Decision made about Pentax FA* 300mm f2.8

genesisphil

Link Posted 24/02/2012 - 11:20
Hi folks

I've done some thinking and in the absence of any offers, or great interest, in the classified ad I placed concerning selling this lens, I have decided to withdraw it from sale and keep it. I just need now to re-motivate myself to get out and use it more often. Also with the 560mm f5.6 on the horizon and my tendency to do daft things and buy one when available, even if I cannot afford to, best for me to just look upon my 300mm as a 420mm f4 when used with my 1.4x converter, which is close enough for me! In these times of austerity wherein I could have used the cash from the sale, I will just have to tighten my belt for longer and be thankful I have such a great lens in my collection.
Thanks to those who gave me advice and suggestions regarding the proposed sale.

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/02/2012 - 11:29
genesisphil wrote:
Also with the 560mm f5.6 on the horizon and my tendency to do daft things and buy one when available, even if I cannot afford to, best for me to just look upon my 300mm as a 420mm f4 when used with my 1.4x converter, which is close enough for me!

This was the main reason I withdrew my A* 300mm f2.8 ( despite having a buyer ). I use it with the Pentax AF 1.7x converter and it gives great results.

I was playing with it this morning and put on the 1.4x-L and 1.7x converters which gave me 700mm and I think with some decent light the results could be pretty good.
. My Flickr

genesisphil

Link Posted 24/02/2012 - 11:51
Cheers Mike.I used to have the Pentax AF 1.7x converter too that I used with a Sigma 500mm f4.5. I found it didn't perform too well with the 1.7x on and instead tended to use the 1.4x most of the time. Sold both the Sigma lens and the 1.7x a few years back before I got the 300mm, as I only really used the big Sigma in the garden for bird photography on a Manfrotto 055 tripod with a Kirk King Cobra head (too much to carry out anywhere when restricted to a motorcycle!!). Wish I had kept the 1.7x now, but hey that's always the way it goes and I reckon that if I sell the 300mm I will only regret it later. With the 300mm easily hand held in many cases when using my K5 or K20d with their shake reduction features, I really should be able to get out and about more and use the lens like it deserves to be and not sat at home in its case! Roll on good weather for biking.

gouejp

Link Posted 11/11/2012 - 13:39
Hi genesisphil

I would be interested by your FA*300 if you still have it; I'm new on this forum so I can't send you private message.
I'm very motivated as I already have a FA*600 and want a shorter, faster lens to use handheld with a possible 1,4 x converter.
I live in france but if needed I can travel to UK to get the lens.
Cheers
JP Goube (email to jean-philippe.goube at wanadoo.fr)
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 11/11/2012 - 15:30

giofi

Link Posted 11/11/2012 - 14:16
genesisphil wrote:
Hi folks

I've done some thinking and in the absence of any offers, or great interest, in the classified ad I placed concerning selling this lens, I have decided to withdraw it from sale and keep it. I just need now to re-motivate myself to get out and use it more often. Also with the 560mm f5.6 on the horizon and my tendency to do daft things and buy one when available, even if I cannot afford to, best for me to just look upon my 300mm as a 420mm f4 when used with my 1.4x converter, which is close enough for me! In these times of austerity wherein I could have used the cash from the sale, I will just have to tighten my belt for longer and be thankful I have such a great lens in my collection.
Thanks to those who gave me advice and suggestions regarding the proposed sale.

Have you tried the FA* 300 with the 1.7 converter? If the performance is good, it seems as a good alternative to the 560 f.5.6, and much cheaper.

Just curious
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

johnriley

Link Posted 11/11/2012 - 15:31
It's not a great idea to put an e-mail address in a forum, so I've modified it at least, so you don't get spammed.
Best regards, John

genesisphil

Link Posted 12/11/2012 - 09:27
Sorry but the FA*300 is not for sale at the moment. If that changes I will of course first advertise on this forum. No longer have the 1.7x converter Giorgio.

gouejp

Link Posted 28/07/2013 - 22:50
Hi genesisphil

is the FA*300 still not on sale ? I received some amount of money (unfortunately the reason is the death of my father ) and would pretty happy to use it with its bigger brother the FA*600 for birding

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/07/2013 - 23:08
It was sold a while back LINK
. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.