D-LI90 BATTERY LIFE
Posted 12/10/2017 - 11:31
Link
3 years used to be the stated life of Lith-Ion batteries although they often last longer.
--
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 12/10/2017 - 11:44
Link
I thought a batterie's life was determined more by the number of recharging cycles, rather than it's age.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 12/10/2017 - 11:54
Link
bforbes wrote:
I thought a batterie's life was determined more by the number of recharging cycles, rather than it's age.
It used to be age. Even a 3 year old unused battery could be unusable.I thought a batterie's life was determined more by the number of recharging cycles, rather than it's age.
Batteries are also designed for a certain number of recharging cycles. The Pro Eneloops are not designed for as many of recharging cycles as the cheaper Eneloops so never use them in anything that is constantly being re-charged such as a phone.
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 12/10/2017 - 13:04
Link
My K7's battery (same as K3's) still worked after 6-7 years though, and that went through quite a few charging cycles along the way
Andy
Posted 12/10/2017 - 13:26
Link
I've yet to have one die on me. The one that came with my K-5 is still fine as are some third party ones I supplemented it with. I usually rotate them and use them in Pentax's newer camera offerings given the K-5 tends to lay idle mostly now. I've quite a collection of them and all are absolutely fine.
John K
Posted 12/10/2017 - 13:38
Link
I can't remember exactly, but I think I've had the charger light blink when recharging fully discharged batteries. Then it went to a continuous light until fully charged. Again from memory I can't think I had a problem with the battery subsequently.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 12/10/2017 - 15:17
Link
One thousand recharging cycles is the figure that springs to mind.
A battery that is allowed to become absolutely empty may not recharge again, so some charge should always be left in if storing for a long time.
I use three in rotation, so they are likely to last for quite a while.
A battery that is allowed to become absolutely empty may not recharge again, so some charge should always be left in if storing for a long time.
I use three in rotation, so they are likely to last for quite a while.
Best regards, John
Posted 12/10/2017 - 21:09
Link
Andrew,
The number 201311 I belive is the date (month) the battery was manufactured, in this case November 2013.
I have two original Pentax D-LI90 batteries, one of which came with my K5 when purchased new in 2011. Like John I use the batteries in rotation, with one charged ready for use and one in the camera. The second battery was purchased just 18 months ago and therefore the original battery was in constant use for the first five years or so. Both batteries last about the same time between charges with a similar number of pictures taken.
Where a battery fails to charge properly or at all this is due to changes to the battery chemistry. There are several causes, the more common being age, albeit your battery isn't particularly old, the number of recharge cycles, temperature (high temperatures can be damaging), or left in a fully discharged state for a "long" period of time.
Whatever the cause, assuming the battery charger is functioning correctly, you'll need to purchase a replacement battery. Although I have experience of Pentax branded batteries only, others have good experiences of third party brands.
The number 201311 I belive is the date (month) the battery was manufactured, in this case November 2013.
I have two original Pentax D-LI90 batteries, one of which came with my K5 when purchased new in 2011. Like John I use the batteries in rotation, with one charged ready for use and one in the camera. The second battery was purchased just 18 months ago and therefore the original battery was in constant use for the first five years or so. Both batteries last about the same time between charges with a similar number of pictures taken.
Where a battery fails to charge properly or at all this is due to changes to the battery chemistry. There are several causes, the more common being age, albeit your battery isn't particularly old, the number of recharge cycles, temperature (high temperatures can be damaging), or left in a fully discharged state for a "long" period of time.
Whatever the cause, assuming the battery charger is functioning correctly, you'll need to purchase a replacement battery. Although I have experience of Pentax branded batteries only, others have good experiences of third party brands.
Nigel.
Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.
K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.
K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Posted 12/10/2017 - 21:10
Link
you some times find that you have put it in the charger and its not quite sat right in there put it in again and it will most likely charge up with no problems
i have had that sort off problem and not just on cameras
i have had that sort off problem and not just on cameras
Posted 12/10/2017 - 23:09
Link
Sometimes, you have to leave the battery in the charger for a long time before the light goes out - only then is it fully charged (IIRC, and from my own experience). My K-5 battery from around when that body was released is still going strong but not sure how many recharge cycles it has had (tends to be used with those from the K-3/K-3 II bodies without any distinction).
OTOH, had quite a number of clones which have failed much earlier - as have clones of the D-Li109s for the K-30 (discarded 3 of those this summer as they had bulged and would not fit into the camera body!)
Now buying mainly clone DSTE batteries, and, whilst they don't last in use as long, they do seem to be OK for a reasonable overall life period.
OTOH, had quite a number of clones which have failed much earlier - as have clones of the D-Li109s for the K-30 (discarded 3 of those this summer as they had bulged and would not fit into the camera body!)
Now buying mainly clone DSTE batteries, and, whilst they don't last in use as long, they do seem to be OK for a reasonable overall life period.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Posted 13/10/2017 - 01:17
Link
I rotate Pentax originals, Maximafoto and Energisers quite indiscriminately in my K3 and K5. I don't even bother looking which is which. Some are years old and give no trouble at all. As a result, the "charging stress" on any one of them is much lower than it would be on a single battery.
Posted 13/10/2017 - 06:54
Link
davidwozhere wrote:
I rotate Pentax originals, Maximafoto and Energisers quite indiscriminately in my K3 and K5. I don't even bother looking which is which. Some are years old and give no trouble at all. As a result, the "charging stress" on any one of them is much lower than it would be on a single battery.
+1
I rotate Pentax originals, Maximafoto and Energisers quite indiscriminately in my K3 and K5. I don't even bother looking which is which. Some are years old and give no trouble at all. As a result, the "charging stress" on any one of them is much lower than it would be on a single battery.
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 13/10/2017 - 07:43
Link
Thanks to all for your comments. Given the exorbitant cost of Pentax batteries I will invest in a couple of generic ones shortly. I left my "faulty" battery in the charger complete with flashing light whilst I went out for a couple of hours. When I came back the green light was solid and several hours later the battery seems to be fully charged. However a doubt now exists with this unit so I will, for sure, get a backup one.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


117 posts
16 years
Anstonian