DPR review of II and IIs

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 08:02
Its took them a while but they've finally published their review. Read it here

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 09:00
A glowing review, nice to see.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Dodge69

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 09:05
Yet again a complaint about no dedicated movie button? In fact seems to the only major complaint. Movie mode is ON THE DIAL! How sensible is that! Even better than a button which you could hit accidentally me thinks!
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

Blythman

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 09:07
The card door has NEVER opened on my K5 whilst I've been shooting
Alan

PPG
Flickr

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 10:03
Blythman wrote:

Didn't it say the battery door?

"The battery door has a tendency to open during normal operation. Taping it shut when working in wet conditions might be prudent"

Or did I miss it?
But I agree with you 100%, neither has been accidently opened.

McGregNi

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 10:09
Card door is the more likely to open I'd have thought, I guess there's a tiny chance and thumb or something might nudge it lift and it can pop open. Card shouldn't fall out though

Battery door? Seems improabable surely - very much so for me with a BG-4 grip screwed on - that would have to fall off first
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 10:14
The fella that did the review, Shawn over at DPR towers has stated in a thread

"I really like the K-5 II bodies. I don't know what it would take, but I have to say I don't think it's perfect. The card door opened at random too often for my taste, which is not great for a water-resistant body; other than that I liked it a lot. Hand sizes differ such that I think I'd hesitate to give any body size/shape/build a 10"

Must have bigger hands than even me!!!

#handslikeshovels

johnriley

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 10:18
I'm a bit baffled as to how either the card door or battery door could open at random. It seems highly improbable.

If it did, I think this forum would have noticed by now.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 04/06/2013 - 10:18

Dodge69

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 10:28
Bizarre. I think my K5 is up around 25k actuation's & neither the card or battery door has ever had a 'tendency' open. Maybe the reviewer has strange 'test' copy, or was just trying to think of something to write... or was just an idiot.

Maybe the card door would open if you were wearing gel grip gloves like a golfer or warehouse operative?? Bizarre.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

Jetsam1

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 10:31
Never happened to me with either of my Pentaxes.....
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Blythman

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 10:31
bettyswolloks wrote:
Blythman wrote:

Didn't it say the battery door?

"The battery door has a tendency to open during normal operation. Taping it shut when working in wet conditions might be prudent"

Or did I miss it?
But I agree with you 100%, neither has been accidently opened.

OOPS. Yeah, battery door. Still never had a single instance of this happening.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

simonkit

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 11:50
Dodge69 wrote:
Bizarre. I think my K5 is up around 25k actuation's & neither the card or battery door has ever had a 'tendency' open. Maybe the reviewer has strange 'test' copy, or was just trying to think of something to write... or was just an idiot.

Maybe the card door would open if you were wearing gel grip gloves like a golfer or warehouse operative?? Bizarre.

Never had a single problem with either, I guess that it must be down to a slight QC issue somewhere on the production line.

In general though it looks a fair review...interesting for current Gen1 K5 owners as they suggest the only reason to upgrade would be the AF improvement

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 16:07
If that's all he really had negative to say than as we all know, the K5 is awesome

sbrads

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 16:56
Review cameras may have passed through a lot of hands before DPR got hold of them, and reviewers haven't got much incentive to take care with handling so the battery door could have easily been damaged prior to the DPR test.

johnriley

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 17:44
The trouble with the comment is that people will take it on board and it will put them off. What use is a weatherproof camera if the battery door pops open...So there is a big responsibility to gets things as right as possible.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.