Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cyberlink power director 13 on Laptop - can it work please?

AuraTodd
Posted 29/01/2016 - 16:48 Link
I have an i5 HP laptop running windows 10 with 8gb and 2tb of memory with a 64 processor. I would like to know if I can run Cyberlink Power Director Ultra on my laptop?

I've tried running it on my PC which runs Windows 7 with 32 processor, but it doesn't seem to run very well on there.

Also my next question is:

if I save the video file on a flash drive from my PC and transform it to my laptop after installing Cyberlink. Will I be able to open it?

I don't want to have to upload the files from my handycam again (which will be a hastle).

Thanks very much.
Edited by AuraTodd: 29/01/2016 - 16:54
Dingo
Posted 29/01/2016 - 17:43 - Helpful Comment Link
Simple answer is yes you can as CPDU is optimised to work on 64 bit OS. As you have said it does run on your 32 bit OS as it is backward compatible but will always run better on a 64 bit OS.

Same should be true of the flash drive transfer
davidstorm
Posted 29/01/2016 - 23:37 - Helpful Comment Link
It will run, but how well it runs depends on a lot of different factors:

- Does your laptop have a dedicated graphics card, or just the one integrated with the CPU? Dedicated cards are much better for video

- Does it have a SSD (Solid State Drive), these are much faster than traditional hard drives

- The more RAM the better, 8gb is just about workable, 16gb would be a whole lot better

A core i5 processor can come in lots of different guises, some are better than others. In general an i7 is better than an i5, but it's the whole package and how all the components perform together that determines the end result. Sorry if this has confused you but there isn't an answer as simple as 'yes' or 'no' to your question. It also depends on the size of the video files you are processing and what file format they are.

There's a simpler answer to your flash drive question; 'yes' Cyberlink will be able to open it from a flash drive.

Best regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
dangie
Posted 29/01/2016 - 23:50 - Helpful Comment Link
I run PowerDirector 13 on an ageing PC that does not meet Cyberlinks minimum requirement for this software (only 4gb RAM). I'm sure that the minimum requirements are there if you want to take advantage of all the software can do e.g 4K video. As I only edit HD video from my GoPro and Panasonic compact PowerDirector 13 runs perfectly well.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Dingo
Posted 30/01/2016 - 01:48 - Helpful Comment Link
davidstorm wrote:
In general an i7 is better than an i5, but it's the whole package and how all the components perform together that determines the end result.
David

Indeed David you have over-complicated a very simple problem with the answer still yes.

The spec is in the op so should tell you that it's not an ssd, 8gb runs the majority of all modern pc's perfectly well unless running multiple mining and computational threads but Intel's hyperthreading happily takes care of those tasks. The graphics element will has significantly improved with each new incarnation of Intel's current cpu's so onboard will cope with videos easily. The spec tells me there will be something meatier under the hood.

So Louise, the answer is still yes, and yes
AuraTodd
Posted 02/02/2016 - 17:36 Link
Thanks for your replie's I forgot to tick the notification box (stupid me)

Quote:
Does your laptop have a dedicated graphics card

Not sure, how do I find that out?

Quote:
Does it have a SSD (Solid State Drive), these are much faster than traditional hard drives

Again not sure. Can I add more ram to a laptop?

Quote:
It also depends on the size of the video files you are processing and what file format they are.

How can I find this out?

Quote:
I only edit HD video

I don't think these are HD.

I can only give it a go. I haven't opened the CD drive yet since buying this laptop
davidstorm
Posted 03/02/2016 - 20:56 Link
Dingo wrote:
davidstorm wrote:
In general an i7 is better than an i5, but it's the whole package and how all the components perform together that determines the end result.
David

Indeed David you have over-complicated a very simple problem with the answer still yes.

The spec is in the op so should tell you that it's not an ssd, 8gb runs the majority of all modern pc's perfectly well unless running multiple mining and computational threads but Intel's hyperthreading happily takes care of those tasks. The graphics element will has significantly improved with each new incarnation of Intel's current cpu's so onboard will cope with videos easily. The spec tells me there will be something meatier under the hood.

