Do you worry about 'bit rot'

Kseries

Link Posted 25/04/2015 - 10:24
johnriley wrote:
That's true 50mpCMOS, but to be fair negatives can survive the most appalling conditions and still survive over 100 years. Some survive intact, some need restoration, but they do survive in a usable state.

I never throw film away, but 10 years ago I came close to breaking this rule, and considered throwing some old slides out that had been badly stored. Today, I'm scanning and repairing these with scanning technology and software that didn't exist a decade ago.

Jetsam1

Link Posted 28/04/2015 - 20:56
There's a thread on the other site about storage and back ups and it all sounds quite complex and expensive........... I just have an external HD that I copy files over onto as a back up. How far do you go to back up images? I don't really have a second location to store an external HD.....
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

RussV

Link Posted 29/04/2015 - 09:23
For anyone who has obsolete software that won't run on a current PC operating system (OS). If you have or can obtain an installation CD of the original OS then download 'VMWare Player' (free for personal use). In simple terms this enables a PC simulation to run on your current PC OS which can then be loaded with your old OS and then your obsolete software.

I use it to run a copy of Windows XP on my Windows 7 PC. It's possible to create several virtual PCs, I also have one running Linux and one a Microsoft server OS for testing purposes.

There's also 'VirtualBox' which does a smilar job but not as well IMO.
www.russv.me.uk
Last Edited by RussV on 29/04/2015 - 09:25

Jetsam1

Link Posted 29/04/2015 - 09:51
RussV wrote:
For anyone who has obsolete software that won't run on a current PC operating system (OS). If you have or can obtain an installation CD of the original OS then download 'VMWare Player' (free for personal use). In simple terms this enables a PC simulation to run on your current PC OS which can then be loaded with your old OS and then your obsolete software.

I use it to run a copy of Windows XP on my Windows 7 PC. It's possible to create several virtual PCs, I also have one running Linux and one a Microsoft server OS for testing purposes.

There's also 'VirtualBox' which does a smilar job but not as well IMO.

Well worth doing and very easy. Another trick I've done is to use a Linux boot cd to recover files from a hard drive in a knackered computer, worked nicely and saved most of my dad's photos and files.
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

RussV

Link Posted 29/04/2015 - 10:01
Regarding my earlier post, here is the download link for WMWare Player, it's also available for Linux, so for example, a copy of Win XP could run inside a Linux PC.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/7...
www.russv.me.uk
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.