Do you have a question for the Pentax team of experts?

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Old thread causing confusion

willyolly

Link Posted 27/06/2014 - 07:26
Will Pentax re-introduce software for teathered shooting for the K3. It had various programs for ist & k10 in the past so why none for its flagship K3? Else why not co-operate with Adobe for teathered shooting in Lightroom.

caj26

Link Posted 27/06/2014 - 09:31
The instruction book that comes with the camera is not comprehensive and even the pro Pentax camera experts don't always know the solution, I had a problem and it was members on this forum that told me the solution ( it was a setting in the menu,I had to change). Is it possible to have a comprehensive guide? Thanks.

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/06/2014 - 12:06
I agree that whilst its not the job of camera makers to produce guides to photography technique, some detail and 'situational instruction' on the application options and choices for various settings and features should be part of their remit. It would help users get more out of the camera earlier and therefore feedback in better user appreciation.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

jwoodman

Link Posted 27/06/2014 - 15:31
Completely agree about terrible Pentax manuals - my assumption is that they are written by Pentax experts for Pentax experts. The problem is that, presumably because of limited sales, there are no third-party books available, unlike Nikon and Canon. There is an e-book available for the K5, which I thoroughly recommend, by Yvon Bourque, available at http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/. It certainly helped me, although I still struggle with many features of the K5.

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/06/2014 - 15:43
There's an excellent Magic Lantern guide to the K7 and some earlier models also ... Not sure if there's been anything from the book series for our latest K500 / K50 / K3 dslrs?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Maeluk

Link Posted 30/06/2014 - 10:13
Maeluk wrote:
My first pentax k5 body locked up and needed to have its battery removed to restart. My second, a k3 body wouldn't write to its cards, (first outing saw me take 300 photos and 118 were recorded on its card) and was replaced. The third Pentax a k3 again will not start the first time it is switched on, it just looks dead and it also needs its battery removed before it will burst into life. Taking a battery out means taking off the
DB5 grip and is a nuisance every time I want to take a photograph..

Have I jut been unlucky with my camera bodies? My Minolta and Panasonic cameras just didn't have these problems. Is there anything your technical experts can suggest to make the k3 camera useable ?

SRS have solved the problem with a link to a firmware update which has fixed the starting problem the firmware is 1.03.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 30/06/2014 - 10:29
Roscoe wrote:
I can't understand why Pentax discontinued the off camera flash boom and the Hot shoe cable and grip.

All this seems to have been binned as soon as Digital SLR came into being.

As the worst place to mount a flash is on top of the camera, why has Pentax not produced similar kit for Digital SLR cameras?

+1
LennyBloke

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 02/07/2014 - 20:50
What are the future plans (if any) for the Pentax Photo Gallery? New additions to the Premiere Collection seem to have been suspended, and as many have said on this site the quality control of the gallery overall has been variable for a while... personally would love to see it back as an inspirational showcase for the very best of what Pentax photographers have to offer... so, any plans for the future?

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

DrOrloff

Link Posted 02/07/2014 - 21:13
I wholeheartedly second that. I have lost interest in the PPG for that reason. Pentax should encourage its photographers to show that they can match the best images taken with other brands out there. Instead in the dumbing down of the PPG and the rather snapshot quality of many of the 'ambassador' images Pentax comes across marketing itself as a brand for the mediocre.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/07/2014 - 21:21
Sorry guys, is there some confusion here? The PPG, thats not part of this site is it?

DrOrloff

Link Posted 02/07/2014 - 21:23
It is the Pentax Photo Gallery. Am erstwhile great idea, now neglected. Nothing to do with this site.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/07/2014 - 21:33
OK, yes, I'm catching up now Thats all run by Ricoh/Pentax. I'm guessing Ricoh just 'inherited' it. Have they left it alone or made any changes? Doesn't sound like there's much nurturing going on though.

Roscoe

Link Posted 08/07/2014 - 12:26
jwoodman wrote:
Completely agree about terrible Pentax manuals - my assumption is that they are written by Pentax experts for Pentax experts. The problem is that, presumably because of limited sales, there are no third-party books available, unlike Nikon and Canon. There is an e-book available for the K5, which I thoroughly recommend, by Yvon Bourque, available at http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/. It certainly helped me, although I still struggle with many features of the K5.

Hi have you tried a "Magic Lantern Guide"?
I purchased one for my K20D and found it a lot better than the Pentax manual as supplied with my camera!

jwoodman

Link Posted 08/07/2014 - 14:36
Roscoe wrote:
jwoodman wrote:

I purchased one for my K20D and found it a lot better than the Pentax manual as supplied with my camera!

jwoodman

Link Posted 08/07/2014 - 14:38
jwoodman wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Quote:

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Old thread causing confusion