Discussion : Weekly Competition No. 12 - "Hard and Soft"

Ammonyte

Link Posted 25/09/2007 - 18:11
May I be the first to say "ooh err missus" in Frankie Howard sort-of-way?

I can never avoid the obvious joke.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 25/09/2007 - 18:25
You dirty old man...

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

lenscape

Link Posted 25/09/2007 - 19:00
A cursory search of the net pulled up some interesting - uhm - inspiration.
lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)

Prieni

Link Posted 26/09/2007 - 11:59
It certainly wasn't meant this way

Although I'm not a native speaker of English I would have thought that this is not the obvious interpretation. (I can't imagine you would misunderstand me on purpose, of course).

Well, maybe some of you have read "Spiegel online" at the time of the football world championship last year. And they might have read this article in the series "Germany survival bible":
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,415516,00.html

Then, making the connection to the fact that I live in (East) Germany, this misunderstanding might be excusable.

I trust that you can find some interpretations of the theme that are more appropriate for this forum
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 27/09/2007 - 18:45
I had a hard time getting a good image from my marine aquarium, can anybody give me some advice?

For some reason I can't get a sharp picture, focusing seems spot on, both to my eye and the camera sensor but the resulting image is very soft. I have to go to really small apertures to get it reasonably sharp, and even them I'm dissapointed. the image I've submitted is the result of an hour's work in front of the tank, trying various combinations. F18-22 work best but I have to push ISO up to 400. I think it is the depth of field that is helping to get a sharp(-ish) image.

Is this due to the refractive index of salt water? I would have thought that if it looks sharp in the VF then it will be sharp on the sensor.

Any thoughts?
Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery

gartmore

Link Posted 28/09/2007 - 15:18
I'd imagine that the two surfaces of the tank's wall wont help - effectively a big filter of non-optical glass. I cant see that the water would affect the difference in perceived viewfinder sharpness and the end image. Water borne particles wont be helping much either. How are you lighting the subject? If its with flash, that could be hitting the aforementioned particles and that could be giving a softening effect. I mention this because my marine housing has a built in flash diffuser to prevent this.

EDIT:
I looked at your picture again and I think the aquarium glass is the problem.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Ammonyte

Link Posted 28/09/2007 - 18:29
Is it just me, or did anyone else think that lenscapes' picture was actually about Bluetounge?

Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 28/09/2007 - 19:45
gartmore wrote:
I'd imagine that the two surfaces of the tank's wall wont help - effectively a big filter of non-optical glass. I cant see that the water would affect the difference in perceived viewfinder sharpness and the end image. Water borne particles wont be helping much either. How are you lighting the subject? If its with flash, that could be hitting the aforementioned particles and that could be giving a softening effect. I mention this because my marine housing has a built in flash diffuser to prevent this.

EDIT:
I looked at your picture again and I think the aquarium glass is the problem.

The tank is a triangular unit with curved front wall, i try to align the camera perpendicular.

Flash helps somewhat, there is little particulate matter in the water.

The scene looks much much sharper through the viewfinder than on the final image and that's what I can't get my head around.
Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 28/09/2007 - 21:10
Don't forget that when you're looking at the image on a computer screen it's much more magnified than when you're looking in the viewfinder, so any softness is greatly magnified too.

Shooting through a curved sheet of glass is unfortunately not going to help at all - however perpendicular you are to it, light's going to be passing through the outermost regions of the glass at a greater angle, and diffraction is going to affect sharpness. Are the other two sides of the triangular tank curved? If not, try shooting through these if you can.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Mannesty

Link Posted 28/09/2007 - 21:58
Lenscape,

Your pic was shot with a C***n ? ? ? ? ? ?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

johnriley

Link Posted 28/09/2007 - 23:02
Quote:

I noticed that as well. After the initial feeling of shock has worn off you will return to normal. Probably.

Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 28/09/2007 - 23:07
How to photo a fish tank:
here's my 2 cents....
(may not help with the curved glass, but good advice none the less.)

set two lights (I prefer strobes) above the aquarium one on each side of the aquarium, pointed down 45degrees. Each light aimed towards the farthest end of the tank (top off the tank). (gobo the lights if nescessary to prevent lens flare).

set up a black backdrop infront of the aquarium, to cut out reflections. (I use black curtians on a backdrop stand) cut or open a slot to put your lens through the black backdrop.

try to set exposure, and color balance manually and aim for a f-stop of f8 to f16.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

lenscape

Link Posted 28/09/2007 - 23:15
Mannesty wrote:
Lenscape,

Absolutely. My Pentax zeal stops shy of bigotry.
lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)

dirk1000

Link Posted 29/09/2007 - 01:59
Ladies and gentlemen,

It looks like this week will be a colorful competition, so I uploaded mine in color to. But I can’t resist how sepia looks… Out of competition, here it is…

"The truth, the falsehood..."

Best regards.

Lilly

Link Posted 29/09/2007 - 19:14
Can someone remind when closing time is for comp., I have been rather busy of late and brain is somewhat addled I hope to put in my two penny worth eventually, its going to be a specially constructed job so need to ken how long I have?
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.