detachable camera strap for k5?

scarr1

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 01:34
Hi all, im after a strap, but please read on....

i have x2 k5 bodies, one of which has a pentax neoprene neck strap attached (bought from a recommendation on here). This is my primary use camera, and will have the pentax 18-135mm on nearly all the time.

On the second body (bought from a forum member) i was swapping between the pentax HD DA 55-300WR, and the 100mm WR macro, using the supplied bog standard pentax strap.

I have recently purchased a sigma 150-500 from a forum member (this forum seriously dents your wallet!), and have attached an over the shoulder, sling type strap to the lens tripod mount which i will just leave on there. It means i can leave it dangling at my side, and the lens is taking the weight rather than the camera.

Problem is now, that when i do swap to the 150-500, there is an unwanted strap dangling/flapping about.

So, what im after is a strap which i can quickly attach/detach to the k5 strap mounts, when im NOT using the 150-500.

I dont mind if there is a couple of short lengths of strap left dangling from the strap mounts, but was thinking something like a carabiner style attachment that i could attach/detach when required.

Any ideas, or recommendations would be really appreciated.

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 03:13
For most any Pentax camera body; Tamrac makes quite a variety of quick release camera straps

gartmore

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 08:02
The Peak Design Leash is easily the best strap I have ever used link simple, effective and versatile
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 08:27
For my DSLR I use a Kata strap. The model I have seems to have been discontinued but this one is very similar:

http://www.kata-bags.com/camera-strap-pl-camera-strap

Mine is extremely comfortable and well made. The neoprene part can be removed to save space or to get it out of the way. The clips can be used to attach the camera to the straps of a compatible backpack so that the weight is on your shoulders instead of neck (which is great). The clips are proper, strong ones, not the tiny, flimsy ones you find on the vast majority of detachable camera straps.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 08:35
For comfort and ease of access I've moved over to the Optech Utility strap (http://www.johnlewis.com/optech-utility-camera-strap/p559346), and after several months of use I can honestly say it's far better than the supplied straps. I did have reservations over the quick release mechanism, but it does feel quite "positive" and can be a real benefit to get the camera from around your neck quickly Additionally it has 2 connectors on the main strap (1 male to female and 1 female to male), which means you can have the small connectors attached to 2 different cameras and then quickly attach them to the strap as and when you decide ?

Not sure I've explained that very well, but in short you only need the one strap to service 2 cameras
LennyBloke

Darkmunk

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 09:28
Optech strap looks the best value.
Does this sling preclude the use of a rucksack?
Does it come with enough straps for two cameras?
Would you hang a 645 on it?
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 09:41
Darkmunk wrote:

It's better used across your body than over the shoulder, so shouldn't be an issue with a rucksack.

It has two individual connectors (1 male & 1 female) - so you would need to fit the opposing connectors to your 2 camera bodies then each will fit the specific connector.

I probably wouldn't hang a 645 on it, I've never trusted this type of connector fully - but it's something I'm learning to get over

I do like the fact that I have one strap that accommodates either the K5iiS or the K3 (or both if you really want) - it makes things a lot simpler
LennyBloke

JohnX

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 10:02
There are a number of choices in the OpTech system.

It's worth a look on their site.

One variant I use is a sling arrangement with the camera attached by one strap that runs up the sling as you lift the camera to your eye, so no need to release it.

OpTech are not the only game in town, but I've found them very good.
Last Edited by JohnX on 02/02/2015 - 10:04

andy_bell

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 12:31
Try an Op-tech Classic Pro with extension straps, you'll be able to quickly unclip right by the camera.
All you need to do is put the first quick release fastener as close to the camera as possible, I find @3" is about right.
I'll try to put up some pics later......
A few bits & Bobs

spinno

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 14:02
+1 for OP-tech
David

Darkmunk

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 14:31
Oh no, you've opened another can of worms! Sorry to broaden this out but I can't for the life of me decide on a system. The Optech still looks great, but for me I need a wedding/events solution for two cameras and maybe a bag too! I keep coming back to the Black Rapid, but 90 quid! I guess I could trial a £10 Chinese copy and see how that feels. But I'm also thinking - shoulder bag/sling? arhgggg.

For the OP it does look like either of the Optech designs would work.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer
Last Edited by Darkmunk on 02/02/2015 - 14:31

johnha

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 21:05
I bought an OPTEC strap with 'Pro B' ends for my 6x7 because I hadn't found 'proper' 6x7 strap lugs at the time. The first thing I did was tie-wrap the two halves of each plastic 'snap buckle' together for safety. I didn't trust them if the camera snatched them if I dropped it. I have a 6x7 & 67, I now use two straps on one body and one strap with two pairs of 6x7 strap lugs on the other (over cautious perhaps - well you get four strap lug mounting points so why not).
PPG Flickr

aliengrove

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 22:53
+1 for the Optech straps, I also have a wrist strap which clips in in place of the sling strap and which I use a lot.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

drofmit

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 23:21
This is a very useful set of answers for me also...
I have been looking for a similar setup myself....
having got my straps tangled more than once...
and narrowly missing dropping the unheld camera on the other strap....
onto our exceedingly unforgiving tiled floor!!

Here in France, I can't seem to get the Optec items at a reasonable price...
usually around 15 to 20 quid more here once the conversion into £Sterling value has been calculated...
so I will probably buy from the UK and get my bro' to forward the parcel.

My Pentax Papilio binos have a superb, and very positive, clip in - clip out connector built in at each side...
now, why can't Pentax bring out the same clip system as a fix-to-camera / fix to strap post purchase accessory.
Never be afraid to talk about your techniques...
"Give a thousand photographers...
the same camera, lens and scene...
and you'll always get a thousand different takes!!"
Anon.

K10D

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 23:58
Darkmunk wrote:

If I'm using the Z and 645N II together, I still use my Sunsniper dual harness. No worries about hanging them on it. The ball bearing couplings are superb.

Best regards
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.