Damn you SDM

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 03/06/2016 - 16:22
In Holland for a car meeting (NSU - proper TT/TTSs - not the hairdresser models) and was going to go round with my K-3 and DA*16-50 - no AF - zilch, nothing, even a twiddle on the screw drive made no difference, lens AF'd fine on the Z-1..

Last repair cost me 180, and I thought I had the latest motor fitted which worked quite well.

Obviously very unhappy about the prospect of having to pay for another repair, so I might to get them on the 6-year trading standards (last repair was 3-4 years ago). Contemplated just getting another lens in that range to use but I don't want a lens lying around without any intention of using it, a S/H 16-50 I couldn't consider because.................

Anyone else who's had a refitted motor fail recently with any tips?

Has meant the 60-250 is in constant use - still an amazingly versatile lens

Thanks
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

gtis

Link Posted 03/06/2016 - 17:47
Why not covert it to screw drive plenty of hacks on the internet
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

malcolmk

Link Posted 03/06/2016 - 17:57
ilovesaabs wrote:
Anyone else who's had a refitted motor fail recently with any tips?

I had a 16-50 fail twice within the warranty period. Came to an arrangement with SRS and now use a 24-70 on a K1. Big improvement in IQ.

Daronl

Link Posted 03/06/2016 - 21:57
Just had 4 SDMs changed, none had failed but the opportunity to get the latest fitted at a price which is 50% of JP was too much to resist.

Each Lens had an SDM CHANGE WITH 6 months unconditional gauarantee

The lenses were tested over a 1 week proving period before being shipped.

If you are interested contact Pramath at:

ASAHI OPTIC

6 Albany Parade, High Street, TW8 0JW Brentford

Email: sales@brentfordrc.com

CONTACT NAME; PRAMATH 02082328111 - 02085606856

Regards
Daronl

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 07/06/2016 - 00:03
I know them very well Daron... I'll get in touch with Pramath, obviously he's moved onto newer tech...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 12:02
Lens dropped in this morning. I've dealt with Pramath before and glad that he is now trained on some of the newer stuff...super guy

He had a batch of lenses requiring new motors, and is expecting a delivery of new ones from Pentax... 130 is the cost - I factored this against the depreciation caused by the hack and even if it does cost me money now I am more satisfied with a lens functioning as intended.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 19:22
Replacements for the DA* lenses are long, long overdue.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 11:50
SDM failure is not just isolated to the DA* lenses, I looked at a 17-70 as a back up while my 16-50 was at JPSS.

Was about to hand over the plastic at Richmond Jessops (Jessops Mk1) and I asked to try the lens... nothing...and it was a display model....
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.