Do people really pay £250 for a K1000 & 50mm f/2


Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 14:15
I know SRS are the offical partners and they offer some great deals but I saw this in their used section on the bay and can't help but think that surely no-one would pay this kind of money for the lowest grade K body coupled with the lowest grade M lens. I wouldn't pay more than £50 for this, even with the year's guarantee. You could get a KM or KX and 50/1.4 for half the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143508906222?ul_noapp=true


Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

barkin

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 14:55
I've bought from SRS before, and they've always been a pleasure to deal with, but I do find some of their used prices to be rather...erm...ambitious.

I agree - K1000 + 50mm/f2 = 50-60 quid.

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 15:01
The last 3x that we've had have sold for £249.....

If you can find me any for £50 - £60 I'll buy every single one of them (for significantly more!)

They have become very desirable and are attracting a cult following even though better specified cameras are significantly cheaper in the market. We are finding that there is an increasing demand for "simple" film DSLR's. We were struggling to sell them for £99 5-6 years ago!

This particular example is in near mint condition.
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

barkin

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 15:48
Wow! You live and learn, eh?

I have noticed some of the M series lenses seem to be creeping up in price a bit too.

Related, perhaps?

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 16:04
barkin wrote:
Wow! You live and learn, eh?

I have noticed some of the M series lenses seem to be creeping up in price a bit too.

Related, perhaps?

Could be.

As with all used equipment, value is condition dependant as poor condition ones go for quite a bit less than this.
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

cbrog

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 16:12
Strewth, I recently gave my immaculate K1000 ( I purchased it new in about 1978-9) and a M50 1.7 to the local hospice shop. I bet they didn't get anything like that for it...

johnha

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 16:12
An M50/2 is an authentic lens for the later K1000s, I went out of my way to get a K55/2 (compared to a K55/1. for my MIJ K1000. Other used dealers have similar prices (although not perhaps the same backup). It's not just K1000s either, ME Supers are creeping up in price too.

West Yorkshire Cameras have a boxed black KM with a broken meter for £75: link
PPG Flickr

Benz3ne

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 16:30
Agreed - it seems a little high to us, who have often scored deals as we know what we're looking for. However, it is from a reputable company and if you're just starting out, or want some sort of backing from the supplier should something not quite be as anticipated, then the premium comes in there.

I've not seen many K1000's going cheap, truth be told. A few auctions on eBay I've seen at £50-70 with a few days left, let alone with their accompanying lens!

Also yes re: lens prices. I'm trying to source a couple of cheap lenses (probably M50/1.7s), with or without fungus, for an upcoming excursion, and they're coming up as inexpensive as the A-50/1.7 I recently sold!

johnha

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 18:59
Positively cheap compared to this one: link

At least the high prices might stop people breaking them for parts at inflated prices.
PPG Flickr

Lubbyman

Link Posted 23/01/2020 - 21:29
Vintage, heritage, nostalgia and a desire to experience analogue are fashionable at the moment.

Now why have I just bought a new record player to replace an ancient one that was falling apart and hardly ever used? Could have junked the hardly-ever-played vinyl and accepted that digital is what it's all about. But I didn't and am playing the old hiss and crackle again...

Steve

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 24/01/2020 - 22:01
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:
The last 3x that we've had have sold for £249.....

If you can find me any for £50 - £60 I'll buy every single one of them (for significantly more!)

They have become very desirable and are attracting a cult following even though better specified cameras are significantly cheaper in the market. We are finding that there is an increasing demand for "simple" film DSLR's. We were struggling to sell them for £99 5-6 years ago!

This particular example is in near mint condition.

Just goes to show that even in the internet age people don't research properly.

If you can send me some more info on those film DSLRs, simple or otherwise, I'd be interested to have a look
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

danofmk

Link Posted 25/01/2020 - 10:25
The youth of today hey!

womble

Link Posted 27/01/2020 - 17:58
Despite my addiction to K-series things, I've never wanted a K1000. Give me a KM, KX or K2 any day. Now, seeing the prices, I'm glad I still don't want one...

Funnily enough, I have got to the stage where there aren't really any 35mm Pentax bodies I especially want. I'd love to get my Pentax K functional again, and sometimes I wonder about trying an MZ-S, but other than that I have an embarrassment of riches. The LX and MX see most use, the ES and ESII see good use, the Spottie, the K2DMD... There are some bodies I've never used such as the MV-1. (I went through a phase of getting all the M-series bodies.) I've even got an Auto 110...

The one Pentax film camera I would love to try is a 67 (or 6x7, or 67II). There is a US company which rents them, so I'm thinking of hiring a set-up next time I am over there.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnha

Link Posted 27/01/2020 - 21:25
womble wrote:
The one Pentax film camera I would love to try is a 67 (or 6x7, or 67II). There is a US company which rents them, so I'm thinking of hiring a set-up next time I am over there.

I'd definitely give one a go sooner than later, they are great to use and can deliver fantastic results. They're all old cameras with dubious parts & repair options, I know mines on borrowed time, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.
PPG Flickr

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 28/01/2020 - 10:01
womble wrote:
Despite my addiction to K-series things, I've never wanted a K1000. Give me a KM, KX or K2 any day. Now, seeing the prices, I'm glad I still don't want one...

Funnily enough, I have got to the stage where there aren't really any 35mm Pentax bodies I especially want. I'd love to get my Pentax K functional again, and sometimes I wonder about trying an MZ-S, but other than that I have an embarrassment of riches. The LX and MX see most use, the ES and ESII see good use, the Spottie, the K2DMD... There are some bodies I've never used such as the MV-1. (I went through a phase of getting all the M-series bodies.) I've even got an Auto 110...

The one Pentax film camera I would love to try is a 67 (or 6x7, or 67II). There is a US company which rents them, so I'm thinking of hiring a set-up next time I am over there.

Cheers, Kris.

I'm with you on the 6x7/67. There's a place over her ein Madrid that rents a package - body and three lenses - for €28 a day, which doesn't sound too bad to me. The only problem would be finding a day on which I could spend the entire time out with that monster and make good use of it.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.