Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Do you have a question for the Pentax team of experts?

• Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Old thread causing confusion
nik111
Posted 12/06/2014 - 11:16 Link
Hi guys,

Pentax are giving you the opportunity to ask their team of experts questions so if you want advice on a particular piece of kit, want to learn more about a certain type of technology or have any other question you think Pentax can help with, please post them here.

Please do not ask about future releases as this is something that Pentax will not be able to discuss.

You'll have the opportunity to post your questions here for 1 month before we collect all of the questions together to send over to Pentax.

Once sent, please allow up to 1 month to receive a response to your question(s).

We will post the answers in this forum as well as in a news piece on-site.

I hope you find this opportunity useful!

Thanks,

Nik.
Mannesty
Posted 12/06/2014 - 12:51 Link
As a loyal user of Pentax equipment I'd like to see some of the firmware functions found in current models appear in updates to more recent, but no longer current models.

Focus peaking is one that springs to mind, I'm sure others can think of some more.

I'm not talking about retrofitting new firmware based functions to the very old models, just the last one or two, like the K-5/II/IIs bodies.

My question is, "Why won't Ricoh/Pentax provide some of the firmware only enhancements from current models for our slightly older ones?"
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 12/06/2014 - 12:52
Mannesty
Posted 12/06/2014 - 12:54 Link
If I'm allowed a second question, "Why was control of an off camera Pentax P-TTL compatible flash omitted from the Pentax MX-1, and can it be implemented in a firmware update (please)".
bforbes
Posted 12/06/2014 - 13:02 Link
My question relates to SDM lens motor failure. So is it not possible to allow the user a selection of SDM or screw drive focusing, where the lens has both systems?
Mannesty
Posted 12/06/2014 - 13:36 Link
bforbes wrote:
. . . is it not possible to allow the user a selection of SDM or screw drive focusing, where the lens has both systems?

+1
kh1234567890
Posted 12/06/2014 - 14:52 Link
Why is there no possibility of user calibration of the horizon/level sensor and correction ? Surely this is just a software fiddle factor somewhere.
Fletcher8
Posted 12/06/2014 - 15:00 Link
Why is the flash sync speed set at 1/180th rather than 1/250 ?
Fletcher8.
wvbarnes
Posted 12/06/2014 - 15:01 Link
Do you really expect us to need to calibrate all modern lenses to the body or should they autofocus accurately straight from the box please?
JAK
Posted 12/06/2014 - 15:33 Link
Hi nik111, great thread and agree on all the above suggestions. If something else comes to mind I'll post it here.
John K
MattMatic
Posted 12/06/2014 - 16:25 Link
Quote:
Do you really expect us to need to calibrate all modern lenses to the body or should they autofocus accurately straight from the box please?

Probably they won't 100% (discussed on other threads).

BUT - good idea would be to link the AF calibration with the LiveView focus. i.e. to have the camera automatically compare the difference between the phase AF and the contrast AF and apply the setting for that lens.

MX-1
Similar to above comments... but I'd like to see a couple of minor firmware tweaks to bring it more in line with the dSLRs.
i.e. able to delete an image while the immediate preview is showing (rather than having to revert to play mode)
i.e. able to save the last buffer as RAW DNG - as the Pentax Q does

Thanks!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
JohnX
Posted 12/06/2014 - 16:37 Link
Why can't the AF Fine adjustment (a) be cumulative, i.e Global + One, useful when a body has a general + or - tolerance, and/or (b) have greater range, i.e. +/- 20,30,40...?
JohnX
Posted 12/06/2014 - 16:38 Link
Why is tethering no longer a software-based option? It stopped with the K20D I believe, and if you don't have the K3 a Flucard is no good..
JAK
Posted 12/06/2014 - 17:51 Link
Difficult to find advice on the devices the Flucard is compatible with, eg Kindle HD? It's an Android device but cannot find guidance on the issue. Result - I don't buy one just in case! A proper dedicated tether would seem more useful.
John K
steven9761
Posted 12/06/2014 - 18:25 Link
Given that Ricoh/Pentax offer digital compacts with GPS available as an option, wouldn't it make more sense to do likewise with the range of DSLR's, rather than having to buy a separate unit which I'm given to understand is hot shoe-mounted?
JAK
Posted 12/06/2014 - 19:31 Link
Surprised no one's mentioned this already: When's the full frame (35x24) DSLR coming. Many have got impatient with the wait! Pentax designed one of the first of these but are the last to have one for sale. Surely not long?
John K