Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Do I need the new FA 35mm f2.0?

Defragged
Posted 06/03/2019 - 18:12 Link
RobL wrote:
You lot are a bad influence.

But of course, thats why you come here! Well done on hitting the button!

Seriously though, I and I suspect others here would be interested in hearing about your experience with your new acquisition. Perhaps in due course you might provide some feedback and your thoughts on owning and using the new 35mm f2.8.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
RobL
Posted 06/03/2019 - 19:53 Link
Defragged wrote:
RobL wrote:
You lot are a bad influence.

But of course, thats why you come here! Well done on hitting the button!

Seriously though, I and I suspect others here would be interested in hearing about your experience with your new acquisition. Perhaps in due course you might provide some feedback and your thoughts on owning and using the new 35mm f2.8.

SRS still awaiting stock which is frustrating, especially as the Pentax U.K. store is showing they have stock! I don’t have the older version so won’t be able to compare, but looking forward to playing with it now.
pschlute
Posted 06/03/2019 - 20:27 Link
Well done Rob...you know it makes sense.
JAK
Posted 08/03/2019 - 00:26 Link
Wonder why Ricoh didn't resurrect the design for the 35mm f/1.4 from deep in the Pentax vaults?
Comment Image

It would have matched their other recent mammoths!

PS If you spot one of those M lenses at a boot sale or flea market, don't pass it by! It will make you very wealthy.
John K
Edited by JAK: 08/03/2019 - 00:38
pschlute
Posted 08/03/2019 - 01:00 Link
JAK wrote:
Wonder why Ricoh didn't resurrect the design for the 35mm f/1.4 from deep in the Pentax vaults?

Now that would make for a centenary year surprise
JAK
Posted 08/03/2019 - 23:28 Link
pschlute wrote:
JAK wrote:

Now that would make for a centenary year surprise

Just in case they've lost the design in their reorg , does this help?

http://pentaxstudy.bufsiz.jp/Lensdesign/SMC-PM35_14/SMC-PM35_14_Design.htm
or (sort of) translated:
https://translate.google.com/translate?tl=en&u=http://pentaxstudy.bufsiz.jp/Lens...
John K
Edited by JAK: 08/03/2019 - 23:28
RobL
Posted 09/03/2019 - 08:49 Link
It’s here, thanks SRS, and will give it an airing this weekend. First impression is it’s very compact and light, would probably feel better balanced on the K50 if I ever get that back from daughter. Holding the camera the focus ring rests naturally in my left hand which is handy for manual focus but have to be careful on auto. It has an aperture ring so can be used on my film SLR as well. Handily at 49mm it takes the same filters as the 100mm macro, and for square filters I have a set of Cokin 67mm NDs which work ok on it without vignetting.
JAK
Posted 09/03/2019 - 12:28 Link
Anyone able to compare the new one against the old version?
John K
Algernon
Posted 09/03/2019 - 13:13 Link
The new lens looks superb to me. Some tests from Japan....
https://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/2019/02/hdpentaxfa35mmf2,tsukigase.html

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
RobL
Posted 09/03/2019 - 13:48 Link
Here are a few grabbed this morning. Some light post-processing but sharpness and colour look good straight out of the camera.
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

All handheld, the lightness of the lens helps keep it steady at slow speeds.
RobL
Posted 09/03/2019 - 14:03 Link
And here is one cropped:
Comment Image

and a bit more:
Comment Image
RobL
Posted 10/03/2019 - 17:44 Link
Here are a few more:
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

I am getting to like this lens, even with highish ISOs the noise seems to be less intrusive although I cannot think why that should be. The colour needs very little adjustment; it was a very windy day so the blue around tree twigs is caused by movement.
Defragged
Posted 10/03/2019 - 19:54 Link
Good evening RobL. Well it looks like you have been enjoying the fruits of your new purchase. I hope it's everything you hoped it would be. Judging by your examples, it certainly looks sweet enough to me.

I too have had a little play with my just serviced Auto Tak 35mm f2.3. The wind was howling outside my front door this aft but I managed a quick snap of some flowers between gusts. I bought this lens primarily for it's painterly bokah. It's not to every one's taste but this for me is one of the great aspects of ownership of vintage lenses. Unlike so many modern lenses, they often display great character and idiosyncrasies, they have form, they are tactile and just a joy to behold. Below is a jpeg straight from the camera, handheld in a gale and nowt special but not bad for a sixty year old lens. I hope you derive as much pleasure from your 35 as I will from mine
Comment Image

Cropped
Comment Image

And one from yesterday
Comment Image
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.