Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Digitising negative collection

johnriley
Posted 19/01/2007 - 17:45 Link
Digital ICE does indeed add time to a scan. In fact, film scanning is a time-consuming thing to do. For this reason, we have not digitised our back catalogue of images en block, but only as needed. After all, the originals are a pretty good way to archivally store images.
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 20/01/2007 - 09:15 Link
I've embaked on a similar project with my Minolta Dimage IV, quite pleased with the results although B+W grain seems a lot more noticable especially with Tri-x rated at 1600 ASA. I haven't had any problems with dust fortunately but if you are going to wash your negs then use proper photographic wetting agent (just a few drops) which will break down the surface tension - DO NOT USE DETERGENT - household detergents are full of salts which will harm your film. I was going to archive everything and then realised just how long it would take so I'm now just prevewing each strip and scanning just the negs that are really worthwhile; one of the nice things is discovering pictures that I never printed.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
redlm
Posted 20/01/2007 - 14:55 Link
I too keep the negatives and slides as archives, and only use the scans for prints or sharing in slideshow DVD presentations.

When doing a lot of negatives, try not to get carried away with "maximum quality" settings, especially if you aren't printing. I used ICE on some really dirty stuff, but as has been noted it really knocks down the speed. I've seen other types of dust-removal software make weird artifacts and blurs. I end up happiest with a quick scrub.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.