Do you process your own film?

JAK

Link Posted 09/08/2017 - 14:05
If he's a mate perhaps he'll do it privately for you still?
Or buy a developing tank!
Is having someone provide a disc of scanned images really that different to taking them on digital in the first place?
John K

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 10/08/2017 - 10:56
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
ive just found out in the last few days that my mate who owned a shop in town that does developing and prints has had to close due to high rates etc.
He did a 36 roll of colour, developed and scanned for 4
The cheapest I can get it down to at the moment is 6 quid with postal fees

Looks like my days shooting analogue are numbered.

To say I am gutted is a understatement - I just cant afford to shoot it anymore

Shooting and reviewing digital images does absolutely nothing for me but I'll have to try and fall in love with it again

Sounds to me like you'll need to learn to develop yourself. In the long run I don't think it will work out as more expensive than having someone else do them, though it will use more of your time, especially if you're also scanning yourself.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 10/08/2017 - 10:56

fatspider

Link Posted 15/08/2017 - 18:20
Developing your own B&W film is easy and a lot less reliant on accurate temperatures than colour.

Another option you could consider is shooting slide film and developing that yourself, I had a go at this back in the 80s using just a Patterson developing tank and the thermostatic shower in the bathroom, getting the shower to run at a specific temp. with the shower head removed gave me an instant supply of water at the correct temp.

Developing slide film may be a bit more expensive than colour negative but you have the advantage of a much cleaner noise free image.

Google E6 processing.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 16/08/2017 - 09:36
I send mine to a lab (Peak Imaging - they've never let me down) but at over 10 to get a set of prints done, and with film costing 5 or more now (even FP4/HP5) the economics of prints from film is getting less appealing day by day. So I might just have to use E6 in the film cameras in future if I can get hold of Provia/Velvia inexpensively... I do love using my M645 and Z-1p but I don't have the skills or patience to develop my own film/
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.