Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Country Walk with DA*300

AndrewH
Posted 08/07/2018 - 09:48 Link
I finally treated myself to the DA*300 I promised myself when I got my K200D 9 years ago. It was one of the SRS 'refurbished' ones (indistinguishable from new) and I had to sell/trade in another 4 lenses that were not really getting used to be able to get my hands on it. I was really pleased with the results from the blue tit fledglings in the garden, but yesterday I went out for a 'proper' walk with it and my K5iiS - I'd hoped for lots of birds, but got more butterflies and insects. To say I am pleased with the results would be an understatement! This lens really does have something special about it & the pleasure it brings using it it priceless. Below are a few samples (I also used the D-FA 100 Macro WR for some very special pictures of a small tortoiseshell..) and there are plenty more in my Flickr album https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnTghv5

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

This one with the D-FA 100 Macor WR

Comment Image

As always thoughts welcome!
Edited by AndrewH: 08/07/2018 - 09:49
Chrism8
Posted 08/07/2018 - 09:58 Link
The Hare and Dragonfly are the pick of the bunch for me, looks to be a cracking lens

Chris
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
LennyBloke
Posted 08/07/2018 - 10:11 Link
The Pentax 300mm Star lenses are all superb, and this being the latest in the line has the fast aperture, SDM focus and WR - you've bagged a nice cross-section of British wildlife with these, you should be really pleased
LennyBloke
stub
Posted 08/07/2018 - 10:20 Link
Thumbs up to you....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
royd63uk
Posted 08/07/2018 - 10:36 Link
love the Hare its excellent.
Enjoy your new lens.
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
redbusa99
Posted 08/07/2018 - 10:44 Link
all very good but must say the Hare stands out as the best for me. a lens i think i want when i see images like this just not sure that it would get the use to justify the cost
odd lens or 2

Flickr
pschlute
Posted 08/07/2018 - 12:25 Link
The hare is superb.
davidstorm
Posted 08/07/2018 - 19:45 Link
Hare and Damselfly for me, what a great set. The DA*300 is one of the lenses I will never sell, I too love this lens.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
MrB
Posted 08/07/2018 - 20:32 Link
davidstorm wrote:
Hare and Damselfly for me, what a great set.

For me too.

It amazes me how some insects can look so metallic!

Cheers.
Philip
AndrewH
Posted 08/07/2018 - 21:13 Link
Thank you for all your kind comments - I don't honestly think that I will ever sell this lens either. It makes me want to go out and take photos in a way that very few lenses in the past have!

redbusa99 wrote:
all very good but must say the Hare stands out as the best for me. a lens i think i want when i see images like this just not sure that it would get the use to justify the cost

I had to think long and hard about buying this lens - I 'almost' bought it on a number of occasions but for one reason and another never did. Yes, it was expensive, but I have to admit it's worth every penny. Having said that it suits the type of photography that I enjoy - I sold an ultra wide-angle, the two DA plastic fantastic primes and a 50-200WR to help meet the costs of this so was very apprehensive at such a reduction in my lens bag. Do I miss them? Not with the DA*300 as part of my kit!
Tyr
Posted 09/07/2018 - 20:34 Link
It is a great lens. The only thing I wish is that I had the 1.4x teleconverter to use with it. Sometimes the field of view/reach isn't quite enough.
AndrewH
Posted 10/07/2018 - 15:21 Link
Tyr wrote:
It is a great lens. The only thing I wish is that I had the 1.4x teleconverter to use with it. Sometimes the field of view/reach isn't quite enough.

That's next on my list once I've saved enough after this major spend!
Mike-P
Posted 10/07/2018 - 21:23 - Helpful Comment Link
Very nice, like others my favourite is the hare as well.

It is an exceptionally sharp lens and takes the 1.4x very well but I suggest you also keep an eye out for a single macro tube (or do as I did and butcher a cheap "A" contact teleconverter) as it will allow you to focus a lot closer while being a good distance away from your subject. This means you can more or less leave the macro at home if you want.

Taken on my K-3II with the DA* 300mm and small extension tube.

Comment Image
Fly on a flower stalk by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
davidtrout
Posted 11/07/2018 - 10:51 Link
A lovely set of images all round, those on the 100 macro as well as the DA*300.
David
AndrewH
Posted 11/07/2018 - 14:52 Link
Thank you for your further kind comments. I have some manual tubes which I assume will just leave the lens wide open as they can't control aperture automatically... I'll have a play with those too & see what happens! A lot of these were focused manually anyway to stop any unnecessary hunting at crucial moments! Thank for the tip, Mike!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.