DA-L 35mm f2.4 announced

K10D

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 15:27
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
"So a full plastic 35/2.4 is available at Nikkor 35/1.8 price?"

The SRS price for the Nikon is 165, and we can expect that will be a plastic lens as well.

The Pentax we have no final street price, no tests and so we don't know what is special about it, if anything. Except that it fits our cameras and the Nikon doesn't....

Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a judgement when we know something?

It is a metal mount with SWM AF
link

Regards

johnriley

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 15:51
Still plastic construction, but yes, a metal mount.
Best regards, John

rparmar

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 17:40
Algernon wrote:
You have to go back to 1957 for the last time that Pentax sold a standard lens that had a poor f/2.4 as it's widest aperture. It was the first 58mm lens for the newly designed Asahiflex link

And what was the standard ISO in 1957? 100? 200? 400? I realise that higher ISO and SR are no substitute for thinner DOF, but this isn't exactly a portrait lens we're talking about here. Overall we are much further ahead in terms of what we can do with f/2.4. Not to mention the lenses are better now: sharper, with more micro-contrast, greater resolving power, more flare resistance etc.

The new Leica X1 has a standard lens of f/2.8 and that doesn't seem to upset too many people.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Algernon

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 19:01
What about viewfinders, is the X-r super-bright

Has the Leica X1 even got a viewfinder?

I forgot Practica's used to come with an f/2.8 50mm standard lens the Domiplan (Gareths got one ) Nice one here on ebay camera and lens for 50p. Seem to remember that they had an f/2.4 standard as well?

Ricoh's used to have an f/2.2 standard 50mm.

What about the prestige value of having a f/1.2 , f/1.4 , f/1.7 standard lens? Pentax haven't got any of them in a 35mm standard.

35mm x 1.5 = 52.5mm which is actually what most 50mm standard lenses were. 50mm being the nearest nominal figure.

Sony also have a 35mm f/1.8 at 154 link and it has a distance scale.

Depending on price and manufacturing quality the Pentax might be worthwhile, but if the performance isn't good it could damage their reputation considerably, especially when it filters through to buyers that 35mm is the Standard lens for digital.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

flat4

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 19:58
I've tried quite a few plastic mount lenses and wasn't bothered with it. If the IQ is good it could be wooden for what I care
Link to my PPG

rparmar

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 21:54
rparmar wrote:
The new Leica X1 has a standard lens of f/2.8 and that doesn't seem to upset too many people.

Er, actually it does upset quite a few people. But others seem to pay the extortionate price and just get on with taking pictures.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 22:29
What we have to remember here is that Pentax are releasing a cheap, for them, prime that should/could encourage more new and existing users to try primes.

Is it not a good idea to encourage experimentation?

Hopefully Pentax will expand the affordable plastic fantastic range with 28, 50, 135, and other focal lengths.

Until we see images taken with the lens we shouldn't condemn it for it's construction.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Algernon

Link Posted 12/09/2010 - 09:36
Hardgravity wrote:

Hopefully Pentax will expand the affordable plastic fantastic range with 28, 50, 135, and other focal lengths.

You mean move down market...... into the area vacated by
Practica, Zenith, Chinon etc. Seem to remember they tried that once with the cheap Takumars and it wasn't very successful and a wrong move.

I hope selling cameras with a 35mm standard lens doesn't catch on.
It could be a bit embarrassing for Pentax if a customer goes in a shop looking at say 3 cameras with 35mm standard lenses and asks.... Why is the viewfinder dimmer on the Pentax? and the salesman answers "It's because the Pentax lens only lets half the amount of light through that the others do. They have f/1.7 or f/1.8 lenses".

It's unlikely that as a kit this will sell much anyway. Pentax kits of the past always had the 50mm f/1.7 option and we all know how rare the F or FA 50mm f/1.7's are and how many 35-70 or 28-80 lenses are kicking about due to people preferring a kit with a zoom rather than standard lens. The price of the F 50mm f/1.7 in the 90's was cheap at about 62 when not bought with a kit, so quite a few would have been sold that way, but it can't have been very successful because Pentax discontinued it and just kept the 50mm f/1.4 which was nearly twice the price and not sold as part of a kit.

