Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Discussion - Weekly Competition # 172 - Halloween

Hyram
Posted 27/10/2010 - 08:28 Link
Not an easy subject IMHO, and as I did not having anything suitable, I decided to have a bit of fun
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Hyram
Posted 29/10/2010 - 14:02 Link
Well - it looks like most people are going to be manically busy on Sunday evening
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
amoringello
Posted 30/10/2010 - 00:35 Link
Hey, anyone know if it is possible to re-upload an image after the entry is deleted?

I uploaded an entry but for the first time the image looked nothing like it did on my computer before uploading. (dunno quite what went wrong, I've been using the same process for several years but it was about two stops too dark after uploading).

Anyway, I deleted my entry but the system thinks I'm still entered and won't let me re-upload.
Any ideas what I need to do or who to talk to about freeing up the lock?
JudithAnn
Posted 30/10/2010 - 02:58 Link
amoringello...I asked John about that not too long ago...and you cannot re enter in the weekly comp!

I think one of the problems with this topic is that it would have been better if it was next week....after all the Halloweeners came and went.
I created my own little fellow....It was a stuffed snowman doll, and I put a pumkin over his head! Poor snowman!!!!
thoughton
Posted 30/10/2010 - 11:43 Link
Happened to me last week as well, uploaded, colour was wrong so I deleted it, and then couldn't upload again! Would be lovely If thus coyld be fixed (JR? )
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
gartmore
Posted 30/10/2010 - 12:02 Link
Best to put in a report to IT
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
johnriley
Posted 30/10/2010 - 12:55 Link
The decision was made to limit to one chance only as there were some who were replacing their images.

This was thought to be potentially unfair - after all, I could look at how the competition was going, decide my image wasn't as good and put a better one in in the light of the rest.

Unfortunately it means that there's one chance only. If your colour is wrong, make sure you're working throughout in sRGB colour space and not mixing it with AdobeRGB.
Best regards, John
Prieni
Posted 30/10/2010 - 16:31 Link
johnriley wrote:
This was thought to be potentially unfair - after all, I could look at how the competition was going, decide my image wasn't as good and put a better one in in the light of the rest.

Why would I want to submit second best in the first place, I wonder?

johnriley wrote:
If your colour is wrong, make sure you're working throughout in sRGB colour space and not mixing it with AdobeRGB.

Isn't that overestimating the importance of the weekly competition a bit?
I'd rather have a suboptimal entry than loosing colour space in all the shots I won't submit. I think Tim got over it pretty quickly.

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
johnriley
Posted 30/10/2010 - 16:38 Link
Not really Prieni, it's just trying to be helpful because quite a few people I know have found colour problems on the web. There are very few circumstances in which the full gamut of Adobe RGB can be used as the range of printers, monitors and web is just about the sRGB size.

If you display Adobe RGB images on most monitors they will appear less saturated than sRGB. In most cases.

This will change in the future of course, but for now it's probably a reasonable supposition. It's not difficult to convert fortunately.

As for the point about sub-standard images we would need to ask those who have done this in the past why they did, and I can't help you there!
Best regards, John
Prieni
Posted 30/10/2010 - 17:18 Link
I'm confident that you took my comment as it was meant, a bit tounge in cheek.
johnriley wrote:

Not really Prieni, it's just trying to be helpful because quite a few people I know have found colour problems on the web.

I know that you were trying to help. It seems I'm in bean counting mode today...

Quote:
There are very few circumstances in which the full gamut of Adobe RGB can be used as the range of printers, monitors and web is just about the sRGB size.

It seems that there is at least some information out in the reaches of the WWW that seems to contradict this. As I vaguely remembered something I just did a Google search and one source I stumbled upon was this from Cambridgeincolour, which seems to be credible (which doesn't keep it from being wrong).

Here is what another credible source says:
Wikipedia wrote:
The Adobe RGB color space is an RGB color space developed by Adobe Systems in 1998. It was designed to encompass most of the colors achievable on CMYK color printers, but by using RGB primary colors on a device such as the computer display.

So it seems that Adobe was thinking that printers do have a bigger colour gamut.

Quote:
If you display Adobe RGB images on most monitors they will appear less saturated than sRGB. In most cases.

You mean if you display AdobeRGB images with software that assumes sRGB as the colour space. If I use Photoshop, Picasa or Firefox then it will look pretty close to the sRGB converted image (and there lies your point, I would say; it's not that much different at all. And I agree.:lol

Quote:

This will change in the future of course, but for now it's probably a reasonable supposition.

With more and more applications being colour profile aware I think the future has arrived already.

Quote:
It's not difficult to convert fortunately.

True.

Quote:
As for the point about sub-standard images we would need to ask those who have done this in the past why they did, and I can't help you there!

Hmmm, I should endeavour to submit only my second best entries and see if I can pull one off. Maybe that's what they were trying, it's some kind of extra challenge.
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
johnriley
Posted 30/10/2010 - 17:25 Link
It might be worth mentioning that, whatever colour space you use in camera, it's a good idea to make sure that Photoshop is set to the same. Photoshop default is sRGB, so it needs changing if you use Adobe RGB.

AS regards colour spaces, I know the man who made the colour right for the big names such as Cadbury's and who advised Canon on colour, so I am quite sure that most printers will not print the full Adobe space. We had an hour and a half session of coloour just last week...

There are a couple of newer Canon printers that might, after the addition of new colours of ink. It's getting there.
Best regards, John
Prieni
Posted 30/10/2010 - 17:40 Link
Well, that sounds like a credible source to me. And it is not too far away from what is said in the link I gave above. It's only high end ink jet printers that make use of the extra-gamut.

Prieni
Prieni's PPG page
amoringello
Posted 30/10/2010 - 22:14 Link
Same workflow for me that I have been using for the past few years.
Camera set to Adobe RGB, but everything that gets exported or saved as JPEG goes to sRGB (for printing, posting on web, etc...).

EXIF also shows it was saved out as sRGB. So I'm stumped about why the image looked so bad. I even opened the same image in the browser and it looked fine.

I'm not going to blame the competition uploader, otherwise everyone else would be having issues. It is just odd.
amoringello
Posted 30/10/2010 - 22:21 Link
Just testing.... Will probably delete shortly.
Well I dunno what happened earlier, but the image looks just fine now.

Comment Image
Edited by amoringello: 30/10/2010 - 22:25
bforbes
Posted 31/10/2010 - 23:19 Link
I hope we have some more entries, we have the wrong number for Halloween at the moment

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.