Couple of K3iii low light (theatre rehearsal) images

JonSchick

Link Posted 17/05/2021 - 09:15
Used the K3iii for its first 'assignment' yesterday, coupled with the Sigma 17-70 2.8/4 C lens. These images were taken from a play rehearsal at the Abbey Theatre (St Albans), quite a testing environment. Lighting was muted and these images were both taken at ISO6400, in TAv mode (SS 1/60, Aperture f4).

I got a reasonably high 'keeper rate' with images going on to Social Media today and being printed for display in the foyer when the show - End Game - goes live later this week. AF seemed to work pretty well (I mostly left it in Auto to sort itself out) although I do wish it was easier to see the focus points in poor light - this was pretty much an impossibility. White balance came out rather warm too, although such lighting conditions can be notoriously tricky.

There's quite a lot of noise there at ISO6400, but the images are usable up to a reasonable print size (they'd certainly make a great 10x8" and you could go a little higher). Compared to the previous camera I used for theatre photography - a Leica Typ 240 - the high ISO noise performance of the K3iii is excellent, and there is much less intrusive banding; so I suppose we can say it outperforms a previous generation full frame sensor on that point.

Cheers,

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

pschlute

Link Posted 17/05/2021 - 09:41
They look great to me.
Peter

My Flickr page

womble

Link Posted 17/05/2021 - 09:47
Oh, my local. Lovely photos (as always).

I've been happy using 6400 with a bit of noise reduction in Lightroom. Given I wouldn't take the K20D above 400, or the K3 above 1600, that seems great.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Chrism8

Link Posted 17/05/2021 - 10:11
Looks pretty good
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

RobL

Link Posted 17/05/2021 - 10:14
An interesting commission they look good. Does the camera have multi-auto white balance? I find on the K1 this is a good option for interiors with different lighting including incidental daylight.

JonSchick

Link Posted 17/05/2021 - 10:18
Yes Rob it does have multi-auto WB which is something I need to remember next time!
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

K10D

Link Posted 17/05/2021 - 17:11
Good work. Point proved. A very capable camera.

Best regards.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.