So Louise, the answer is still yes, and yes

Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. I think Louise's responses above justify me raising these points. It is massive over-simplification to state that PowerDirector13 will run satisfactorily on an i5 with 64 bit OS. Yes, it will run better on a 64 bit OS, but not just because it's 64 bit and only if you have sufficient RAM, sufficient Graphics power and CPU processing power to go with it. My son has a 64 bit Windows 8.1 OS with 8gb of RAM and a processor equivalent to i5, but it DOES NOT run PowerDirector satisfactorily with anything other than very small video files. Anything of significant size causes stuttering, poor responsiveness and general poor operation, which BTW does not occur with other video processing software such as Sony Vegas Pro 11.

If Louise's laptop does not have dedicated graphics, does not have a SSD for example, then I think it might struggle with anything other than small tasks with small video files. There is a huge range in performance terms of laptops with core i5, Win 10, 8gb RAM and 2tb hard drive storage. Without knowing the specifics of the performance of her laptop and the type of processing she wishes to do, there is no way anyone can confidently state 'Yes' it will comfortably handle it.

BTW, my working life is spent working with PC's in a commercial environment.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
AuraTodd
Posted 04/02/2016 - 16:59 Link
Is Sony Vegas Pro 11 very good? My laptop has 8gb and has two TB memory.

It's this one

link

Let me know what you think?
McGregNi
Posted 04/02/2016 - 17:38 - Helpful Comment Link
Your laptop is capable of running the Video software mentioned in this thread. Sony Vegas Pro 11 believe to be a very expensive commercially targeted product. The consumer-grade version was known as Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11, and has been updated with the 12 version since, and more recently Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.

These are all very comprehensive video editors full of details and precise ways to control your video files and fine tune the output.

They also are considered to have a high learning curve and are regarded as the least intuitive of the mainstream editors I believe. I found this myself, but wanted to persevere as the level of fine control is amazing, and to this end I bought Steve Grisseti's 2 books on Vegas Platiumum 11 and the DVD Authoring program that is included as well. I've read and re-read the books 3 times and there's still things that catch me out and I have to keep going back to the books again and again.

That said, for the committed, it is very rewarding, and I love my DVDs that I've created with a number of 'home movies' on and their title pages and little opening video sequences that play .... all very professional looking. But I must say that the effort to get those results was very high, and I am not currently doing any video editing as I find it quite taxing.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 04/02/2016 - 17:40
SteveLedger
Posted 04/02/2016 - 20:22 - Helpful Comment Link
AuraTodd wrote:
Is Sony Vegas Pro 11 very good? My laptop has 8gb and has two TB memory.

HDD space is referred to as 'storage'.
'Memory' is the amount of RAM installed, which in your case is 8Gb

I'm not sure what you are doing with Video and what your end goal is, but there's a free open source video editor available which has a shallow learning curve, is fast to load and use, has a simple but attractive UI and importantly the output is of good quality. The program is regularly updated with a new version posted each month.
It's called 'Shotcut' and I use it for all my video editing these days.
Comment Image

http://www.shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut/WebHome
AuraTodd
Posted 05/02/2016 - 16:45 Link
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are doing with Video and what your end goal is

Just to fade in show holiday clips nothing fancy) and then fade out. I never heard of shortcut I'll check it out.

Do you drag the files to a timeline?
Edited by AuraTodd: 05/02/2016 - 16:47
SteveLedger
Posted 05/02/2016 - 20:17 - Helpful Comment Link
AuraTodd wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are doing with Video and what your end goal is

Just to fade in show holiday clips nothing fancy) and then fade out. I never heard of shortcut I'll check it out.

Do you drag the files to a timeline?

Absolutely you can do both those things in Shotcut with great ease.
Watch the tutorials, in particular Cross-Fades and Transitions. It's dead easy.

http://www.shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut/TutorialVideos
Edited by SteveLedger: 05/02/2016 - 20:18

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.