Cost of repair?

Bagpuss

Link Posted 01/10/2003 - 15:08
My beloved MZ50 failed me for the first time ever, on the first day of a 2 week holiday in Sri Lanka. Not good. Fortunately I had a back up point and shoot but it wasn't the same.

The shutter appears to be sticking, but for some reason it works fine when the camera is cool and dry (eg after a night in an airconditioned hotel) and sticks as soon as it gets a bit warm and/or humid. It's never done this before and been in several hot/humid places, so it's definitely a new problem.

My dilemma: I was planning in any case to upgrade to an *ist at Christmas and use my MZ50 as a second body. Now, I don't know whether it's worth fixing my MZ50, or buying a more basic (since it's just going to be a second body) second hand MZ-M or older manual camera such as a P30.

So, does anyone have any idea of how much this is likely to cost me to fix? Oh, the pop up flash has gone saggy too (I assume a spring has died or come unattached somewhere), so I'd need to get that fixed as well.

Thanks in advance

Anna

MattMatic

Link Posted 01/10/2003 - 16:15
Anna,

If you are in the UK: make sure you subscribe to Pentax User, then you can get 20% discount direct from Pentax. They have standard repairs, and did my MZ-5 quite reasonably (can't remember how much) - it had a film advance and scratch problem.

Alternatively, try Asahi Photo - www.asahiphoto.net
They seem to offer cost effective repairs and are very helpful on the phone.

Hope that helps,
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Bagpuss

Link Posted 01/10/2003 - 16:30
Thanks Matt

I just discovered this site and subscribed yesterday, so I will definitely be taking advantage of that discount. It sounds like it's probably going to be cheaper to get mine fixed then. Oh, and yes I am in the UK - and I've just updated my profile to show it, thanks.

Cheers for your quick response

Anna
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.