Dark screen on trying to review image's. What's this please?

AuraTodd

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 16:59
I have a problem on my K30 which is three years old. i bought it from MRS Microsystems and it was fine up until I took it on holiday. I take a picture and on reviewing it the screen was black, I upped the iso and still black. Changed cards and lenses, still black, Luckily I had a compact, but it's not like my Pentax,

have googled it and found it is a well known problem with the K30's to do with the aparture? I have lost faith in Pentax a bit as I'm strapped for cash and I need my camera, now that seems to have forcibly taken from me.

Can anyone advise me on this please? Thanks.
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link
Last Edited by AuraTodd on 17/07/2016 - 17:00

malcombe

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 17:19
If you have gone through all the usual common problems,
battery;
missing card;
card not formatted in that particular camera;

Try contacting SRS Microsystems-if, as you say there is a common problem with the K30's, I am confident they have heard of it and would either advise on how to rectify, who to send it to, etc.

If you were to defect to another manufacturer you may experience a totally different problem. All the others probably have their own problems too.

Give SRS Microsystems a call on Monday morning and you're on the road to sorting it.

Best Regards
Malcombe.

Helpful

AuraTodd

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 17:35
Thanks, this is very worrying for me as I have a few opportunities coming up.
Always be kind to people

link

link

richandfleur

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 17:51
Do you have any lenses with a manual aperture ring? For many this often means do you have any older manual focus film era lenses?

If so you can manually fix the aperture where you want it to be, and thus remove this task from the camera.

Alternatively, try shooting at a high f value, such as f22. This will mean the camera meters around where the lens is now fixed.

If this has only just happened there are smoke oil type solutions that may work temporarily, such as firing off several shots in hi speed burst mode, or using an AA adapter to power the camera.

I'm seeing lots of these occurring now. If you are out of warranty then ultimately you face the decision of paying for a costly repair or replacing the camera. Personally I think they are not fit for purpose if they fail so early on, but Pentax never issued a full recall on these to fix them.

Good luck!

Helpful

AuraTodd

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 18:01
Quote:
Do you have any lenses with a manual aperture ring?

No, all auto

Quote:
Alternatively, try shooting at a high f value, such as f22.

Tried it higher then that , still had the same problem.

Quote:
I'm seeing lots of these occurring now. If you are out of warranty then ultimately you face the decision of paying for a costly repair

With the same model? if I knew that, then I wouldn't have got it in the first place. That's what I'm worried about a 'costly' repair.

Quote:
Personally I think they are not fit for purpose if they fail so early on, but Pentax never issued a full recall on these to fix them.

Agreed, but they are still churning them out.
Always be kind to people

link

link

johnriley

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 18:16
First things first. If you phone SRS and explain your problem they will advise how to proceed. If the camera has to go for a quote for repair there's no avoiding it. Manufactured items do fail, regardless of the reasons, and it's very inconvenient when they do. However, cameras fail perhaps less often that most things.

Until you get a quote you won't know if the repair will be costly or not, so first things first?
Best regards, John

Helpful

AuraTodd

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 18:18
OK I'll see if their numbers is on the website
Always be kind to people

link

link

malcombe

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 18:24
Hi again,

SRS 01923 226602. Best of luck.

Best Regards
Malcombe

Helpful

AuraTodd

Link Posted 17/07/2016 - 18:31

AuraTodd

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 17:57
UPDATE ON CAMERA.

I've been quoted as 220 by Johnsons to fix the issue, it was a problem with the shutter. A problem which is well known by Pentax, but they don't do anything about it and keep churning them out.

So I might have to start again, who knows. This is a shame because pentax are good
Always be kind to people

link

link

JohnX

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 21:53
If this were me I'd be suing Pentax without hesitation. Speak to Consumer Advice.

This is clearly an inherent problem and as such is nothing to do with you or how you use the camera. There is plenty of evidence here and on other Forums that it is affecting a lot of users. As such, Pentax should be liable. Don't be fobbed off. You should expect 6 years life from your camera.

CA will be able to guide you through making a claim against Pentax via the Small Claims process for the cost of the repair.
Last Edited by JohnX on 08/08/2016 - 21:59

Helpful

jemx99

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 23:41
JohnX wrote:
If this were me I'd be suing Pentax without hesitation. Speak to Consumer Advice.

This is clearly an inherent problem and as such is nothing to do with you or how you use the camera. There is plenty of evidence here and on other Forums that it is affecting a lot of users. As such, Pentax should be liable. Don't be fobbed off. You should expect 6 years life from your camera.

CA will be able to guide you through making a claim against Pentax via the Small Claims process for the cost of the repair.

+1
Pentax need to accept blame for this problem. Possibly a letter first to Pentax may get a result but if not I think John is right.
Last Edited by jemx99 on 08/08/2016 - 23:42

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 00:16
I'm seeing confusion here. Are we talking about the reported aperture motor problem, or a shutter problem? These are two different things.
Best regards, John

AuraTodd

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 21:59
Quote:

I think a group of us with the same or similar fault on the camera, should get together. They won't listen to one person, have Googled the problem and it seems to be happening a lot with many landing up on Ebay for parts. I think with the right support I (we) could drum something up.

What do you say?
Always be kind to people

link

link

AuraTodd

Link Posted 10/08/2016 - 09:51
Would anyone be willing to contact Rip off Britain website about the Pentax problem?

link
Always be kind to people

link

link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.