Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Dark screen on trying to review image's. What's this please?

jemx99
Posted 10/08/2016 - 13:29 - Helpful Comment Link
I think you are better off putting some pressure on Castle Cameras if that is were the camera was purchased from. Ask them to put pressure on Pentax to try and get a free repair. Or Pentax direct. If you get no help from either of these then try your local Trading Standards.
AuraTodd
Posted 11/08/2016 - 13:52 Link
Even staff at castle cameras thought Johnsons price was crazy! i got my camera four years ago in December at MRS Microsystems in London.
McGregNi
Posted 11/08/2016 - 14:17 - Helpful Comment Link
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but .... After all we've seen here, the age of the camera, plus the complexities in getting a free fix ....I know it should be fixed for free, but a huge effort I fear.... I'd forget about the K30 now and use it as the opportunity to start fresh with a new camera
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
johnriley
Posted 11/08/2016 - 15:00 - Helpful Comment Link
Did you ever phone SRS as we suggested at the start of this thread?

Apart from a goodwill gesture, it could be difficult to claim a free repair after four years. Manufactured items do fail and it would be up to the buyer to prove there was a fault from the start that has meant an early fail of the item. There's a lot of misleading information on the web and it's often more complex than we think. Is four years a reasonable length of time before experiencing a component failure? How long can we expect to receive an item to receive free repairs?

The two year warranty would have been dealt with via the supplier, SRS in this case, and I wouldn't involve another supplier to complicate the process. The six year life thing is something else. The camera hasn't reached the end of its life, it's had a component fail that can be repaired.

My personal choice would have been to approach SRS first and get the camera assessed. If it's fair wear and tear then maybe we have to bite the bullet and pay, maybe a compromise, maybe a gesture of goodwill, who knows until the process is carried through?
Best regards, John
McGregNi
Posted 11/08/2016 - 15:42 Link
The pushy and highly determined consumer may have a chance of the free fix, but in general no one is going to hand it out willingly. It's going to be a drawn-out difficult process ..... And with no camera in the meantime.

I know there are injustices worth fighting for, but can we all do that, and is it truly worthwhile in this case, and for Louise?

If the repair has to be paid for, it could be around half the value of the camera. I'd be disappointed of course, but that sort of cost to value ratio would tip it for me ..... I'd see it in a positive light, that I'm spending that money on a newer, better camera, rather than just to 'tread water'.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 11/08/2016 - 15:43
Algernon
Posted 11/08/2016 - 17:29 Link
If it's faulty manufacturing they should repair it FREE and without a time limit. Sony repaired a lot of cameras sold by other makes covering a 5 year period, but the 5 year limit was set by Sony themselves. I had a Minolta F300 which was effected, but it still worked so I never sent it back.

See......

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0009843/blogarticle/Weekend-Wrap-Sensor-recall-deadli...

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
McGregNi
Posted 11/08/2016 - 19:28 Link
We can all keep on saying it over and over, and fueling that sense of outrage and consumer entitlement ..... But lets think about the individual and what is the best response overall.

For whatever reason, be it Japanese Corporate culture or business honour, there's no admission of faulty manufacturing and no special extended warranty for the parts involved.

Time to move on to a new camera .... And no one here can blame Louise if she doesn't want another Pentax. However, a newer Pentax model that doesn't have any 'reputation' would always be a good choice because of familiarity and the lenses she already has.
Edited by McGregNi: 11/08/2016 - 19:32
jemx99
Posted 11/08/2016 - 21:52 - Helpful Comment Link
McGregNi wrote:
We can all keep on saying it over and over, and fueling that sense of outrage and consumer entitlement ..... But lets think about the individual and what is the best response overall.

For whatever reason, be it Japanese Corporate culture or business honour, there's no admission of faulty manufacturing and no special extended warranty for the parts involved.

Time to move on to a new camera .... And no one here can blame Louise if she doesn't want another Pentax. However, a newer Pentax model that doesn't have any 'reputation' would always be a good choice because of familiarity and the lenses she already has.

I understand what you are saying Nigel and agree to a point about moving on and getting something new but when a situation means loosing confidence in a manufacturer - would Louise want to buy another Pentax knowing that if the camera ends up having a fault she may not get good service and could end up in the same situation?
richandfleur
Posted 11/08/2016 - 22:32 Link
McGregNi wrote:
a newer Pentax model that doesn't have any 'reputation' would always be a good choice

Not necessarily disagreeing with you Nigel, but would like to point out just a few points...

The first is the obvious, in that one never knows the product is a lemon until years down the track. Everyone loved the K-30 when it came out, but many were subsequently affected when it failed later on. Just because it's newer, doesn't mean Pentax have done anything differently. Their complete lack of public admission or knowledge of the fault is difficult to work with, because you're not really sure if they have resolved the issue or not. That K-70 does look mighty tempting, but...

this leads to the second point, in that it turns out the K-30 didn't use a different design than older Pentax models. And that's a real pain, because it means it was most likely a manufacturing/parts supply issue, rather than a dodgy design that they've subsequently be able to change and improve. I think we're all good now for future cameras personally, and I think we've exhausted the supply of dodgy components, but Pentax have never said so, or recalled those cameras with a serial number that puts them in the zone for having received the faulty parts etc. You just don't know, and that's planted a seed of doubt in those who have been affected. Essentially Pentax will only stand by their gear for just over two years, and that's a mix of pathetic, sad, frustrating etc. It hasn't been handled very well.

