Compare WR to non WR lenses

Robert42

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 21:04
Hi

I have just gone from a K-r with 18-55 and 50-200 non WR lenses to a K50 with an 18-55 WR lens. Is there a difference in the performance between WR and non WR lenses and will the 50-200 lens work OK in the K50?

Robert
Robert

K50 - Still learning

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 21:09
Very little difference in performance and yes, the 50-200mm will work fine.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Helpful

Robert42

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 21:13
Thanks for that. glad I don't have to buy a new WR one
Robert

K50 - Still learning

richandfleur

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 22:39
Robert42 wrote:
Thanks for that. glad I don't have to buy a new WR one

Unless you want the WR aspect

Robert42

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 23:24
At the moment I am a bit of a fairweather photographer

I may get a 55-300mm WR lens when finance permits though
Robert

K50 - Still learning

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 06:49
Robert42 wrote:

I think we mostly all are! I find it quite hard and unnatural to break the habits of a lifetime and just let rain rain fall onto my camera and lens (when using the K7 with 18-55 II WR). I'm so programmed to try and protect ANY device when out and it rains (you know, don't let any drips get into the electricals!).

I've always seen the value in it, though mostly as a way of allowing you to finish off something when other photographers would pack up and run for cover. I know dramatic weather can make great images, but really, surely the idea of getting great results in the rain in mostly a myth ...? Rubbish weather equals rubbish photos in most cases, isn't that the case ....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/05/2015 - 06:58

johnriley

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 08:29
The best pictures are at the top of the highest peak, the furthest point from the car park in the most atrocious weather you can find. No pain, no gain!

Slightly tongue-in-cheek perhaps, but therein does lie a point.....
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 10/05/2015 - 09:26

doingthebobs

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 09:00
The fear of breaking my camera used to keep it in the bag. Now I have weather sealing and am confident that I can get the picture with no damage to my tools!

The cloudless sky makes boring landscape picture. The changing light before and after rain is often the stuff that makes for interesting pictures. Memories are not just made on dry days.
Bob

jemx99

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 11:13
McGregNi wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Robert42"]
I've always seen the value in it, though mostly as a way of allowing you to finish off something when other photographers would pack up and run for cover. I know dramatic weather can make great images, but really, surely the idea of getting great results in the rain in mostly a myth ...? Rubbish weather equals rubbish photos in most cases, isn't that the case ....

johnriley wrote:
The best pictures are at the top of the highest peak, the furthest point from the car park in the most atrocious weather you can find. No pain, no gain!

doingthebobs wrote:
The cloudless sky makes boring landscape picture. The changing light before and after rain is often the stuff that makes for interesting pictures. Memories are not just made on dry days.

Totally agree with the above - some of my best shots are taken in dramatic weather. I'm sometimes disappointed if I'm off out and the weather is too 'nice! I love going out when a storm is brewing - shame my partner doesn't agree
Also another thing about our equipments weather proofing is I can give my Canon /Nikon owning brother some stick!

doingthebobs

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 13:42
jemx99 wrote:

Also another thing about our equipments weather proofing is I can give my Canon /Nikon owning brother some stick!

And that must be very satisfying.
Bob

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 14:12
McGregNi wrote:
Robert42 wrote:

I think we mostly all are! I find it quite hard and unnatural to break the habits of a lifetime and just let rain rain fall onto my camera and lens (when using the K7 with 18-55 II WR). I'm so programmed to try and protect ANY device when out and it rains (you know, don't let any drips get into the electricals!).

Ok, I'll take the bait.....
1) Weatherproofing isn't just about taking photographs in the pouring rain...if you are out and about and the weather is bad, YOU and your clothing re going to be wet...even if the rain stops, sunlight breaks through the clouds and the shot of a lifetime appears, when you whip out your Pentax to take the shot, you do not want to be worried about your wet hands, drips from your hat etc etc!
2) Even in good weather, if near water, especially waterfalls or at the beach, isn't WR nice to have??
3) You can take dramatic shots in the rain!
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 15:01
Glad to see some bites

I must say though, I would enjoy seeing some of those great shots taken in the rain ..... I assume someone has loads of them of course .....

Good points Stephen, even I realise that it's about adding to the overall practicalities and versatility of an outing in wide ranging conditions ..... One thing though is, let's be realistic about those practical limits. You might not have to worry about spray and drips onto the camera body, but for any actual photography it is the lens front element that is the real limiting factor here ... Unless you want the creative rain soaked effect,began I'd suggest that issue rules most decent shots in such weather. ......
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/05/2015 - 15:03

derek897

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 15:52
I would have to agree with Nigel ' s point about the front element being the limiting factor, as I discovered last week. The lens I was using wasn't wr so I was using a brolly, but even if it had been wr the front element getting drops on it is what ruined the shots anyway. I think most of the hoods on the telephoto's would probably do a fair job of keeping the rain off the front element but for wide angle lenses probably not.
Derek
I know what i like, If not always why.

Stuey

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 18:18
I live in Wales, what is a cloudless sky
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

AuraTodd

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 19:05
Stuey wrote:
I live in Wales, what is a cloudless sky

Do they not have nice weather in Wales?

I'd like a wide angle WR lens but I don't think there is one.
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.