that just out into the Forth which gives a pure river shot of the bridge alright some distance but u can overcome this with a 70 -200 zoom. Also good with a long exposure.

From the south side u can almost grt right under the bridge
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
SteveF
Posted 27/12/2017 - 18:18 Link
I've been to Edinburgh twice this year and enjoyed shooting there. Other posters have covered many places I would have mentioned if I'd seen this earlier. I'd just like to add the Scottish Parliament building if you are interested in architecture and the churchyard belonging to St Cuthbert's church at the western (?) end of Princes Street Gardens (opposite end to Waverley Station).

Enjoy yourself.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.