Donna Nook

Blythman

Link Posted 30/11/2016 - 20:40
Donna Nook has been on the to do list since I first got into wildlife photography 5 or 6 years ago. But it is a 400 mile round trip. Well I eventually went for it. Unfortunately, the missus isn't well, and just under 2 hours watching them was all we managed (I could have stayed all day). I'd must say, if your thinking about going, just do it. No need to check tides, anytime will do. But go before the end of December. By then they'll just about all be back out at sea. Anyway, a few pics.......

Laugh a minute. Grey Seals by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Grey Seal pup. Feeding time by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Grey Seal cow reflecting on life by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Loved up Grey Seals by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Grey seal pup by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Grey Seal cow and pup by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Charging Bull Grey Seal by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Alan

PPG
Flickr

wvbarnes

Link Posted 30/11/2016 - 20:58
Lots of character in these Alan, I love the last one of the Bull grey.

K10D

Link Posted 30/11/2016 - 21:12
Good work Alan. They have character and appeal.

Best regards

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 30/11/2016 - 21:15
Great shots indeed alan
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

davidwozhere

Link Posted 01/12/2016 - 04:23
Super characterisation on all of them
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

cabstar

Link Posted 01/12/2016 - 08:07
Number three is fab, I need to get down to Donna Nook it's only 10 miles away for me. There has been over 3500 pups born this year.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

PeterE

Link Posted 01/12/2016 - 08:20
Nice set Alan, it's been years since I managed a visit. Are you still allowed down to the shoreline? It was a bit of a trek if I remember correctly.
K3, K50

Only doin' it for fun

Northgrain

Link Posted 01/12/2016 - 09:16
Characteristically superb set - great studies.

We went for a walk around Donna Nook in the summer - and found it difficult to imagine what it must be like when the seals are in. How close to the parking spot do they get?
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

08tiger

Link Posted 01/12/2016 - 09:44
Great nature shots Alan
C&C welcome.
Don.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 01/12/2016 - 10:45
These are marvellous. Looks like a great place.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 01/12/2016 - 16:42
Super set Alan... as been's said above, lovely character to these... have been a few times round that neck of the woods... quite a stretch of coastline...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Stridey

Link Posted 01/12/2016 - 22:03
Very impressive, Alan. Love the bull grey seal - would make a good caption competition !
Best regards
Nigel

www.nigelstridephotography.co.uk

Blythman

Link Posted 02/12/2016 - 09:22
Much appreciate the comments folks. To answer a couple of questions. I understand its been requested that people keep away from the shoreline between October and December. Apparently their have previously been numerous cases of disturbance effecting their well being and breeding success. As to car parking I went straight to the overflow car park, which is privately owned. Just 2 for the day. Short walk through the dunes and the seals are right in front of you on the other side of a fence. At all distances. All my shots were with the DFA 150-450 on FF but I wish I'd taken the fisheye too.

If anyone is going, We left just after 12 on Sunday, by which time it was very busy. Best get there in the morning or on a weekday if possible.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.