DA-L 35mm f2.4 announced

Hardgravity

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 09:32
Welcome back to the fold robbie_d.

Thought I'd get that in before you return just in case.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

snappychappy

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 09:34
Looking forward to reviews of this, definitely on the xmas list.
My piccies.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 09:41
Well, after some negotiations...

My birthday is in late November. Guess what I'm having!

I am however torn between the black and silver versions. Assuming the silver finish is halfway decent could it look a bit like an FA Ltd, plus the black looks a bit uninspiring even though it'd match my K-m and fit with my usual attempt to make an unobtrusive camera which doesn't scream "steal me". Thoughts?
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

robbie_d

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 09:51
gartmore wrote:
£179 apparently just a shame it has a plastic mount though.

To be honest Ken, the plastic mounts I've had on the DA-L lenses in the past (18-55mm & 50-200mm) and the mounts were far more robust than I imagined they would be. Never had an issue with them.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 09:57
Just a thought, is this the first in a 'budget' range of primes?

If so I look forward to a 50mm f1.7 at the same price point, a 300mm f3.5 at a little more...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

gartmore

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 10:00
robbie_d wrote:
gartmore wrote:
£179 apparently just a shame it has a plastic mount though.

To be honest Ken, the plastic mounts I've had on the DA-L lenses in the past (18-55mm & 50-200mm) and the mounts were far more robust than I imagined they would be. Never had an issue with them.

Thats good to hear. I have some other Pentax kit where metal mates with plastic and now after, albeit, many years of use the plastic is showing very noticeable signs of wear.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 10:06
I think it's more of a response to the CaNikSon cheap 50mm primes. I don't find 50mm hugely useful on APS-C, it's a bit too long for a general purpose walkabout lens which is why I'm always bemused by the mad rush for 50mm primes.

35mm will be a lot handier, considering that I currently use either a K 28mm or an F 35-70mm for the same purpose.

Interestingly while it's billed as a DA L on the site the photos show it marked "DA 35mm" without the L. Unless "AL" actually means Aspherical Light rather than Aspherical Lens?

As for the wear rates, look at it this way. If it lasts ten years then it has cost you £15-£18/yr. I suspect that it will have been replaced by a new desirable focal length for a different design of camera by then!

I've seen a few complaints about it being "slow". To be honest I'm not overly worried - remember how the 28mm f3.5s are a lot better than the f2.8 versions? As the saying goes, you can pick any two of fast, cheap, good. I'd rather have an f2.4 which is sharp wide open than an f1.8 which has to be stopped down to the same aperture to get decent results!
Matt

Last Edited by Dangermouse on 09/09/2010 - 10:23

WobblyGoblin

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 10:12
I'm slightly disappointed in the plastic mount and the aperture not being at least f2. However, as I wasn't expecting any new lenses soon it would seem like good news to me!

I guess we just have to see how it performs. I understand that the plastic mounts are actually pretty hard-wearing. If it performs brilliantly at f2.4 then it may become a no-brainer.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 10:53
Quickshift, hood?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 11:01
No hood included but it seems to take the clip on rectangular one or the round rubber one
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 09/09/2010 - 11:02

gartmore

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 11:22
I've just noticed it doesn't have a focus scale.
Ken

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 11:22
I foresee a cheap 3rd party copy of the clip on rectangular hood appearing shortly after the lens does, if the existing DA-L range is anything to go by.
Matt

Last Edited by Dangermouse on 09/09/2010 - 11:25

robbie_d

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 11:44
gartmore wrote:
I've just noticed it doesn't have a focus scale.

My take on this (as with the comment about it not being marked up as a DA-L but rather a DA) is that the pictures they've released aren't of the final product.

Thinking about it though, I'm not sure the existing DA-L lenses have a focus scale either...
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 12:08
The 18-55mm DA L definitely doesn't have one.
Matt

MrCynical

Link Posted 09/09/2010 - 14:04
f2.4 isn't particularly fast, especially at 35mm. Still, a slowish cheap prime is better than having no cheap prime at all, and if it's sharp (and as good looking as that preview shot) then who cares about being a stop slower than others' cheap 35mms?

Not sure what Pentax's marketing department is playing at though. They now have two completely different lenses called the "DA35 L", nice consistent message there *facepalm*

It might not be lightning fast, but I'm interested enough in this to be hesitant about ordering a DA35 Limited. Anyone know when it'll be out/available for reviews?
Last Edited by MrCynical on 09/09/2010 - 14:09
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.