DA-L 35mm f2.4 announced

Hardgravity

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 09:15
So the actual street price could well be below the 140 mark as the 18-55WR is LINK.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

rparmar

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 12:54
If the DA L 35/2.4 comes bundled with the K-r as a kit in the UK (as it does in Japan) then no doubt it will work out cheaper than list price, especially as prices become more competitive some months down the line. In that eventuality, this will be the cheapest Pentax prime ever.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

K10D

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 13:05
K10D wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:
I don't really see what that blog's point is about it being similar to the 35mm f2. That's a very well-regarded lens, and Pentax are offering what APS-C cameras need here - a cheap, standard focal length prime. I don't think any of the competitors offer such a thing?

So is this link not a similar price and focal length?

Agreed it is SWM AF and metal mount but hey, what do you want for a hundred and sixty seven quid?

link

Regards

Just reading this. Apologies to 'Dangermouse" if this was taken as comments directly to you. It was not, but it reads as if it were.

Not so sir. Its at Pentax.

Regards
Last Edited by K10D on 11/09/2010 - 13:07

Algernon

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 13:39
What everyone seems to be missing about this lens is that 35mm is the STANDARD LENS for Pentax digital just as 50/55mm was the standard for 35mm cameras.

You have to go back to 1957 for the last time that Pentax sold a standard lens that had a poor f/2.4 as it's widest aperture. It was the first 58mm lens for the newly designed Asahiflex link It was replaced 3 years later with an f/2.2 design. Other manufacturers rarely produced anything smaller than f/2.2 as their standard lens. So why they have produced this is baffling?

Hopefully it will perform better than what the f/2.4 part of the design brief seems to indicate.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

johnriley

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 13:57
There's nothing intrisically poor or otherwise in a given maximum aperture. It's just the speed of the lens and it could be a very high quality lens.

These days most lenses are zooms and even a modest 2.8 is considered "fast" so now f2.4 might be considered a fast lens by many photographers.

It's another option and it's to the credit of Pentax that they provide lots of interesting lenses that are not covered by any other marque.
Best regards, John

Algernon

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 14:14
I'm giving this one a miss..... I'll wait until they bring out
a 35mm f/6.3 with just 2 elements

Algi

RR

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 14:21
Algernon wrote:
What everyone seems to be missing about this lens is that 35mm is the STANDARD LENS for Pentax digital just as 50/55mm was the standard for 35mm cameras.

You have to go back to 1957 for the last time that Pentax sold a standard lens that had a poor f/2.4 as it's widest aperture. It was the first 58mm lens for the newly designed Asahiflex link It was replaced 3 years later with an f/2.2 design. Other manufacturers rarely produced anything smaller than f/2.2 as their standard lens. So why they have produced this is baffling?

Hopefully it will perform better than what the f/2.4 part of the design brief seems to indicate.

One fundamental argument is that now you can push the iso up at will, rather than be stuck with 200 asa film at dusk so needing that extra light gathering ability of the larger aperture lens.

Depth of field & subject isolation aside, having such a fast lens isn't AS important as it used to be.
My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 14:22
There's an 85mm f2.2 with 2 elements if that helps! In fact, someone in the back pages of AP has been trying to sell one for a while, for around 350 I think.
Best regards, John

K10D

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 14:23
johnriley wrote:
There's nothing intrisically poor or otherwise in a given maximum aperture. It's just the speed of the lens and it could be a very high quality lens.

These days most lenses are zooms and even a modest 2.8 is considered "fast" so now f2.4 might be considered a fast lens by many photographers.

It's another option and it's to the credit of Pentax that they provide lots of interesting lenses that are not covered by any other marque.

Bottom line, the above is correct.

Although with a different system, I consider my f/2.8 zooms to be the mutts nuts.

Lotsa money, but slower than f/2.4!

Regards

Algernon

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 14:50
Ricehigh has shown the optical formula and size of this lens and the Old FA 35/2 AL and they look identical, so it should perform OK which leaves the problem of price?

Someone on the other forum has started a thread titled:
"So a full plastic 35/2.4 is available at Nikkor 35/1.8 price?"
which just about sums it up

Hoya should have released this lens for testing before announcing it. They are just getting a lot of bad publicity the way they have done it and if they have just put baffles in the f/2.0 why didn't they make it f/2.2 or f/2.3?

Algi

Don

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 15:04
I think having a prime kit lens equates to reviewers publishing favorable reviews if the kit prime outresolves the competitors kit zooms... which it will....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

K10D

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 15:08
Lets wait till it's on sale, try it, and then comment/keep/sell?

JonSchick

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 15:11
Not sure I understand why people are so determined to have this lens faster than f2.4.

Yes, I know the VF will be brighter and you can reduce the ISO/increase the shutter speed. But this is not a focal length where you're going to expect miracles with bokeh (at least not at this price - you need to think FA 31 Ltd for that) and as a standard walkaround lens it's more likely to be used mostly around f4-11 in any case.

Remember - the f3.5 versions of the old 28mm SMCM and K lenses were considered to be better performers than their f2.8 counterparts. It's possible that Pentax might know what they are doing here....

If this lens comfortably outperforms the 18-55 (and it should, at least in terms of purple fringing if nothing else) then it shouldn't do Pentax any harm.

johnriley

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 15:18
Quote:
"So a full plastic 35/2.4 is available at Nikkor 35/1.8 price?"

The SRS price for the Nikon is 165, and we can expect that will be a plastic lens as well.

The Pentax we have no final street price, no tests and so we don't know what is special about it, if anything. Except that it fits our cameras and the Nikon doesn't....

Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a judgement when we know something?
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 11/09/2010 - 15:26
a faster lens was favorable in the film days.
a 400 speed film was as fast as you could get decent quality from, any faster and the resolving power of the film was less than the lens so wide open fast apertures were both needed and aceptable...even if they performed poorer wide open..

now we lose a little lens speed wide open and gained huge quality advantages in iso, AND shutter speed (with sr)..

it is like losing a dime in one hand and getting dollar in the other...

this lens is small and light and well matched to the cameras it is intended for.. as a kit lens..
those that want more, spend the money for the 35 macro or buy a ltd prime...
those that are gonna buy the kit lens, not knowing much about photography, are gonna be amazed by this lens...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 11/09/2010 - 15:27
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.