Crisis of confidence

Father Ted

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 12:25
Well, nearly, anyway.
Now, before I start, I'm not posting this to have my ego polished .

A friend of mine who likes taking family snaps, decided to buy himself a DSLR after seeing mine. Although, he went with Nikon.
A few months on he has decided to sign himself up for a BTEC photography course ( he's the friend with time & money).

This made me start thinking "I wish I could do that". I spent a evening beating myself up about lack of qualifications in general, etc, then I started look back through my shots. I don't have anywhere near a 100% success rate, but there enough there to make me think, "D'you what? Who needs a piece of paper!".
Crisis! What crisis?
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Stuey

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 12:34
Hi Ted

I don't think anyone has a 100% success rate for me that is part of the fun.

As for qualifications, I have a few, undergraduate and postgraduate etc and have to admit that the most interesting and intelligent people I know often have no qualifications worth speaking of

Oh yeah, and for all my paper qualifications I still make regular typing errors on this forum

You could by a fine car and many lenses and cameras for less than the cost of tuition fees these days

Cheers

Stu
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

gartmore

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 13:14
Henri Cartier-Bresson said "your first 10,000 photographs are your worst"

I have no paper qualifications in photography but that doesn't stop me teaching it in FE and HE institutions.

An RPS Distinction might be more fun.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

fritzthedog

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 13:35
Ted

This is by no means advice - we are all different, but personally - I can not think of anything I would rather not do than take a qualification in photography.

For me it would take all the fun out of it. I don't just enjoy taking the photos, I thoroughly enjoy the journey of discovery that you can only get from being out there with the gear working it out for yourself.

Does my way of learning make me a better or worse photographer? No idea - but it certainly makes me a happier one.

Not often I agree with company slogans but to borrow from Nike - Just do it!

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

mcpieman

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 14:48
I did a night school photography class a couple of years back, it had no paper qualification at the end so it was just for fun. There are many things I would not have tried if it was not for being on the course, but because it was part of the course I had a go. For instance getting up on a cold wet morning and standing at the top of a multistory car park in Manchester to get panoramas or high up shots to be processed with tilt shift effects, no fun on your own, but I enjoyed it as part of the class. It also made me dedicate some time (i.e the classes) to taking photos, without the wife wanting to be off somewhere shopping while I was trying set the tripod up to get long exposures etc. It wasn't that expensive a course either as it was only 3 hrs a week, certainly cost a lot less than a lens, and meant I actually used the lenses I had.

Father Ted

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 15:31
See, there's a couple of posts there that sum things up for me.
a) "It'd take the fun out of it". I spent 2 hours on Tuesday trying to photograph a water droplet. I took and deleted over 70 shots, but, I learnt a lot and hopefully on my next attempt I will avoid those mistakes and work towards getting a "keeper" But, it was FUN! Trying different exposures, flash directions, even different ways to drip the water.

But

b) On a course, I wouldn't have the Mrs nagging me for spending two hours with my camera in the way and a bowl of water on the table she wanted to use as it'd be "homework!"
It'd also make me get off my a**e and take more photos.

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 15:58
Ted, Ted, Ted - you have got this all wrong - you get off your a**e and out of the house to take more photos and avoid the nagging

We have a weekend rule in this house - 1 day is mine to pursue my hobby -I go out all day with the gear - no kids - no nagging.

The other day is theirs and I will do whatever they want - and if what they want does not involve me - then out I go again - before they change their collective mind - simples

cabstar

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 16:01
I think you struggle to find a photographer with a 100% success rate. I did an A level in photography, learnt very little photography, learnt alot though about how to appreciate other forms of photography as wel las art and made some good friends along the way...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Father Ted

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 16:03
fritzthedog wrote:
Ted, Ted, Ted - you have got this all wrong - you get off your a**e and out of the house to take more photos and avoid the nagging

We have a weekend rule in this house - 1 day is mine to pursue my hobby -I go out all day with the gear - no kids - no nagging.

The other day is theirs and I will do whatever they want - and if what they want does not involve me - then out I go again - before they change their collective mind - simples

How on earth did you ever negotiate that?

JohnX

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 16:32
I also had that crisis of confidence some while back, but decided it's not the techical aspects of photography that's a problem for me, it's the creative, artistic, side.

My (partial) solution was to sign up for photography days run by professional garden togs at RHS Wisley and Kew, both of which are close to home, where I could spend time with other photographers and learn from them how they approached photographing (in this instance) trees, plants, landscapes, etc.

Result? Lots of technically good, poor compositions, of trees, plants, landscapes, etc! Oh, and days to myself away from the family.

Give yourself time and space to go out and play. You'll find you're much better than you think you are.
Last Edited by JohnX on 21/09/2012 - 16:33

tyronet2000

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 16:35
I think Carl gave the best response. If it's not fun it's a chore and there is no joy to had.
Regards
Stan

PPG

fritzthedog

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 19:23
Father Ted wrote:
fritzthedog wrote:

How on earth did you ever negotiate that?

I think it is probably due to the fact that I mainly work from home - they all get sick of the sight of me

davidtrout

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 19:45
You'd might learn more about creative photography, as opposed to the technical side of photography, if you joined one of the more go ahead camera clubs.
By the way you should now be signing yourself off with 'Already got there.'
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 21/09/2012 - 19:45

fatspider

Link Posted 21/09/2012 - 20:31
I did three years doing evening classes, one basic photography, one advanced and one aimed at B&W incl. developing and printing, It got me a few Ncfe's and the tutor (same one 3 years running with mostly the same students) told us we were qualified enough to skip the first year if we wanted to do a Degree at Uni.

I thought about it long and hard and came to the conclusion it wouldn't make me a better photographer, joining a camera club did that.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

ChrisA

Link Posted 22/09/2012 - 00:44
gartmore wrote:
Henri Cartier-Bresson said "your first 10,000 photographs are your worst"

"The first ten thousand photographs were the worst.

The next ten thousand photographs - they were the worst too.

After that I went into a bit of a decline".

(Misquoted from HHGTHG).
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.