DA* lenses - any good on K1 ?

deck_chair_dave

Link Posted 26/07/2017 - 11:09
Hi Folks!
Has anyone had experience of using DA* lenses with a K1 ?

I have a DA* 16-50mm and DA* 50-135mm which Iíve been using on a K10D.
Iím thinking of upgrading to either a K3 or a K1.

I know the DA* lenses are designed for use with the APS-C sized sensor used in both the K10D and the K3.
Are there any issues using these lenses with the K1s full-frame sensor ?

Best Regards to all..

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/07/2017 - 11:17
Hi Dave

You will get some vignetting (darkening of the edge of the frame) and possibly some softness towards the edges. The 16-50 will suffer most as its ability to cover the sensor is compromised at the wider settings.

But you can of course use the K1 in Crop mode, where it will adjust the amount of the sensor used based on the lens - this will give you the same angle of view you've been used to and the additional features and quality of the K1.

There are other DA* lenses that suffer less than the 2 you have mentioned - the DA*55 has minimal vignetting and the DA*60-250 has some at certain settings.

LennyBloke

bforbes

Link Posted 26/07/2017 - 11:18
There is a compatibility chart from RiceHigh here link and don't forget you can set the K1 to shoot in crop mode to suit APs-C lenses
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

JAK

Link Posted 26/07/2017 - 11:31
The 24x24 mode is also available and will work with APS-C specific lenses without vignetting.
Try your APS-C lenses in FF mode and see if they work for you. Usually its possible to get extra width from them in FF mode, indeed some are based on FF designs eg the DA*60-250. Given one can see what one is taking its possible to adjust the zoom setting and crop the image accordingly. No harm will be caused by setting FF for an APS-C lens! Then even if it doesn't work as intended, the vignetting may actually add something to the photo or simply adjust it out in post processing.
Not withstanding, it makes sense to get FF lenses in the longer term as it makes things more predictable; there's some real bargains in older film lenses to be had.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 26/07/2017 - 11:38

deck_chair_dave

Link Posted 26/07/2017 - 16:44
Many thanks for all replies - very helpful.
I have a couple of full-frame lenses, a 50mm and a 100mm, but I do like using the zooms.

I would like a K1, but I think pound for pound I might be better off using my DA* lenses on a K3.

Many thanks for your help.
deck_chair_dave

cedricd

Link Posted 26/07/2017 - 18:44
I use a DA* 300 on my K1. It is superb. Also, using other DA lenses in crop mode produce a much higher quality image than I ever had on my K3. I rate the K3 highly and use it as a second body but it`s not in the same league as the K1.
Enjoy life

deck_chair_dave

Link Posted 27/07/2017 - 09:45
Thank you to Cedricd for comments also... so from what you say, a K1 using a DA* lens in cropped mode is producing BETTER images than a K3 using the same lens; even though the DA* lens is optimised to work with the APS-C sensor in the K3. That certainly gives me food for thought.
I think I will delay upgrading my camera body until I'm closer to having the funds available for a K1.
deck_chair_dave

pschlute

Link Posted 27/07/2017 - 13:13
I have used both the DA* 60-250 and DA* 300 on the K1 in FF mode. The 300 was based of a FF design and covers the larger sensor with no problems. The 60-250 has some vignetting, but is easily dealt with either by cropping or correcting in pp. There is also a baffle-removal modification that can be done to the 60-250 to remove the vignetting altogether, details of which are available on PentaxForums, but I have yet to see the need.

As others have stated you can always shoot in crop mode if you wish.
Peter

My Flickr page

johnriley

Link Posted 27/07/2017 - 13:58
Crop mode on the K-1 gives us a 15 MP image, whereas the K-3 and K-3 II will give us 24 MP. I'm of the opinion that if APS-C is needed, then an APS-C body will be a better bet.
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 27/07/2017 - 18:49
johnriley wrote:
Crop mode on the K-1 gives us a 15 MP image, whereas the K-3 and K-3 II will give us 24 MP. I'm of the opinion that if APS-C is needed, then an APS-C body will be a better bet.

I agree there is no point in having full frame if you don't have the lenses to take full advantage. However it would be interesting to compare a cropped K1 image against an APS-C body using the same lens.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.