Crunch - Paddy's Holen South Gare, Redcar, Cleveland, UK

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 10/06/2019 - 23:41

Its been a while, and I have been if'ng and ah'ng on this image, between a crunchy colour image, a black and white, and a cinematic esk style (which i'm trying to resist at the risk of over doing it) - So with a departure from my usual style, I have gone for a punch in your face style...

South Gare is an area of reclaimed land and breakwater on the southern side of the mouth of the River Tees in Redcar and Cleveland, England.

Paddy's Hole is a small harbour constructed from slag in the lagoon on the Teesmouth side of South Gare. It is named Paddy's Hole because of the many Irishmen who helped build the South Gare

This inlet of the river provides a safe haven for small boats and fishing craft which are left high and dry in the mud at low tide.

However, the surrounding area is such a mix of contrasts. Teesport, oil refineries and chemical plants on the near horizon, sweeping views south across the sands to Redcar and the North Yorkshire coast and cliffs or north to Hartlepool and the Headland, the open sea, the river, sand dunes and mud flats, ships, small boats, fishermenís huts, a lifeboat station, wildlife, birds and fauna and Estonís ironstone hills on the far horizon and so much more...

Larger size image can be seen here > https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-moore/48039820743
YouTube: Photography Vlog
Facebook: Photography Page Weekly Updates and Musings
Twitter: Photography Mini Thoughts
Instagram: Yes, Here
Flickr: Yes Here

OldTaffy

Link Posted 11/06/2019 - 11:16
I like it! The punchy contrast suits it, with the rather depressing though colourful foreground and the striking industrial skyline and clouds. I don't know this area of Recar/Teesside but I remember that at least one classic coble went there from the Whitby area - no not the MAYFLOWER of Whitby in the foreground.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

pschlute

Link Posted 11/06/2019 - 11:32
I like it too. Colour enhances the contrast of the small boats with the industrial skyline beyond.
Peter

My Flickr page

Graham_A_E

Link Posted 11/06/2019 - 19:09
Good choice.

G

Sry

Link Posted 16/06/2019 - 20:46
Definitely in your face, Geoff, and works very well!

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 17/06/2019 - 16:00
Thanks for the comments guys, I had been checking back regularly, but alas didn't get any notifications of replies being left, maybe i'm being daft and missed something - Anyways enough with excuses, I hope you don't mind me replying in bulk.

@oldtaffy - thank you, my time at the location was short, and was peppered by 3 or 4 squally rain showers as i had a a walk about the location, and during the deluges i have to agree it has a very depressing and lonely feel to the place, even with the large amount of people coming an going.

@pschlute, thanks, The super contrasty sunlight right after a rain shower (or 2) had passed was very strong and relefecting of the white hulls of the boats, was almost blinding, but this light really changed the mood of the scene for me, to something a little optimistic, and the punchy colours really did stand out. Mixed with the juxtaposition of the industrial skyline, I had hoped it would convey a sense of rebellion against that industrial nature of the landscape.

@Graham_A_E & Sry - Thank you for taking the time to view and comment. I have a few more images of my adventures that I'd like to post, rather than bore you all with endless images, I'll upload every now and then

Once again, thanks for the comments all, very much appreciated.

Regards
Geoff
YouTube: Photography Vlog
Facebook: Photography Page Weekly Updates and Musings
Twitter: Photography Mini Thoughts
Instagram: Yes, Here
Flickr: Yes Here
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.