Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Container ship photography with Pentax K-5

Posted 25/08/2016 - 20:09 Link
Hello, it's been a while since my last post. Things have taken a dramatic change here in Bournemouth.
My main interest was 'Aircraft' and I visited Bournemouth Airport quite often before I retired,but not anymore, because 'Manchester Airport Group' (who own Bournemouth) have erected massive fences all around the airfield, so it useless for photo's.
So.... I am now focusing (excuse the pun) on Ships at Southampton (Hythe)
Anyway the question is, can any of you fine Ladies and Gentlemen advise me as to what settings are best for 'Ship Photography. (Metering options etc etc)
My only lens is a"Tamron Di II AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR which is about right I think.
I feel such a plonker asking this question, but if in doubt ask....

Many Many Thanks in advance

Flashbang
droopsnoot
Posted 09/09/2016 - 13:01 Link
Isn't there a viewing area - I believe they have one at Manchester so you'd imagine that if they're happy with spotters and photographers at one, the same would apply at the other.

I can't offer any specific advice on photographing ships, though I'd think that the key with a container ship is to get as pin-sharp an image as you can - motion blur or prop blur won't be an issue here. I'd think a container ship with a nice varied load of differently-liveried containers could make an interesting image. As it doesn't seem like anyone else has specific advice either, I'd go with experimenting until you get images you're happy with.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror
johnriley
Posted 09/09/2016 - 15:55 Link
Ships, large and small, complete or details, close or distant..........you will need all the usual lenses you would expect. An 18-200mm is pretty good overall, but for details on the ships perhaps something longer as well.

I'd start at f/8 and just make sure the shutter speed is sufficient to stop camera shake and subject movement.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John
HowardJ
Posted 09/09/2016 - 20:29 Link
Hi,

Like you I am a very infrequent poster, but I "lurk" most days!!!

I'm glad there's somebody else who likes shipping. Have you seen this site for ideas -

http://www.shipsofthemersey.me.uk/index?/category/445-solent_shipping_sept_2016

contains some brilliant shots. However I was hoping to be able to extract the exif but I couldn't, perhaps I shouldn't try.

Here's one I took in Venice a few years ago

Comment Image

I think the best way to learn is to use the old adage - "If at first you don't succeed - try and try again"

Doesn't answer your question, but hope it helps.

Howard
Cymru Am Byth
JAK
Posted 09/09/2016 - 21:26 Link
HowardJ wrote:
Have you seen this site for ideas -

http://www.shipsofthemersey.me.uk/index?/category/445-solent_shipping_sept_2016

contains some brilliant shots. However I was hoping to be able to extract the exif but I couldn't, perhaps I shouldn't try.

If you wish to get basic exif from photos on that site, or any other site come to that and you use Firefox, the add-on Exify will show camera, shutter speed, aperture and ISO at the bottom of the photo. Not all web photos have exif info and Exify can't do the impossible. However it's a very useful add-on and works for many sites where the right mouse click is disabled causing alternatives such as Exif Viewer or FxIF to fail.

Another alternative is to contact that 'Welcome to Ships of the Mersey' site and ask them to install the Piwigo 'Exif View' addon (it won't cost them anything.) You can then click on an icon at the top and it will then show all the exif info.
(You can see how Exif View works on my site link if you wish as I use the same gallery software. It isn't something you can add in yourself. To get the exif, click on the little camera icon.)
A link to a related photo here: QMII if it helps avoiding rummaging around too much!
John K
Edited by JAK: 09/09/2016 - 21:49

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.