Algi

rparmar

Link Posted 12/09/2010 - 14:58
Algernon wrote:
It could be a bit embarrassing for Pentax if a customer goes in a shop looking at say 3 cameras with 35mm standard lenses and asks.... Why is the viewfinder dimmer on the Pentax? and the salesman answers "It's because the Pentax lens only lets half the amount of light through that the others do. They have f/1.7 or f/1.8 lenses".

This is unlikely to happen for many reasons.

1. Pentax are unfortunately not going to have the gumption to sell a camera with a fixed 35mm outside Japan. I have confirmed this for the USA and UK -- likely the rest of the world follows suit.

2. Other brands are most certainly not going to do so.

3. The viewfinder will not show a difference between these apertures, since most (all?) stop at a certain, um, stop.

4. A salesperson is never going to be that knowledgeable.

Algernon

Link Posted 12/09/2010 - 15:17
1. So all this fuss is over nothing
9 wasted pages on this forum alone.

2. You could buy Nikon, Sony and possibly Canon (not checked)
as separates (body + 35mm f/1.8 ) tomorrow if you wanted.
Cheap as well

3. Difference f/2.4 to f/1.7 = 2.4/1.7 = 1.412
1.414 is a FULL STOP which is half as bright

4. Nikon, Sony and possibly Canon will soon brief him as will anybody doing a review

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 12/09/2010 - 15:19

rparmar

Link Posted 12/09/2010 - 17:48
No, the fuss is not over nothing, exactly. This is the cheapest prime Pentax has in its catalogue and will be available to those who could not afford something else.

And f/2.4 is not slow. It's faster than all the DA Limiteds. It's faster than all the classic manual Pentax lenses in this focal length. If you want to buy Nikon, go ahead. You gain a stop but lose image stabilisation and will be paying a lot more for a comparable body. One stop difference in this focal length does not ruin my day.

I recommend the DA35 Macro Limited as a completely brilliant optic, and it is even slower. But so what? It has lovely bokeh, is usable from wide open and has incredible micro contrast. I think I might have to spend two grand on a Canikon lens to get something similar.

I am disappointed that Pentax is not making this the kit lens outside Japan. They have lost the chance to make a bold statement. But I will wait to see shots and tests before dismissing the lens. In fact I rather expect it will kick butt.

johnriley

Link Posted 12/09/2010 - 18:26
It may well apperar here yet, but maybe Pentax are trying it out in Japan first?
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 12/09/2010 - 18:27
Algernon wrote:
1. So all this fuss is over nothing
9 wasted pages on this forum alone.

2. You could buy Nikon, Sony and possibly Canon (not checked)
as separates (body + 35mm f/1.8 ) tomorrow if you wanted.
Cheap as well

3. Difference f/2.4 to f/1.7 = 2.4/1.7 = 1.412
1.414 is a FULL STOP which is half as bright

4. Nikon, Sony and possibly Canon will soon brief him as will anybody doing a review

the only Nikon lens I'm aware of that is 35mm and has vr (stabilized) is 16-35 vr and it is f4 and costs way more..

canon has nothing is for 35mm primes so again you're looking at slower or expensive zooms...

you got to remember to factor in image stabilized lenses when comparing anything to Pentax...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Algernon

Link Posted 12/09/2010 - 18:34
There's no point in discussing a lens that's only available in Japan
I'm certainly not emigrating

Canon have a cheap 250 ish f/2.0 and a 1,000 ish L 35mm f/1.4

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 12/09/2010 - 18:37

Don

Link Posted 12/09/2010 - 18:41
Algernon wrote:
There's no point in discussing a lens that's only available in Japan
I'm certainly not emigrating

Canon have a cheap 250 ish f/2.0 and a 1,000 ish L 35mm f/1.4

If people want it, it will be released...
the 645d is going to be released outside Japan..

there would be little point releasing world wide if they can't meet demands.. and little point in mass producing it only to find out there is no demand...

reading this thread tells me Pentax is making a sound business decision by dipping a toe in, to check the temp, before jumping into the pool...

and I'm thinking there will be black lenses, if not colors available outside japan soon enough...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 12/09/2010 - 18:42
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.