I've maintained for a while that Pentax has two APS-C model streams. The lower entry/consumer offering, and the higher spec pro/semi pro/serious enthusiast level. The only way to avoid this specific issue happening again is to move up from the K-30/50/70/S1/S2 range into the K-5/3 etc range which uses a different component to control this area. That said, it's most likely the case that the bad batch of components has been used up now, and new cameras will continue to operate with this same design as they did prior to the k-30/50 debacle. I do sympathise with any owner affected by this condition. They are the budget offerings, and sometimes even that can be a major outlay for some people, depending on your financial situation. Added with the complication of the repair being a sizeable chunk of the outright replacement price.
McGregNi
Posted 12/08/2016 - 09:04 - Helpful Comment Link
It's good to hear that confidence that it's been put behind us now Richard. As I said before its a big disappointment, and I can understand if Louise wanted to walk away from Pentax.

We've all got a different perspective with these things. It depends how far down the line we are with our own particular camera model, as well as how committed and invested into the system we are. For me, well, in terms of reliability, durability and complete satisfaction, then I'm at the opposite end of the scale with my k7 than Louise, with around 50,000 on the clock and going strong. It's lucky, I know ... Hard to say how much it's to do with it being from the different, 'pro-sumer' range.

I do appreciate that if I'd paid the full price around it's release time, then only got 4 years use before an expensive repair, yes, I'd be very .... um, annoyed. But if it was now, with a camera that might only fetch 180 or so pounds, then its time to move onwards and upwards.
Edited by McGregNi: 12/08/2016 - 09:06
johnriley
Posted 12/08/2016 - 09:52 Link
Also bear in mind that all marques have their own quirks and problem models, so the grass is definitely not greener. The last survey I saw showed that Pentax was top of the leaugue for reliability. Reliability is never 100% though.
Best regards, John
richandfleur
Posted 12/08/2016 - 10:38 - Helpful Comment Link
johnriley wrote:
Also bear in mind that all marques have their own quirks and problem models, so the grass is definitely not greener. The last survey I saw showed that Pentax was top of the leaugue for reliability. Reliability is never 100% though.

Fully agree. Bar this issue Pentax has been pretty darn good.

The point here though is these owners feel abandoned by Pentax. The silence has been defening as such. No point in having a rugged weather sealed camera rated at 100,000 actuation etc if it's going to seriously fail within 2 1/2 years.

All companies have issues over time, and the response speaks volumes about the companies commitment and attitude.

Personally I find it pretty darn rude and feel it in other ways also, such as a lack of any feature enhancements via free firmware updates years later etc. That's another story really, but it's a question worth asking. Does Pentax value your commitment to their brand? Will they stand by you?
Algernon
Posted 12/08/2016 - 11:40 Link
I was horrified to hear that Nikon only produced spare parts for their film cameras for 10 years after the end of production (film era).

So 10 years is the expected life of a film camera according to Nikon. I would expect the same from a Pentax digital. Earlier failure with moderate use is unacceptable.

Really talented photographers just see their cameras as a tool and aren't too bothered about having the latest gimmicks

This lady just uses a K-30 and puts most other people with all the latest stuff to shame......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aravis121/with/22995185502/

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
McGregNi
Posted 12/08/2016 - 16:06 Link
10 years is a much longer time in the digital/electronic/computerised product age. My K7 is a model that's been around for about 7 years, and it has long been regarded as a bit of a dinosaur, judging from many comments from people here over the years.

The actual physical bodies I suppose should last easily a long time .... But the inside components? I guess you're right Algi, that it should be based around amount of use, not time. But is there some natural decay of electronics over time anyway?

In any case, it's the onwards march of technology, and the ever increasing performance at lower prices, that renders our cameras psychologically obsolete over time .... I'd say for us this is normally around a 4-5 yearly cycle.
Edited by McGregNi: 12/08/2016 - 16:09
JohnX
Posted 12/08/2016 - 16:43 Link
When Photography Blog reviewed the K30 back in 2012 they stated that the shutter was designed for 100k releases.

Now, if that's the case, and in fairness I have no idea of their source, it would seem more than reasonable that the rest of the components were designed to support that target, regardless of how old the body is.

Yes, components fail, but there's a trend, pattern, call it what you will, that suggests that certain of the parts in the K30 (and other mid-range Pentax bodies), are not up to par, as you would reasonably expect 'normal' wear and tear failures to only start as you approach that 100k shutter actuation point?
Edited by JohnX: 12/08/2016 - 16:45

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.