Computer problems!! PC EU virus.... :shock:

steven9761

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 14:37
Pentaxophile wrote:
Otherwise I will just transfer my files and photos onto an external hard drive.

No, no, no!!... Do not transfer any files anywhere!! You could also be transferring the virus to your remote media, and it will simply re-install itself when you transfer the files back to your clean pc!!

Cold-boot your pc into SAFE MODE (typically, by pressing the F8 key), then run your AV program there. Before doing so, make sure that you have switched off SYSTEM RESTORE.

Once you are free of the infection, switch SYSTEM RESTORE back on again.

Don

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 14:42
on my mac, I use a program called Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of my internal harddrive onto an external drive. I do this the day I buy the computer. then I put the drive away and never use it unless I want to take out my working drive and replace it with a "factory original, never used " drive for any reason.

this is on top of regular backups. worth the money.... you have no idea how handy that can be especially when re-selling or repairing a computer...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 14:43
JohnX wrote:
steven9761 wrote:
Quote:
This any help? Tells you how to remove manually.

http://www.deletevirus.net/police-central-e-crime-unit-virus/

When I tried to access this on the office pc, TREND MICRO's security warning flagged this as a DANGEROUS SITE. Access it at your own risk!!

Possibly because of the referance to viruses. I checked it out on my PC/Kaspersky anti-virus before I posted and nothing was flagged, but, agree this could be a double-bluff! Doesn't appear to be though, and I accessed it via a US Police site.

I guess that the link from JohnX is safe.
I tried to mail the URL to my gmail account, and my ISP rejected the URL as possibly containing a virus. So I typed it in by hand into Safari on my Apple Mac, and it opened without a problem. Same how-to-remove stuff as I found on another site.
The problem is probably that the URL contains a naughty word beginning with V.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

TOZZA27

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 14:50
I remember the "magic bullet" fondly - I think it was Mcafee back in the 90s

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

siliconchippy

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 15:26
Try here for the 'Magic Bullet ' referred to above, give you everything you want, can be a CD, USB, DVD or whatever you need.
regards
Will
The first and the simplest emotion which we discover in the human mind is Curiosity.
Edmund Burke

steven9761

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 15:36
siliconchippy wrote:
Try here for the 'Magic Bullet ' referred to above, give you everything you want, can be a CD, USB, DVD or whatever you need.
regards
Will

It's not quite what I had in mind, although it is still useful. Like Tony was suggesting, this was simply a diskette that you put in your A: drive, and powered-up your pootah! I think that in essence, it "wiped" the infected MBR (Master Boot Record), and replaced it with a virus-free MBR. I might be entirely wrong in that assumption, but it was an excellent utility to own!

Frogherder

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 15:45
Panda do a USB/CD virus clearance option. You can download :-

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/

regards
Bernard

siliconchippy

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 16:07
steven9761 wrote:
siliconchippy wrote:
regards
Will

It's not quite what I had in mind, although it is still useful. Like Tony was suggesting, this was simply a diskette that you put in your A: drive, and powered-up your pootah! I think that in essence, it "wiped" the infected MBR (Master Boot Record), and replaced it with a virus-free MBR. I might be entirely wrong in that assumption, but it was an excellent utility to own!

That link is exactly what he needs it can be made bootable and there are a dozen or so MBR repair tools on the list if you had bothered to !look! (steven9761) or are those not what you think you mean
The first and the simplest emotion which we discover in the human mind is Curiosity.
Edmund Burke

steven9761

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 16:24
siliconchippy wrote:
steven9761 wrote:
Quote:
regards
Will

That link is exactly what he needs it can be made bootable and there are a dozen or so MBR repair tools on the list if you had bothered to !look! (steven9761) or are those not what you think you mean

I'm not doubting their use, Will!!.. All I'm saying is that what you posted is entirely different to how the Magic Bullet works as I remember it. HIRENS BOOTDISK is really a selection of programs that the user has to manually choose which program(s) to run, whereas, Magic Bullet was simply inserted into the A: (floppy disk) drive with the pc switched off, then when you switched on with the disk inserted, absolutely no user input was required as far as manual selection goes. I did actually previously state this, as per my post timed at 15:36 today.

PS: I DID bother to look!!

Of the antivirus tools, I'd highly recommend SUPERANTISPYWARE!.. I use this at home, and I run it every night before I go to bed.
Last Edited by steven9761 on 29/06/2012 - 16:38

Frogherder

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 16:31
Correction to my previous post.

The following is the correct one where the utility can be used from a cd or usb

http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-safecd-3-4-3-5-released/

regards
Bernard

Hardgravity

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 17:32
For a cleaner try IObit, it worked for me a while back.

For a copy of WinXP...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 18:01
I was able to run Avast in Safe Mode, which removed the offending bit of malware. All's now well! Yippee! And I'm installing Ubuntu alongside Windows, because I enjoyed using it the last couple of nights while Windows was incapacitated.....
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 18:21
TOZZA27 wrote:
I remember the "magic bullet" fondly - I think it was Mcafee back in the 90s

Tony

The original "Magic Bullet" was Doctor Solomon's (later S&S Software dating from 1988 (Yes, thats right, the MSDOS era).
Ten years later, Network Associates (subsequently McAfee) bought the lot from Doc Solly.
Things were a lot easier in the DOS era, right up to Win 98.

It can be worth looking up (and downloading) The Ultimate Boot Disk.

Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

GaryJarvis

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 21:38
These ransomewares are actually "false" viruses. They just insert a small piece of programming to prevent acces to windows exe. files (these are the bits that open programs) so it seems you are frozen out of your computre. Very often virus scan will not work even if you can access them as they are not true viruses.
I have found that rebooting in "safe mode with networking" allows you basic access to computer and internet. Google "Malwarebytes free" or "Antispyware free edition" and follow install instructions. These actually remove the malicious item from a simple scan. Once scan is completed it will tell you that it has removed "XXX" and system should then be safe to reboot normally. Then I would do full antivirus scan and run "ccleaner" or other system cleanup tool.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 30/06/2012 - 19:32
The big problem came for me when, no matter what I did, one of these ramsom-ware things locked the system down completely.

Answer?

Re-install Win7, recover needed/wanted files from 'win-old' folder and delete the rest, it worked and had the plus of making me renew a slowing, bloated, install.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.