Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Dr Orloff Or How I Stopped Worrying And Learned To Love The Converging Vertical

DrOrloff
Posted 22/05/2014 - 22:07 Link
Here are some images from a stroll around London town recently. The crick in the neck architectural shot is something that I haven't tried before. I don't like converging verticals or Dutch angles so it seemed a good opportunity to confront those demons and to try out some new techniques (for me) on processing to bring my mostly dark visions to fruition. Image heavy, although I have a heap more, and a little crude in part still. C&C of whatever variety welcome:

Flightpath

Comment Image

McAlpine's Fusiliers

Comment Image

Plastic Fantastic Cover

Comment Image

Gotham

Comment Image

Big Baby Is Watching You

Comment Image

Tower Of Power 1

Comment Image

Tower Of Power 2

Comment Image

Willis

Comment Image

Lloyds

Comment Image

Klaatu Barada Nikto 1

Comment Image

Klaatu Barada Nikto 2

Comment Image

Gherkin Of Gloom

Comment Image
AndrewA
Posted 22/05/2014 - 22:10 Link
These are absolutely stunning!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
swarf
Posted 22/05/2014 - 22:16 Link
These are some really interesting and impressive images.

The only one I don't like on first viewing is #2 - McAlpine's Fusiliers. However, they all need looking at several times before finalising a view.

I think that these are quite sophisticated and require thinking about. I would like to see more of them.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
Blythman
Posted 22/05/2014 - 22:21 Link
Nice set Dr. O

Ok, Ok. Very striking images. Interesting dark and moody. As a set the cranes don't fit, and the transition from light to dark on Tower of Power 2 doesn't quite work. Looks like a lot of haloing which I know it won't be.

So, take out the cranes. Tweak Tower of Power 2, and then find a gallery to exhibit them
Alan

PPG
Flickr
davidstorm
Posted 22/05/2014 - 22:28 Link
Striking indeed and different.

I like the dark exposures particularly.

Plastic Fantastic Cover, Willis and Lloyds stand out for me. I agree with Alan that the cranes don't quite fit in this set and I think too that the bottom third of that image is needlessly dark.

Quality shines through in this set though, there is nothing here that is anything less than highly competent and some real stunners amongst them.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
CMW
Posted 22/05/2014 - 22:58 Link
I like the cranes, even if they don't fit in. A cross between War of the Worlds and Day of the Triffids. The McAlpine offices below get in the way a bit, literally and figuratively ... but without them there wouldn't be the cranes.

Otherwise, I particularly like the boldness of nos. 1 and 3. I'm not convinced all the verticals come off successfully, but that's the nature of experimentation. No.5 is an arresting piece of sculpture; that bright light in the left of your shot might at a stretch be a surrogate for the missing eye!
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
Northgrain
Posted 22/05/2014 - 23:08 Link
#1 and #3 for me.

In #1 the offset vertical line up the building adds a suitably jarring/assymetrical note, and of course the plane is superbly positioned.

#3 because of the textures of the sheeting captured so well. And because it's The Crimson Permanent Assurance. Obviously.
Smeggypants
Posted 23/05/2014 - 00:34 Link
Greawt Set Doc!

Very dark and moody as said. the cranes is perhaps my favourite. the only criticism on that one is it should be framed with some off the left and some on the right to avoid the right hand crane hitting the right edge. A case of not paying enough attention to the edges of the frame.

Other than that very enjoyable to view!!

I also note the Illuminati "hidden in plain sight" symbolism of the One Eye Big baby. Illuminati/mystery babylon symbolism is all over the place.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
bwlchmawr
Posted 23/05/2014 - 06:51 Link
A magical set, Doc. One of the best I've seen for a while. A study in gloominess.

I'd have used levels and the balanced histogram to lighten most of these: I'd nave been wrong and the shots would have been run-of-the-mill.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Pentaxophile
Posted 23/05/2014 - 08:03 Link
MAGNIFICENT.

That is all.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
fritzthedog
Posted 23/05/2014 - 08:35 Link
A style of photography that I was hooked on a couple of years ago but my interest waned.

I now realise why - I was producing stunningly average and mildly interesting images. Whereas I find these stunningly interesting!

Thanks Doc - you have re-awakened my interest, thought my cricked neck photography was over, but..............

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
MattMatic
Posted 23/05/2014 - 08:47 Link
Very enjoyable set! Thanks for sharing
...nice to see the DA12-24 put to very good use too.
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
matwhittington
Posted 23/05/2014 - 08:55 Link
Very cool set. Really we'll done. Gherkin of doom is really great I think. Top stuff

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link
bjolester
Posted 23/05/2014 - 09:16 Link
Superb! Thank you for sharing.

Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 23/05/2014 - 09:21 Link
Good to see some low-key key building shots Doc, and all beautifully taken. Yes, converging verticals can work sometimes - the cranes is a classic example which makes them look like their having a private meeting!

Its all a bit doom & gloom, but effective no doubt. It works best where the highlight areas take up a smaller part of it. Where there's greater contrast across more of the frame the edges start to reveal themselves too harshly - better where the transitions are slow & smooth.

What approach to metering did you take? Was it spot on the highlights, or did you look for midtones and lower it from there?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.