Computer query

punkrockemo

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 12:09
The hard drive on my computer is almost completely full of photos (and music) so I treated myself to a new hardrive, however on opening my computer up i dont seem to have space to install it. (Should have checked before)

Attached below pictures of computer, can anyone confirm this.

I assume i cannot replace the esxisting hardrive as the operating system will be installed on it.

gartmore

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 12:23
A picture of the back and front might help
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

punkrockemo

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 12:59
Picutres of front and back as suggested

Thanks

dpm

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 13:08
no room. Get an external housing w/ sata to usb?

GlynM

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 13:58
punkrockemo wrote:

I assume i cannot replace the esxisting hardrive as the operating system will be installed on it.

I think you only have two options, go external with the second drive as already suggested or replace the existing internal HDD with a bigger one.

It is not only that there is not the space to fit the new drive but looking at you photos it looks like there are only 2 sata ports on the motherboard and both are in use, one for the HDD and one for the optical drive.

You can replace the existing drive if you clone the old one onto the new drive which will preserve the operating system and all your settings. This needs special software. I use Acronis True image for this type of thing but it is expensive for a single upgrade. However Acronis True image HD can be found fairly cheaply. This example is really for upgrading to an SSD but will also work fine for HDDs, although you will not need the 2.5" bracket.

You have not said the size of the internal drive or your new drive. This is only worth doing if the the new drive is (a lot) bigger than the old one.

You still have to temporarily install both HDDs to perform the clone but you could disconnect the optical drive and hang the new drive off its sata and, hopefully, power connectors with the new drive sitting on some sort of temporary support, like a cardboard box sat next to the open PC. Some care is needed to make sure you do not damage anything with a static discharge when fitting and connecting everything.

The cloning process is usually straight forward and will automatically resize the disc to fit the extra capacity of the new drive.

Once completed swap out the old HDD for the new, cloned, one and reconnect the optical drive. With the purchase of an external enclosure you could use the old drive as a portable drive or backup.

Of Course even if the new disc is lot bigger you will eventually fill this as well so if might be better to be thinking about archiving your older files onto an external drive or even possibly some sort of cloud service.

I hope this helps,

Glyn
Last Edited by GlynM on 09/03/2014 - 13:59

GlynM

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 14:35
GlynM wrote:
You still have to temporarily install both HDDs to perform the clone but you could disconnect the optical drive and hang the new drive off its sata and, hopefully, power connectors with the new drive sitting on some sort of temporary support, like a cardboard box sat next to the open PC. Some care is needed to make sure you do not damage anything with a static discharge when fitting and connecting everything.

Apologies, I realise that this won't work as you still need the optical drive to run the True Image HD mini-DVD (which boots up at start-up) and therefore you can't do it this way. I think the only way to clone the HDD in these circumstances is to temporarily mount the new drive in an external USB enclosure and if you have gone to the trouble of buying the enclosure it might be easier just to leave it as an external disc.

It might be possible to copy True Image HD onto a USB stick and boot from that but it is not something I have tried. I have run True Image HD from an external USB DVD drive that I bought for my netbook but again this assumes you have or can borrow such a device.

The full, expensive, version of Acronis True Image does not suffer from this as it is installed on the HDD and can be run without an optical drive but at £40 costs five times as much as the True Image HD example.

Glyn
Last Edited by GlynM on 09/03/2014 - 14:53

malcolmk

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 15:23
There is nearly always room to 'stick' a drive on the 'floor' below the motherboard. My current case even has the holes pre-drilled for it.

GlynM

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 15:53
malcolmk wrote:
There is nearly always room to 'stick' a drive on the 'floor' below the motherboard. My current case even has the holes pre-drilled for it.

But I don't think there is a spare sata port. It looks like there are only two and both are in use.

Glyn

edit: However as there appears to be a spare pci slot perhaps this sort of thing could solve the problem .
Last Edited by GlynM on 09/03/2014 - 16:11

dougf8

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 16:58
It looks like your hdd goes across the case making the case fat, it looks like you could attach a second caddy vertically some how.

Or just buy a case and mobo bundle and get round the problem altogether.
Lurking is shirking.!

punkrockemo

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 17:06
Thank you all very much for all your help, the new hard drive is 3TB compared to 500 GB of the existing one. I was not aware that you could get external casing for the hard drive so that seems like the easiest option.

There is a spare PCI slot as you pointed out so the Sata plugin may be another easy option.

Thanks again

Mark

Gamka

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 17:38
If you can get Acronis True Image to boot from a USB stick, which should be possible then disconnect the SATA lead to the Optical drive and connect to the new drive. Clone the 500GB to the 3TB.

Keep the 500GB - you have a back up of images to date on there.

woodworm

Link Posted 09/03/2014 - 21:15
I can't quite see what the free expansion slot is, but you could add a SATA card to give you additional ports, something along the lines of this

You need to confirm what that slot is before buying anything though.

Steep

Link Posted 10/03/2014 - 08:52
Remove the dvd drive, fit the new hard drive in its place and buy an external dvd rom? you'd need to find something to fill the hole the dvd left in the front of the unit though.

RussV

Link Posted 10/03/2014 - 09:02
If you can add another SATA port with a PCI card and have a spare power connection you can have a 2nd drive inside the case by using velcro strips with sticky backing to attach a drive to base of the optical drive. You could even consider a 2.5" drive with suitable cable adaptor if space is still a factor. Assuming you don't move or bump your PC much it's unlikley to fall off.
www.russv.me.uk
Last Edited by RussV on 10/03/2014 - 09:03

punkrockemo

Link Posted 10/03/2014 - 13:32
Thanks again for all your help, looking into all options suggested.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.